Steroid-induced osteoporosissteroid induced osteoporosis, steroid induced osteoporosis icd 10
Steroid-induced osteoporosis SIOP is osteoporosis arising due to use of glucocorticoids steroid hormones - analogous to Cushing's syndrome and involving mainly the axial skeleton The synthetic glucocorticoid prescription drug prednisone is a main candidate after prolonged intake Bisphosphonates are beneficial in reducing the risk of vertebral fractures Some professional guidelines recommend prophylactic calcium and vitamin D supplementation in patients who take the equivalent of more than 30 mg hydrocortisone 75 mg of prednisolone, especially when this is in excess of three months The use of thiazide diuretics, and gonadal hormone replacement has also been recommended, with the use of calcitonin, bisphosphonates, sodium fluoride or anabolic steroids also suggested in refractory cases Alternate day use may not prevent this complication
Mechanisms of SIOP include:
- Direct inhibition of osteoblast function
- Direct enhancement of bone resorption
- Inhibition of gastrointestinal calcium absorption
- Increased urine calcium loss
- Inhibition of sex steroids
- ^ Allen, CS; Yeung, JH; Vandermeer, B; Homik, J 5 October 2016 "Bisphosphonates for steroid-induced osteoporosis" The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 10:CD001347 doi:101002/14651858CD001347pub2 PMID 27706804
- ^ Bone and Tooth Society of Great Britain, National Osteoporosis Society, Royal College of Physicians 2003 Glucocorticoid-induced Osteoporosis PDF London, UK:Royal College of Physicians of London ISBN 1-86016-173-1 CS1 maint:Multiple names:authors list link
- ^ Cochrane Reviews "Calcium and vitamin D for treating osteoporosis caused by the use of steroids"
- ^ Lukert, Barbara P 1 March 1990 "Glucocorticoid-Induced Osteoporosis:Pathogenesis and Management" Annals of Internal Medicine 112 5:352 doi:107326/0003-4819-112-5-352
- ^ Gourlay M, Franceschini N, Sheyn Y 2007 "Prevention and treatment strategies for glucocorticoid-induced osteoporotic fractures" Clin Rheumatol 26 2:144–53 doi:101007/s10067-006-0315-1 PMID 16670825
- ^ Steroid-induced osteoporosis By Susan Ott, MD Updated January 28, 2009 Retrieved on 26 March 2009
steroid induced osteoporosis, steroid induced osteoporosis guidelines, steroid induced osteoporosis icd 10, steroid induced osteoporosis in children, steroid induced osteoporosis mechanism of action, steroid induced osteoporosis prevention, steroid induced osteoporosis treatment
Steroid-induced osteoporosis Information about
Steroid-induced osteoporosis viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge.The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.