ZYpp or libzypp is a package manager engine that powers Linux applications like YaST, Zypper and the implementation of PackageKit for openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise3 Unlike some more basic package managers, it provides a satisfiability solver to compute package dependencies4 It is a free and open-source software project sponsored by Novell and licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2 or later ZYpp is implemented mostly in the programming language C++
Zypper is the native command-line interface of the ZYpp package manager to install, remove, update and query software packages of local or remote networked media Its graphical equivalent is the YaST package manager module It has been used in openSUSE since version 102 beta1 In openSUSE 111, Zypper reached version 10 On June 2, 2009, Ark Linux announced that it has completed its review of dependency solvers and has chosen ZYpp and its tools to replace the aging APT-RPM,5 as the first distribution to do so Zypper is also part of the mobile Linux distributions MeeGo, Sailfish OS, and Tizen
- 1 History
- 11 Purpose
- 12 Early days
- 13 SAT solver integration
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Following its consecutive acquisitions of Ximian and SuSE GmbH in 2003, Novell decided to merge both package management systems, YaST package manager and Red Carpet, in a best of breed approach, as the two solutions so far were used at Novell Looking at the extant open source tools and their maturity available back in 2005, none fulfilled the requirements, and were able to work smoothly with the extant Linux management infrastructure software developed by Ximian and SUSE, so it was decided to get the best ideas from extant pieces and to work on a new implementation Libzypp, the resulting library, was planned to be the software management engine of the SUSE distributions and the Linux Management component of the Novell ZENworks Management suite
The Libzypp's solver was a port from the Red Carpet solver, which was written to update packages in installed systems Using it for the full installing process brought it to its limits, and adding extensions such as support for weak dependencies and patches made it fragile and unpredictable6 Although this first version of ZYpp's solver worked satisfactorily, on the company enterprise products with the coupled ZMD daemon, it led to an openSUSE 101 release which came out in May 2006 with a system package not working as expected In December 2006, the openSUSE 102 release corrected some defects of the prior release, using the revisited ZYpp v2 ZMD was subsequently removed from the 103 release and reserved for only the company Enterprise products While ZYpp v3 provided openSUSE with a relatively good package manager, equivalent to other existing package managers, it suffered from some flaws in its implementation which greatly limited its speed performance
SAT solver integrationedit
An area where libzypp needed improvement was the speed of the dependency solver libsolv is being written and released under the revised BSD license7
Projects like Optimal Package Install/Uninstall Manager OPIUM89 and MANCOOSI10 were trying to fix dependency solving issues with a SAT solver Traditional solvers like Advanced Packaging Tool APT sometimes show unacceptable deficiencies SAT solvers, based on computational complexity theory, work differently from the usual tools such as APT11 It was decided to integrate SAT algorithms into the ZYpp stack; the solver algorithms used were based on the popular minisat solver12 The SAT solver implementation as it appears in openSUSE 110 is based on two major, but independent, blocks:
- Using a data dictionary approach to store and retrieve package and dependency information A new solv format was created, which stores a repository as a string dictionary, a relation dictionary and then all package dependencies Reading and merging multiple solv repositories takes only milliseconds
- Using satisfiability for computing package dependencies The Boolean satisfiability problem is a well-researched problem with many exemplar solvers available It is very fast, as package solving complexity is very low compared to other areas where SAT solvers are used Also, it does not need complex algorithms and can provide understandable suggestions by calculating proof of why a problem is unsolvable
After several months of work, the benchmark results of this fourth ZYpp version integrated with the SAT solver are more than encouraging, moving YaST and Zypper ahead of other RPM-based package managers in speed and size1314
- ^ Earliest known changelog
- ^ Releases
- ^ "Libzypp documentation"
- ^ "Libzypp project homepage"
- ^ "Another look at Linux packaging systems"
- ^ "Michael Schroeder, History of satsolver"
- ^ "libsolv on github"
- ^ Tucker, Chris; Shuffelton, David; Jhala, Ranjit; Lerner, Sorin 2007, "OPIUM: OPtimal Package Install/Uninstall Manager" PDF, 29th International Conference on Software Engineering, ICSE'07
- ^ EDOS Project Workpackage 2 Team March 2006, "Report on formal management of software dependencies", EDOS Project Deliverable Work Package 2, Deliverable 2
- ^ Le Berre, Daniel; Parrain, Anne 2008, "On SAT Technologies for dependency management and beyond" PDF, ASPL 2008, Limerick, Mancoosiorg
- ^ Burrows, Daniel June 2005, Modelling and Resolving Software Dependencies PDF
- ^ "Minisatse"
- ^ "yum and ZYpp speed / memory usage" 16 May 2008 Retrieved 23 October 2008
- ^ "Sneak Peeks at openSUSE 110: Package Management, with Duncan Mac-Vicar" 6 June 2008 Retrieved 23 October 2008
- Official website
- Sneak peeks at openSUSE new package management
www.zyppah.com, zyppah, zyppah commercial, zyppah coupon code, zyppah reviews, zyppah reviews and complaints, zyppah scam, zyppah snoring device, zyppah snoring device complaints, zyppah.com
ZYpp Information about
ZYpp viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.