Upjohnupjohn pharmaceuticals, upjohn.com
The Upjohn Company was a pharmaceutical manufacturing firm founded in 1886 in Kalamazoo, Michigan by Dr William E Upjohn, an 1875 graduate of the University of Michigan medical school The company was originally formed to make friable pills, which were specifically designed to be easily digested These could be "reduced to a powder under the thumb", a strong marketing argument at the time
In 1995, Upjohn merged with Pharmacia AB, to form Pharmacia & Upjohn
- 1 Chemistry
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 External links
ChemistryUnicap, a multivitamin produced by Upjohn
Upjohn developed a process for the large scale production of cortisone The oxygen atom at the 11 position in this steroid is an absolute requirement for biological activity There are however no known natural sources for starting materials that contain that feature The only method for preparing this drug prior to 1952 was a lengthy synthesis starting from cholic acid isolated from bile In 1952 two Upjohn biochemists, Dury Peterson and Herb Murray announced that they were able to introduce this crucial oxygen atom by fermentation of the steroid progesterone with a common mold of the genus Rhizopus Over the next several years a group of chemists headed by John Hogg developed a process for preparing cortisone from the soybean sterol stigmasterol The microbiological oxygenation is a key step in this process
Subsequently, Upjohn together with Schering biochemically converted cortisone into the more potent steroid prednisone by a bacterial fermentation In chemical research, the company is best known for the development of the Upjohn dihydroxylation by V VanRheenen, R C Kelly and D Y Cha in 1976 Upjohn's most well-known drugs before the acquisition by Pfizer were Xanax, Halcion, Motrin, Lincocin, and Rogaine
- W E Upjohn Institute for Employment Research
- ^ Kalamazoo Public Library - Local History - William E Upjohn: Person of the Century 1853 - 1932 Internet Archive
- ^ Resource Informagen Internet Archive
- ^ Hogg, John A 1992 "Steroids, the steroid community, and Upjohn in perspective: A profile of innovation" Steroids 57 12: 593–616 doi:101016/0039-128X9290013-Y PMID 1481225
- ^ http://wwwprednisonesideeffectsorg/prednisone-half-life-is-a-good-medicine/
- ^ http://dailymednlmnihgov/dailymed/drugInfocfmid=3735
- ^ Vanrheenen, V; Kelly, RC; Cha, DY 1976 "An improved catalytic OsO4 oxidation of olefins to cis-1,2-glycols using tertiary amine oxides as the oxidant" Tetrahedron Letters 17 23: 1973–6 doi:101016/S0040-40390078093-2
- Upjohn Co v United States 449 US 383 1981
- Memories of The Upjohn Company
upjohn 55 pill, upjohn 90, upjohn co. v. united states, upjohn community care center, upjohn institute, upjohn nursing home, upjohn pharmaceuticals, upjohn toilet system, upjohn warning, upjohn.com
Upjohn Information about
Upjohn viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Random Posts (searchxengine.com)
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.