TwitPic was a website and app that allowed users to post pictures to the Twitter microblogging service TwitPic was often used by citizen journalists to upload and distribute pictures in near real-time as an event is taking place
- 1 History
- 2 Description
- 3 Related applications
- 4 In media
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
TwitPic was launched in 2008 by Noah Everett In an interview with Mixergy, Noah Everett revealed that he had been offered a price in the range of 10 million US dollars for his company but he declined the offer In 2011, Everett launched Heello, a service that also supports text posts and videos but is less dependent on Twitter Twitpic's first app was released on 7 May 2012
On September 4, 2014, Twitpic announced that it would shut down on September 25, 2014, following rapidly declining usage and trademark infringement threats by Twitter, Inc, threatening to revoke its access to the service's APIs if they do not withdraw their filings to trademark "Twitpic" However, shortly afterward on September 18, 2014, TwitPic announced that it would not shut down, as it had been acquired by an unspecified company TwitPic followed up on October 16, 2014 with an update to their original announcement, stating that they could not reach an agreement, and were going to follow through with their shutdown on October 25, 2014 On October 25, 2014, Twitpic announced that they had reached an agreement with Twitter to give them the Twitpic domain and photo archive
TwitPic could be used independently of Twitter as an image hosting website similar to Flickr However, several characteristics made this site a companion for Twitter:
- TwitPic uses usernames and passwords from Twitter
- Comments to photographs are sent as reply tweets
- TwitPic URLs are already short, making it unnecessary to use URL shortening
TweetDeck, Echofon, Tweetie, Twitfile, and Twitterrific are iPhone applications that could upload photos to TwitPic ÜberTwitter, OpenBeak and Twitter for BlackBerry are BlackBerry applications that had the capability of uploading images to TwitPic WebOS phones could upload images to TwitPic using the Tweed application Android phones could upload pictures to TwitPic with the Twidroid and Seesmic applications Windows Phone devices could upload pictures to TwitPic with the TouchTwit application All INQ mobile phones had the capability of uploading a picture immediately after it was taken due to the social networking nature of the phone
Both the official Twitter for Android and Twitter for iPhone applications featured TwitPic as an option for sending pictures to Twitter Yfrog was another popular picture-sending option offered by both applications
According to a report by Sysomos, as of 30 May 2011, TwitPic was the leading third-party image hosting service for Twitter Of the nearly 225 million daily image shares on Twitter, 457% of them came from TwitPic Twitter announced partnership with Photobucket to be the default photo sharing application on 1 June 2011, with the potential to significantly affect TwitPic's market share
In January 2009, US Airways Flight 1549 experienced multiple bird strikes and had to be ditched in the Hudson River after takeoff from LaGuardia Airport in New York City Janis Krums, passenger on one of the ferries who rushed to help took a picture of the downed plane as passengers were still evacuating, and tweeted it via TwitPic before traditional media arrived at the scene The TwitPic service crashed as thousands of people tried to access the photo at the same time TwitPic also crashed on April 1, 2009 as a result of the large number of photos and people viewing these photos being posted from the G20 protests in London
- ^ "Twitpiccom Site Info" Alexa Internet Retrieved 2014-04-01
- ^ a b "About TwitPic" Twitpiccom Retrieved 2009-01-19
- ^ a b http://blogtwitpiccom/2014/10/twitpics-future/
- ^ Gibbs, Mark 2008-03-31 "Micro-blogging" Network World Retrieved 2009-01-19
- ^ Nuttall, Chris 2009-01-19 "An Obamaramic inauguration" THE FINANCIAL TIMES LTD Retrieved 2009-01-19
- ^ Dreilinger, Ethan 2009-01-16 "Fighting For A Slice Of Bandwith sic" CBS News Retrieved 2009-01-19
- ^ "How A Spare Computer Became Twitpic" Mixergy Retrieved 2010-01-17
- ^ "Twitpic's First App" Retrieved 2012-05-07
- ^ a b "Twitpic is shutting down" Twitpic blog Retrieved 4 September 2014
- ^ "Twitpic says it won't be shutting down after all" The Verge Retrieved 19 September 2014
- ^ "Twitpic angers users over copyright grab" BBC News 2011-05-12
- ^ "Your content, your copyrights" TwitPic May 10, 2011 Retrieved February 3, 2013
- ^ Wagner, Mitch 2008-07-16 "iPhone Free Software: Twitterific Puts Twitter In Your Pocket" InformationWeek Retrieved 2009-01-19
- ^ studio, naan 2008 "TwitterFon - How to Use" TwitterFon Retrieved 2009-04-10
- ^ "How People Currently Share Pictures On Twitter" Sysomos 2011-06-02 Retrieved 2011-06-02
- ^ Wendland, Mike 2009-01-16 "Is this a photo showing plane splashing down" Detroit Free Press Archived from the original on 2009-01-22 Retrieved 2009-01-19
- ^ Marrone, Matt 2009-01-16 "Twitter grabs spotlight with Janis Krums' US Airways crash photo, then won't shut up about it" New York Daily News Archived from the original on 2009-01-19 Retrieved 2009-01-19
- ^ Taylor, Catharine P 2009-01-16 "Is Citizen Journalist Coverage of a Plane Crash More Important Than a Plane Crash" CBS Interactive Inc Retrieved 2009-01-19
- Official website
- How TwitPic is bringing in over $15 mil a year from simple Twitter app
http://twitpic.com, twitpic, twitpic archive, twitpic search, twitpic size, twitpic upload, twitpic viewer, twitpic.com, twitpic.com/upload, www.twitpic.com
TwitPic Information about
TwitPic viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.