Stacy Schiffstacy schiff, stacy schiff the witches of salem
Stacy Madeleine Schiff born October 26, 1961 is a Pulitzer Prize-winning American nonfiction author and guest columnist for The New York Times
- 1 Biography
- 2 Awards and honors
- 3 Works
- 31 Books
- 32 Selected essays and articles
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Schiff, born in Adams, Massachusetts, is a graduate of Phillips Academy Andover preparatory school, and earned her BA degree from Williams College in 1982 She was a senior editor at Simon & Schuster until 1990 Her essays and articles have appeared in The New Yorker, The New York Times and The Times Literary Supplement She is a contributor to The New York Times Book Review
Schiff won the 2000 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography for Vera, a biography of Vera Nabokov, wife and muse of Vladimir Nabokov She was also a finalist for the 1995 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography for Saint-Exupéry: A Biography of Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Schiff’s A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America 2005 won the George Washington Book Prize Her fourth book, Cleopatra: A Life, was published to great acclaim in 2010 As the Wall Street Journal's reviewer put it, "Schiff does a rare thing: She gives us a book we'd miss if it didn't exist" The New Yorker termed the book "a work of literature;" Simon Winchester predicted "it will become a classic" Ron Chernow may explain why: "Even if forced to at gunpoint, Stacy Schiff would be incapable of writing a dull page or a lame sentence" Cleopatra appeared on most year-end best books lists, including the New York Times's Top Ten Books of 2010, and won the PEN/Jacqueline Bograd Weld Award for biography A #1 bestseller, it was translated into 30 languages
Little, Brown published The Witches: Salem, 1692 in 2015 The New York Times hailed it as "an almost novelistic, thriller-like narrative" David McCullough declared the book—also a #1 bestseller--"brilliant from start to finish"
A guest columnist at The New York Times, Schiff resides in New York City She is a trustee of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
Awards and honors
- National Endowment for the Humanities, fellowship
- Cullman Center for Scholars & Writers, New York Public Library, Director's Fellow,
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, fellowship
- 1995 Pulitzer Prize finalist, Saint-Exupéry: A Biography
- 2000 Pulitzer Prize, Vera
- 2006 Academy Award in Literature, American Academy of Arts and Letters
- 2006 Gilbert Chinard Prize, A Great Improvisation
- 2006 George Washington Book Prize, A Great Improvisation
- 2006 Ambassador Book Award American Studies, A Great Improvisation
- 2010 EMMA Award for journalistic excellence, "Who's Buried in Cleopatra's Tomb"
- 2011 Library Lion by the New York Public Library
- 2011 PEN/Jacqueline Bograd Weld Award for Biography, Cleopatra
- 2012 Phillips Academy Alumni Award of Distinction
- 2012 The French-American Foundation Vergennes Achievement Award
- 2013 Honorary Doctor of Letters from Williams College
- 2014 BIO Award, Biographers International Organization
- 2015 Newberry Library Award
- 2016 Associates of the Boston Public Library Literary Light Award
- Schiff, Stacy 1994 Saint-Exupéry: A Biography New York: AA Knopf ISBN 0-679-40310-8
- Schiff, Stacy 1999 Vera Mrs Vladimir Nabokov Pan Books Ltd ISBN 0-330-37674-8
- Schiff, Stacy 2005 A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America New York: Henry Holt ISBN 0-8050-6633-0 Published in the UK as Dr Franklin Goes to France
- Schiff, Stacy 2010 Cleopatra: A Life Little, Brown and Company ISBN 0-316-00192-9
- Schiff, Stacy 2015, The Witches: Salem, 1692 2015 New York: Little, Brown ISBN 9780316200615
Selected essays and articles
- "The Witches of Salem" New Yorker August 31, 2015
- "Desperately Seeking Susan" New York Times October 13, 2006
- Schiff, Stacy 2007-10-14 "Founding Chauvinist Pig" New York Times Retrieved 2007-10-24
- "Cleopatra's Guide to Good Governance" New York Times, December 4, 2010
- "Eternal Flame – 'Country Girl: A Memoir,' by Edna O'Brien" New York Times May 10, 2013
- "The Interactive Truth" New York Times June 15, 2005
- "Camp Stories review of Nathan Englander's What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank" New York Times Sunday Book Review February 16, 2012
- Essjay controversy
- ^ a b "Barnes&Noble Meet the Writers: Stacy Schiff" Archived from the original on February 2, 2007
- ^ "News about Stacy Schiff, including commentary and archival articles published in The New York Times" The New York Times
- ^ Suellen Stringer-Hye 1999 "An interview with Stacy Schiff" The Pennsylvania State University
- ^ Thomspon, Bob May 24, 2006 "Schiff Wins Washington Book Prize For Work On Franklin" The Washington Post
- ^ Kate Taylor 2010-12-10 "Stacy Schiff's Cleopatra: skilled political operator, not sex goddess" The Globe and Mail Retrieved 2013-03-05
- ^ a b "ALOUD: Lectures, Readings, Performances, & Discussions Los Angeles Central Library"
- ^ "1995 Finalists" The Pulitzer Prizes – Columbia University
- ^ "2000 Winners" The Pulitzer Prizes – Columbia University
- Official Website
- "An Interview with Stacy Schiff" by Suellen Stringer-Hye, published in April 1999 by Random House
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Q&A interview with Schiff, November 6, 2011
- Interview with Schiff on "New Books in Biography"
stacy schiff, stacy schiff and family, stacy schiff biography, stacy schiff cleopatra, stacy schiff on benjamin franklin, stacy schiff photos, stacy schiff pulitzer, stacy schiff quotes, stacy schiff the witches of salem, stacy schiff vera
Stacy Schiff Information about
Stacy Schiff viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.