William Nelson Cromwellwilliam nelson cromwell, william nelson cromwell foundation
William Nelson Cromwell January 17, 1854 – July 19, 1948 was an American attorney active in promotion of the Panama Canal and other major ventures
Life and careeredit
He was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, in an Episcopalian household, by his mother, Sarah M Brokaw, a Civil War widow His father, John Nelson Cromwell, died in the Battle of Vicksburgcitation needed
He worked as an accountant for the attorney Algernon Sydney Sullivan, who paid for his education at Columbia Law School and made him a partner in Sullivan & Cromwell in 1879citation needed According to Stephen Kinzer's 2006 book Overthrow, in 1898 the chief of the French Canal Syndicate a group that owned large swathes of land across Panama, Philippe Bunau-Varilla, hired him to lobby the US Congress to build a canal across Panama, and not across Nicaragua, as rivals would have itcitation needed
On June 19, 1902, three days after senators received stamps showing volcanic activity in Nicaragua although this was more the work of Philippe Bunau-Varilla, they voted for the Panama route for the canal For his lobbying efforts, he received the sum of $800,0001 about 20 million USD today After the Hay–Bunau-Varilla Treaty was ratified, Cromwell was paid another $2,000,000 about 60 million USD today – at the time, the highest amount ever paid to a lawyer2
By 1907, he was a member of the Consolidated Stock Exchange of New York, one of around 13,0003
One of his main pro bono activities was in the founding of "the Society of Friends of Roumania" in 1920 under the patronage of Her Majesty Queen Marie of Romania, granddaughter of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom Under his tutelage, the New York-based Society promoted numerous exchanges between the two countries and published the distinguished Roumania – A Quarterly Reviewcitation needed
- ^ Kinzer, Stephen 2006 Overthrow: America's century of regime change from Hawaii to Iraq New York: Henry Holt and Company pp 58–59 ISBN 0-8050-8240-9
- ^ LAWYER WHO GOT A $2,000,000 FEE, in the Tacoma Times; published March 2, 1904; retrieved January 27, 2015 via Chronicling America
- ^ Armstrong Nelson, Samuel 1907, The Consolidated Stock Exchange of New York: Its History, Organization, Machinery and Methods, pp 19–23, retrieved February 6, 2017
- Mellander, Gustavo A 1971 The United States in Panamanian Politics: The Intriguing Formative Years Daville, IL: Interstate Publishers OCLC 138568
- Mellander, Gustavo A; Mellander, Nelly Maldonado 1999 Charles Edward Magoon: The Panama Years Río Piedras, Puerto Rico: Editorial Plaza Mayor ISBN 1-56328-155-4
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1850s is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
john nelson cromwell civil war, william nelson cromwell, william nelson cromwell foundation, william nelson cromwell prize
William Nelson Cromwell Information about
William Nelson Cromwell
William Nelson Cromwell
William Nelson Cromwell viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.