Ted Sizerted sizer coalition of essential schools, ted sizer
Theodore Ryland Sizer June 23, 1932 – October 21, 2009 was a leader of educational reform in the United States, the founder and eventually President Emeritus of the Essential school movement and was known for challenging longstanding practices and assumptions about the functioning of American secondary schools Beginning in the late 1970s, he had worked with hundreds of high schools, studying the development and design of the American educational system, leading to his major work Horace's Compromise in 1984 In the same year, he founded the Coalition of Essential Schools based on the principles espoused in Horace's Compromise
Sizer was born in New Haven, Connecticut to Theodore Sizer, Sr 1892–1967, an art history professor at Yale University He received his BA in English from Yale in 1953 and subsequently served in the Army as an artillery officer He later described his experience leading soldiers in a democratic and egalitarian fashion as a formative influence on his ideas about education After teaching in high schools, he earned his masters and doctorate in education from Harvard University in 1957 and 1961, respectively He was a faculty member and later dean of the Harvard Graduate School of Education, a position he held during the 1969 Harvard student strike While dean, he reorganized the school into seven departments, expanding the resources available for research particularly in the area of urban education, while expanding minority enrollment In 1970, he received a Guggenheim Fellowship for Education
Sizer left Harvard to serve as headmaster of Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts from 1972 to 1981, leaving to lead a study of American high schools sponsored by the National Association of Secondary School Principals and the National Association of Independent Schools From 1983 to 1997, Sizer worked at Brown University as a professor and chair of the education department, and in 1993, he became the Founding Director of the Annenberg Institute for School Reform
During his years at Brown, he produced most of his books, including Horace's Compromise In it, he examined the fundamental compromise at the heart of allegedly successful American high schools He suggested that the students agree to generally behave in exchange for the schools agreeing not to push them too hard or challenge them too severely Thus, he widened the scope of schools that were failing to do their best to educate children far beyond the traditionally criticized poor and urban schools and challenged the conceptions of what could be considered a successful school The ideas explored in his Horace Trilogy supply much of the foundation of the Coalition of Essential Schools
After retiring from Brown, Professor Sizer took a one-year position during the 1998–99 school year as co-principal with his wife Nancy Faust Sizer of the Francis W Parker Charter Essential School, of which he was a Trustee Emeritus and helped to found Their book, Keeping School coauthored with Deborah Meier and Nancy Faust Sizer, drew from this experience From 1997 through 2006, Sizer returned to the Harvard Graduate School of Education as a visiting professor, co-teaching a course on redesigning the American secondary school with his wife, Nancy, while he continued to work on the issues of integrating the multiple services that low socio-economic status families need in poor communities
His wife, Nancy Faust Sizer, whom he married in 1955, was also an educator, and they had four children He died at age 77 on October 21, 2009, at his home in Harvard, Massachusetts, due to colon cancer
- The Age of the Academies 1964
- Secondary Schools at the Turn of the Century 1964
- Places for Learning, Places for Joy 1973
- Horace's Compromise: The Dilemma of the American High School 1984
- Horace's School: Redesigning the American High School 1992
- Horace's Hope: What Works for the American High School 1997
- The Students Are Watching: Schools and the Moral Contract 1999, co-authored with Nancy Sizer
- Keeping School: Letters to Families from Principals of Two Small Schools 2003, co-authored with Deborah Meier & Nancy Faust Sizer
- The Red Pencil: Convictions From Experience in Education 2004
- The New American High School 2013, posthumously
- ^ a b "Theodore R Sizer" Archived from the original on 2006-09-30
- ^ "Theodore Ryland Sizer, born 1932" Harvard Graduate School of Education Harvard University Retrieved 29 April 2014
- ^ "Theodore Ryland Sizer, born 1932 Dean, 1964-1972"
- ^ "Theodore RSizer" John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- ^ "Ted Sizer: A Vision for Education" Archived from the original on 2006-09-04
- ^ "Who the Heck is Ted Sizer" Archived from the original on 2010-12-18
- ^ "Profile of the Parker School" Archived from the original on 2006-08-21
- ^ "Harvard Graduate School of Education Obituary"
- ^ Jay Mathews, "A visionary's final ideas on fixing high schools", The Washington Post, 24 July 2013 https://wwwwashingtonpostcom/blogs/class-struggle/post/a-visionarys-final-ideas-on-fixing-high-schools/2013/07/24/0b4f0442-f427-11e2-9434-60440856fadf_bloghtml Retrieved 15 September 2013
- Fox, Margalit 22 October 2009 "Theodore R Sizer, Leading Education-Reform Advocate, Dies at 77" New York Times Retrieved May 25, 2010
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Ted Sizer|
- Theodore R Sizer Papers, 1939-2009, John Hay Library, Brown University
|Alumni||List of Phillips Academy alumni|
ted sizer, ted sizer 10 common principles, ted sizer articles, ted sizer biography, ted sizer brown university, ted sizer coalition of essential schools, ted sizer education, ted sizer horace trilogy, ted sizer philosophy, ted sizer quotes
Ted Sizer Information about
Ted Sizer viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.