Yuri Bregelmark bregel home inspections, mark bregel home inspector
Yuri Enohovich Bregel Russian: Юрий Энохович Брегель; 13 November 1925 – 7 August 2016 was one of the world's leading historians of Islamic Central Asia He published extensively on Persian- and Turkic-language history and historiography, and on political, economic and ethnic history in Central Asia and the Muslim world
- 1 Biography
- 2 Selected publications
- 21 Books
- 22 Edited works
- 23 Articles, chapters, and papers
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 Bibliography
Yuri Bregel was born in Moscow, the son of Enoch Bregel 1903–1993, a noted Soviet political economist When he was sixteen years old, his family relocated to the town of Fergana and in 1943 he joined the Soviet army where he was to serve in an anti-tank artillery unit He fought in the Crimea, Belorussia, Poland, and Germany; he was injured twice and decorated After the war, he enrolled at the History department at Moscow University, where he studied Middle Eastern, Central Asian and Islamic history But in the fall of 1949, Bregel was arrested and imprisoned on charges of "anti-Soviet activity" He spent the next five years in a hard labor camp in the northern Urals Upon his release, he resumed his studies and earned a doctorate at the Institute of Oriental Studies in Moscow in 1961 In 1955, he was married to Liliya Liusia Davydovna Rozenberg, then a doctoral student and later faculty at Moscow State University and a specialist on the social and administrative history of Portuguese India in the 16th and 17th centuries
In the 1960s and early '70s, Yuri Bregel's scholarship had already gained considerable reputation, having worked on the 10-volume collection and republication of Vasily Bartold's works; on the production of the famed Monuments of the Literature of the East Pamiatniki pis'mennosti Vostoka series and the Russian translation and significant expansion of Charles Storey's essential, multi-volume Persian Literature To these endeavors, Bregel added original scholarship on political, economic and ethnic history of 19th-century Khiva and its Turkmen peoples
In 1974, after some effort in his behalf by international colleagues, Bregel and his family were finally allowed to emigrate to Israel Bregel joined the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, where he became an endowed Chair and Professor of the History of the Muslim Peoples In 1981 he moved to the United States, to Bloomington Indiana, where he joined what was then Indiana University's Department of Uralic and Altaic Studies later renamed Department of Central Eurasian Studies, augmenting the department's research profile and course offerings in Central Asian history and historiography and in the study of Turkic Chagatai language and Persian manuscripts, while also enhancing the Library's holdings of rare primary and secondary sources
Bregel served as Director of Indiana University's Research Institute for Inner Asian Studies from 1986 to 1997, and as Director of Indiana University's Inner Asian and Uralic National Resource Center from 1989 to 1997 He served as consulting editor for the Encyclopaedia Iranica Foundation, senior editor for the Oriental Literature Public House in Moscow, a research fellow at the Institute for Oriental Studies Academy of Sciences of the Soviet Union, a member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, and a member of the Association for the Advancement of Central Asian Research and the Association for Central Asian Studies He authored numerous publications on the medieval and early modern history of Central Asia, including the 3-volume Bibliography of Islamic Central Asia 1995, the edition and translation of the important Khivan chronicle Firdaws al-iqbal 1988 and 1999 and An Historical Atlas of Central Asia 2003, in addition to serving as editor-in-chief of Papers on Inner Asia and many other publications
- Khorezmskie turkmeny v XIX veke, Moscow, 1961
- Dokumenty arkhiva khivinskikh khanov po istorii i etnografii karakalpakov, Moscow, 1967
- Ch A Stori, Persidskaia literatura: Bio-bibliograficheskii obzor , vols I-III, Moscow, 1972
- Shir Muhammad Mirab Munis and Muhammad Riza Mirab Agahi Firdaws al-Iqbal: History of Khorezm Text Edition Leiden: Brill, 1988; English translation, 1999
- Bibliography of Islamic Central Asia Indiana University Uralic and Altaic Series 1995 3 Vols
- Shir Muhammad Mirab Muni's and Muhammad Reza Mirab Agahi, Firdaws al-Iqbal: History of Khorezm translated from the Chaghatay and annotated Leiden: Brill 1999
- An Historical Atlas of Central Asia Leiden: Brill 2003
- Muhammad ibn Nadzhib Bakran, Djhakhan-name Kniga o mire, ed Iu E Borschevskii Moscow, 1960
- Poslovitsy i pogovorki narodov Vostoka, Moscow, 1961
- V V Bartol'd, Sochineniia, vols I, II/1, II/2, III, V, VII, VIII
Articles, chapters, and papers
- “Barthold and Modern Oriental Studies,” International Journal of Middle Eastern Studies 12 1980, 385–403
- "The Role of Central Asia in the History of the Muslim East," Asia Society Occasional Papers Afghanistan Council, 1980
- “The Sarts in the Khanate of Khiva,” Journal of Asian History 12 1978, 121–151
- "Nomadic and Sedentary Elements among the Turkmens," Central Asiatic Journal 25/1-2 1981, 5-37
- "Tribal Tradition and Dynastic History: The Early Rulers of the Qongrats According to Munis" Asian and African Studies 16/3 1982
- '"Turko-Mongol Influences in Central Asia" in Turco-Persia in Historical Perspective Ed R Canfield Cambridge University Press 1991
- Notes on the Study of Central Asia Papers on Inner Asia 28, 1996
- The Administration of Bukhara under the Manghits and Some Tashkent Manuscripts Papers on Inner Asia 34, 2000
- List of Eastern Bloc defectors
- ^ DeWeese, 1
- ^ "YURI BREGEL" The Boston Globe Retrieved 11 August 2016
- DeWeese, Devin, ed 2001 Studies on Central Asian History in honor of Yuri Bregel Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University ISBN 0-933070-48-9 CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list link
mark bregel home inspections, mark bregel home inspector
Yuri Bregel Information about
Yuri Bregel viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.