Virginia Postrelvirginia postrel, virginia postrel in praise of chain stores
Virginia Inman Postrel born January 14, 1960 is an American political and cultural writer of broadly libertarian, or classical liberal, views
She is best known for her non-fiction books, The Future and Its Enemies and The Substance of Style In the former she explains her philosophy, "dynamism", a forward-looking and change-seeking philosophy that generally favors unregulated organization through "spontaneous order" She contrasts it with "stasis", a philosophy that favors top-down control and regulation and is marked by desire to maintain the present state of affairs In November 2013, she published a third book, The Power of Glamour, which defined glamour as "nonverbal rhetoric" that “leads us to feel that the life we dream of exists, and to desire it even more”
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 3 Health care, bioethics, and aesthetics
- 4 See also
- 5 Bibliography
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Early life and education
Virginia Inman was born and raised in Greenville, South Carolina Her father was an engineer and her mother was a homemaker who later went on to get her master's degree and teach at the college level Virginia went on to college at Princeton University, graduating in 1982 with a degree in English Literature
Postrel was editor of Reason from July 1989 to January 2000, and remained on the masthead as editor-at-large through 2001 Prior to that, she was a reporter for Inc and the Wall Street Journal She currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education FIRE From 2000 to 2006, she wrote an economics column for the New York Times and from 2006 to 2009 she wrote the "Commerce and Culture" column for The Atlantic She also appeared on the last episode of the third season of Penn and Teller's Bullshit!
Postrel wrote the biweekly column "Commerce & Culture" for the Wall Street Journal until April 2011 Since May 2011, she has written a biweekly column for Bloomberg View
Health care, bioethics, and aesthetics
Postrel has written several articles on health care and bioethics, including accounts of her own experiences
In March 2006 Postrel donated a kidney to an acquaintance, writer Sally Satel She has recounted the experience, and referred to it in several subsequent articles and blog posts, many of which are critical of legal prohibitions against compensating organ donors In some of the pieces, she discusses strategies for working around these restrictions, such as organ donor transplant chains
In her March 2009 article "My Drug Problem" in The Atlantic, Postrel wrote about her own experience of being treated for breast cancer with the expensive drug Herceptin She questioned if such a costly treatment would be available to others and if the risky research that makes such innovative treatments possible would be profitable under the proposed health care reforms in the United States
Postrel has also referred to her experience as a cancer patient in her writing about the importance of design aesthetics in hospitals and the competitive forces that drive them to create more attractive environments for patients This ties into the thesis of her second book, that beauty is more than simply a superficial, frivolous trait and can go more than skin deep Notions of beauty and desirability, and thoughts on what makes good design good beyond the needs of sound engineering, inform her work at the "Deep Glamour" blog
- List of notable organ transplant donors and recipients
- The Future and Its Enemies: The Growing Conflict Over Creativity, Enterprise, and Progress, Free Press, December 1, 1998 ISBN 0-684-86269-7
- The Substance of Style: How the Rise of Aesthetic Value Is Remaking Commerce, Culture, and Consciousness, HarperCollins, September 2003 ISBN 0-06-018632-1
- The Power of Glamour: Longing and the Art of Visual Persuasion, Simon & Schuster, November 5, 2013 ISBN 978-1416561118
- ^ a b c "Interview with Virginia Postrel : The Future and Its Enemies", Booknotes, PBS, February 14, 1999
- ^ Postrel, Virginia 2007-03-18 "An 18th-Century Brain in a 21st-Century Head" Cato Unbound Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ "The Future and Its Enemies by Virginia Postrel" Dynamistcom Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ Silber, Kenneth 2013-11-01 "Review: The Power of Glamour" Quicksilber Retrieved 2013-11-07
- ^ "Virginia Postrel's bio" Dynamistcom Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ "Board of Directors - The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education" FIRE 2003-12-19 Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ "Virginia Postrel - Authors" The Atlantic Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ Shlaes, Amity 2006-03-15 "I Would Give My Left Kidney to Prove I'm Right: Amity Shlaes" Bloomberg Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ Satel, Sally "Desperately Seeking a Kidney" Nytimescom Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ "Virginia Postrel on donating a kidney" Dynamistcom Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ Postrel, Virginia 2009-07-09 "With Functioning Kidneys for All - Virginia Postrel" The Atlantic Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ "My Drug Problem" Theatlanticcom Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ Postrel, Virginia 2009-03-30 "Defending "My Drug Problem" - Virginia Postrel" The Atlantic Retrieved 2013-10-01
- ^ Postrel, Virginia 2008-04-01 "The Art of Healing - Virginia Postrel" The Atlantic Retrieved 2013-10-01
- Official website
- Roberts, Russ November 27, 2006 "Postrel on Style" EconTalk Library of Economics and Liberty
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- 2004 TEDTalk "The power of glamour" TED Conference
- Video discussion/dialogue with Virginia Postrel and Dan Drezner on Bloggingheadstv
- Interview featuring Postrel on Reasontv
virginia postrel, virginia postrel blog, virginia postrel bloomberg view, virginia postrel donald trump, virginia postrel glamour, virginia postrel husband, virginia postrel in praise of chain stores, virginia postrel superhero worship, virginia postrel the aesthetic imperative, virginia postrel wikipedia
Virginia Postrel Information about
Virginia Postrel viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.