St. Nicholas Naval Cathedralst. nicholas naval cathedral, st. nicholas naval cathedral in kronstadt flooring
St Nicholas Naval Cathedral Никольский морской собор, Nikolskiy morskoy sobor is a major Baroque Orthodox cathedral in the western part of Central Saint Petersburg It has always been closely associated with the Russian Navy, serving as its main shrine until the Russian Revolution
In the upper church there are numerous memorial plaques for the crews of the sunken Soviet submarines, including K-278 Komsomolets The crew of the submarine K-141 Kursk has also been commemorated there
The marine regimental church was built on the bank of the Kryukov Canal in 1753–1762 to a design by Savva Chevakinsky, the main architect of the Russian Navy, in place of an earlier wooden church A freestanding four story bell tower with a tall gilded spire was erected in 1755–1758 The main church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas a patron saint of seamen and the feast of the Epiphany
St Nicholas Naval Cathedral consists of two separate churches The lower Saint Nicholas Church is located on the first floor, while the upper Epiphany Church is on the second floor The altar of the upper church was consecrated in the presence of Catherine the Great The main shrine of the cathedral—a Greek icon of St Nicholas made in the 17th century with a portion of his relics—is located in the lower church
In 1908 the Tsushima obelisk was erected in the garden in front of the church in memory of those killed at Battle of Tsushima In 2000 another chapel was consecrated in the lower tier of the bell tower
St Nicholas Cathedral is a major example of the so-called Elizabethan or Rastrellieqsque Baroque It has the shape of a cross and is decorated by Corinthian columns, stucco architraves, a wide entablement and is crowned by five gilded domes The church can accommodate up to 5,000 people
- A postcard from the 1890s
- A painting of the cathedral's interior, 1843
- The facade in 2013
- The lower church in 2017
- List of largest Orthodox cathedrals
- Isakova EV; Soyko BI; Shkarovsky MV 1998 Epiphany Naval Cathedral Historical essay in Russian Saint Petersburg: Almaz ltd
- Isakova EV; Shkarovsky MV 2003 Nikolsky Naval Cathedral and other marine churches of Saint Petersburg churches of Saint Petersburg in Russian Saint Petersburg: Paritet ISBN 5-93437-163-0
- Gusarov AYu 2010 Monuments of military glory of Saint Petersburg in Russian Saint Petersburg: Paritet ISBN 978-5-93437-363-5
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Nicholas Cathedral Saint Petersburg|
- St Nicholas Naval Cathedral Saint Petersburg
- wwwnikolskiysoborru—official site in Russian
- wwwencspbru Собор свт НИКОЛАЯ ЧУДОТВОРЦА Морской Николо-Богоявленский in Saint Petersburg encyclopedia in Russian
- wwwenlightru—St Nicholas Naval Cathedral in Russian
- wwwvirtualspbcom—panorama at Virtual Saint Petersburg in Russian
Coordinates: 59°55′20″N 30°18′01″E / 5992222°N 3030028°E / 5992222; 3030028
st. nicholas naval cathedral, st. nicholas naval cathedral in kronstadt, st. nicholas naval cathedral in kronstadt flooring, st. nicholas naval cathedral st. petersburg
St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral Information about
St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral
St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral
St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.