Ten Days of Bresciaten days of brescia university, ten days of brescia italy city
The Ten Days of Brescia Italian: Dieci giornate di Brescia was a revolt which broke out in the northern Italian city of that name, which lasted from March 23 to April 1, 1849
In the early 19th century Brescia was part of the Austrian puppet state called Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia The revolt, headed by the patriot Tito Speri, began on the same day as the Battle of Novara though news of Austria's victory there had not yet reached Brescia
The Austrian troops under general Nugent, were initially surprised and retired to the castle, from which they heavily cannonaded the city, damaging many of Brescia's historical monuments A total encirclement of Brescia was established by the Austrians beginning on the 8th day of the revolt, when reinforcements arrived The following day General Haynau, later nicknamed "The Hyena of Brescia", came and demanded the unconditioned surrender of the Bresciani As the latter refused, the fighting continued until late night, when the heads of the revolt decided to surrender The following day April 1, however, the Austrian troops sacked the city and massacred numerous inhabitants before the surrender could be signed
Some 1,000 citizens were killed during the battle For its fierce resistance, the city of Brescia earned the surname Leonessa d'Italia Lioness of Italy
- ^ a b Corti, Siro 1885 Breve storia del Risorgimento italiano narrata alla gioventù Turin
- ^ Wochenblatt, Freitag, 6 April 1849 Wochenblatt für den Königlich-Bayerischen Gerichtsbezirk Zweibrücken No 41 Zweibrücken
- ^ a b W & R Chambers 1868 Chambers's encyclopaedia: Vol 2 London
- ^ Bradshaw, George 1898 Bradshaw's illustrated hand-book to Italy London
- ^ Murray, John 1858 Handbook for travellers in northern Italy Part I and Part II London
- ^ Stramacci, Mauro 1991 Goffredo Mameli: tra un inno e una battaglia Rome
- ^ a b c d e f g Aus der Kaiserlich Königlichen Hof- und Staatsdruckerei 1850 Kriegsbegebenheiten bei der Kaiserlich österreichischen Armee in Italien vom 20 März bis 1 April 1849 Vienna
- ^ a b Rüstow, Wilhelm 1862 Der italienische Krieg von 1848 und 1849 Zürich
- ^ Wagener, Friedrich Wilhelm Hermann 1862 Staats- und Gesellschafts-Lexikon Berlin
- ^ a b Sked, Alan 2011 Radetzky: Imperial Victor and Military Genius New York
- ^ Schweigerd, Carl Adam 1857 Geschichte des KK Linien-Infanterie-Regimentes No 8, Erzherzog Ludwig Vienna
- ^ Keates, Jonathan 2005 The siege of Venice New York
- ^ Colburn, Henry 1860 The United service magazine, Part 1 London
- ^ July-December VolII 1859 The Eclectic review London
- Battle of Novara 1849
ten days of brescia calcio, ten days of brescia college, ten days of brescia italy city, ten days of brescia university
Ten Days of Brescia Information about
Ten Days of Brescia
Ten Days of Brescia
Ten Days of Brescia viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.