Timothy Sandstimothy sands, timothy sands virginia tech
Timothy D Sands born March 26, 1958 is an American materials engineer, researcher and the 16th president of Virginia Tech Sands previously served as the acting president and as the provost of Purdue University
- 1 Education
- 2 Current research
- 3 Career
- 31 UC Berkeley
- 32 Purdue University
- 33 Virginia Tech
- 34 Honors and awards
- 4 Family
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Sands earned his BS with Highest Honors in Engineering Physics in 1980, his MS in Material Science and Engineering in 1981, and his PhD in Material Science and Engineering in 1984, all from the University of California, Berkeley
Sands has published more than 260 papers and has 16 patents in nanotechnology and microelectronics Sands' current research focus is on the development of novel nanocomposite materials for environmentally friendly and cost-effective solid-state lighting, direct conversion of heat to electrical power and thermoelectric refrigeration Sands is considered a leader in the field of light-emitting diodes LEDs
Sands began his career with an internship as a researcher at the Solar Energy Research Institute SERI, now known as the National Renewable Energy Laboratory NREL in Golden, Colorado where he focused his efforts on renewable energy research Following his graduation from UC Berkeley's doctoral program in Materials Science and Engineering in 1984, Sands continued his career as a member of the technical staff of the New Jersey-based technology firm Bellcore, now known as Telcordia In 1991, Sands became the director of the Thin Films and Interface Science Research Group, and in 1992 he became the director of the Nonvolatile Memory Research Group
Sands left industry in 1993 to return to academia as a professor in the Materials Science and Engineering department at his alma mater, UC Berkeley In 1997, Sands became the Chair of the Applied Science and Technology Graduate Group at UC Berkeley
In 2002, Sands left UC Berkeley for Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana to join the engineering faculty as the Basil S Turner Professor of Engineering In 2006, Sands was tapped to lead the Birck Nanotechnology Center, the centerpiece of Purdue University's Discovery Park, as Director In 2010, Sands was appointed by Purdue University's Board of Trustees as Purdue's Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost In June 2012, Sands was appointed acting president of the Purdue University system following the retirement of its 11th president, France Córdova, until president-elect and then Indiana governor Mitch Daniels stepped down at the end of his gubernatorial term As acting President, Sands presided over Purdue's West Lafayette and regional campuses In January 2013, Sands returned to his role as Provost where he was responsible for all of Purdue's schools and colleges across campuses
On December 6, 2013, Sands was announced as Virginia Tech's 16th president effective June 1, 2014
Honors and awards
In 2009 and 2010, Sands was honored as a fellow of both the Materials Research Society MRS and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers IEEE, respectively In 2013, Sands was honored as a charter fellow in the 101-member inaugural class of the National Academy of Inventors NAI Sands is also a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society and Tau Beta Pi
Sands is married to Laura Sands, PhD, a faculty member in the Center for Gerontology and Professor of Human Development at Virginia Tech, as well as editor-in-chief of the open-access journal Innovation in Aging The Sands have four children, all of whom are Purdue graduates Timothy Sands grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, and was valedictorian at his high school
- ^ Hinckner, Lawrence December 6, 2013 "Board of visitors appoints Timothy D Sands as next president of Virginia Tech" Virginia Tech News Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Archived from the original on April 2, 2014 Retrieved May 29, 2014
- ^ Sands, Timothy "Timothy Sands" Purdue University Purdue University Retrieved 13 December 2012
- ^ "Timothy D Sands" Purdue University Purdue University Archived from the original on 19 July 2012 Retrieved 13 December 2012
- ^ a b Weddle, Eric Aug 8, 2012 "Meet Purdue's acting president, Tim Sands" Journal & Courier Retrieved 12 August 2012
- ^ a b c d e Sands, Timothy "CURRICULUM VITAE" PDF Purdue University Retrieved 12 August 2012
- ^ "Purdue University - Academic Affairs and Provost" Purdueedu 2010-04-01 Archived from the original on 2010-09-26 Retrieved 2012-06-20
- ^ National Academy of Inventors, Top Scientists and Innovators honored by National Academy of Inventors, https://wwwreuterscom/article/2013/01/07/nai-2012-fellows-idUSnPnDC37896+160+PRN20130107
- ^ "School of Nursing Personnel - Laura Prouty Sands" Purdue University Retrieved 12 August 2012
- Timothy Sands biography – Virginia Tech
# denotes an acting or interim president
timothy sands, timothy sands akron ohio, timothy sands cool, timothy sands facebook, timothy sands pga, timothy sands purdue, timothy sands salary, timothy sands thompson, timothy sands twitter, timothy sands virginia tech
Timothy Sands Information about
Timothy Sands viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.