The Black Hole Warthe black hole war by leonard susskind, the black hole war
Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics is a 2008 popular science book by American theoretical physicist Leonard Susskind The book covers the black hole information paradox, and the related scientific dispute between Stephen Hawking and Susskind Susskind is known for his work on string theory and wrote a previous popular science book, The Cosmic Landscape, in 2005
- 1 Overview
- 2 Reception
- 3 See also
- 4 References
Hawking proposed that information is lost in black holes, and not preserved in Hawking radiation Susskind disagreed, arguing that Hawking's conclusions violated one of the most basic scientific laws of the universe, the conservation of information As Susskind depicts in his book, The Black Hole War was a "genuine scientific controversy" between scientists favoring an emphasis on the principles of relativity against those in favor of quantum mechanics The debate led to the holographic principle, proposed by Gerard 't Hooft and refined by Susskind, which suggested that the information is in fact preserved, stored on the boundary of a system
Sean M Carroll in the Wall Street Journal praised the book for successfully explaining the topic, despite the difficulty of the subject, in a way that lay readers could understand Carroll writes that the book contains a "wealth of anecdotes", and that Susskind's "wit and storytelling abilities are pleasantly on display in" the book George Johnson of The New York Times was critical of the beginning of the book, writing that the introduction on the basic concepts of relativity and quantum mechanics was excessive, especially for readers who have already read other popular science books on theoretical physics Time Magazine's Lev Grossman gave the book a B+, saying that "you could dismiss it all as nerd-on-nerd violence, but then you'd miss out on Susskind explaining why the universe is actually a hologram" Jesse Cohen of the Los Angeles Times criticized the book for its "tendency to meander" with personal anecdotes, although the book "glows with the warmth of conversation" The New Scientist included the book on its 2008 editor's picks list and the Washington Post listed it as one of the best books of 2008 in their annual holiday shopping guide
- Thorne–Hawking–Preskill bet
- ^ a b Leonard Susskind 7 July 2008 "Introduction" The Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics Hachette Inc ISBN 978-0-316-01640-7 Retrieved 5 August 2012
- ^ a b Carrol, Sean 28 July 2008 "The Black Hole War" Discover Magazine Retrieved 6 August 2012
- ^ Timmer, John 31 July 2011 "How an argument with Hawking suggested the Universe is a hologram" Ars Technica Retrieved 6 August 2012
- ^ Carroll, Sean 28 July 2012 "Lost in Space" Wall Street Journal Retrieved 6 August 2012
- ^ Johnson, George 22 August 2008 "The Theory That Ate the World" New York TImes Retrieved 6 August 2012
- ^ Grossman, Lev 10 July 2008 "5 Things You Need to Know About" Time Retrieved 6 August 2012
- ^ Cohen, Jesse 13 July 2008 "Science Friction" Los Angeles Times Retrieved 6 August 2012
- ^ Gefner, Amanda 10 December 2008 "Editor's picks 2008" New Scientist Retrieved 6 August 2012
- ^ "Best Books of 2008" Washington Post 7 December 2008 Retrieved 6 August 2012
the black hole war, the black hole war by leonard susskind, the black hole war pdf, the black hole war review, the black hole warrensburg ny, the black hole wars
The Black Hole War Information about
The Black Hole War
The Black Hole War
The Black Hole War viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.