Treason Act 1702treason act of 1702
The Treason Act 1702 1 Anne Stat 2 c 21 is an Act of the Parliament of England, passed to enforce the line of succession to the English throne today the British throne, previously established by the Bill of Rights 1689 and the Act of Settlement 1701
The Act makes it treason to "endeavour to deprive or hinder any person who shall be the next in succession to the crown for the time being from succeeding after the decease of her Majesty whom God long preserve to the imperial crown of this realm and the dominions and territories thereunto belonging"
Originally a capital offence, the penalty was reduced in 1998 to life imprisonment
Although the Act was passed by the English Parliament, it was later extended to Scotland by the Treason Act 1708, following the Union of the two kingdoms in the previous year The Parliament of Ireland passed a law to the same effect in 1703, the Treason Act Ireland 1703 c5 This is still in force in Northern Ireland
- 1 In fiction
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 External links
- In the movie King Ralph, Ralph used the Treason Act of 1702 as his justification in ordering the arrest of Lord Graves John Hurt on the grounds that Graves had interfered with Ralph's succession to the throne After silently going through the Mnemonic Verse, he mentioned it was passed by William III, when in fact it was passed in the first year of Queen Anne's reign
- In the movie Johnny English, the "jumped-up Frenchman" Pascal Sauvage John Malkovich is tried for treason under this Act when his plot to seize the throne is foiled, and the audience is told that the crime still carries a penalty of death by hanging However, as the film was released in 2003 the penalty was downgraded to life imprisonment in 1998, it renders the imposition of the death penalty inaccurate
- High treason in the United Kingdom
- Succession to the Crown Act 1707
- Treason Act
- ^ This Act does not have a statutory short title, but is commonly known by this name; The Stationery Office, Chronological Table of the Statutes, 2007, p76
- ^ Some volumes cite it as c17
- Official text of the Act 1 Anne Stat 2 1702 as in force today including any amendments within the United Kingdom, from the UK Statute Law Database
- Official text of the Treason Act Ireland 1703 as in force today including any amendments within the United Kingdom, from the UK Statute Law Database
|Acts of Parliament by states preceding
the Kingdom of Great Britain
|Acts of Parliament of the
Kingdom of Great Britain
|Acts of the Parliament of Ireland||
|Acts of Parliament of the United Kingdom of
Great Britain and Ireland and the United
Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
|Church of England measures||
|Legislation of devolved institutions||
|Orders-in-Council / Orders in Council||
treason act of 1702
Treason Act 1702 Information about
Treason Act 1702
Treason Act 1702
Treason Act 1702 viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.