Smolensk Voivodeship


Coat of arms

Smolensk Voivodeship in red Voivodeship's borders did not change since the Union of Lublin Capital Smolensk History    Established 1508    Third partition of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth 1654 Political subdivisions counties: two Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1654 - the Smolensk Voivodeship marked in red

Smolensk Voivodeship Latin: Palatinatus smolencensis, Belarusian: Смале́нскае ваяво́дзтва, Polish: Województwo smoleńskie, Lithuanian: Smolensko vaivadija was a unit of administrative division and local government in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and later the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth

The territory of Smolensk was part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania since 1404, but the voivodeship was established only in 1508 Just six years later, in 1514, it was lost to the Grand Duchy of Moscow during the Muscovite–Lithuanian Wars The voivodeship was recaptured by the Commonwealth in 1611 during the Polish–Muscovite War 1605–18 and lost again in 1654 during the Russo-Polish War 1654–67 Even when the territory was under Russian control, Poland and Lithuania claimed it as a titular voivodeship The capital of the voivodeship, and the seat of its governor voivode, was in Smolensk It was subdivided into two powiats: Smolensk and Starodub

Zygmunt Gloger in his monumental book Historical Geography of the Lands of Old Poland provides this description of the Smolensk Voivodeship:

“In the 9th century, Smolensk was main center of the Krivichs In the 11th century, it became the capital of a separate duchy, the Principality of Smolensk, which in the 14th century was conquered by the Grand Duchy of Lithuania In 1404, it became a permanent part of Lithuania, and later on, the Principality was turned into a Voivodeship In 1514, Smolensk was captured by Muscovy, which was confirmed by a 1522 treaty For the next 89 years Smolensk belonged to Muscovy It was recovered by King Sigismund III of Poland in 1611, but Smolensk Voivodeship as part of the Commonwealth existed only for 56 years In 1654 it was recaptured by the Russians, which was confirmed by the Truce of Andrusovo in 1667

Smolensk Voivodeship had three senators: the Bishop, the Voivode, and the Castellan of Smolensk It was divided into two counties: those of Smolensk and Starodub After its annexation by the Russian Empire, it continued to exist as a so-called fictitious voivodeship, with sejmiks taking place at a Bernardine Church in Wilno Furthermore, the fictitious title of Bishop of Smolensk remained in use Last Bishops before the partitions of Poland were Adam Naruszewicz, and Tymoteusz Gorzeński"

See also

  • Prince of Smolensk

References

  1. ^ Simas Sužiedėlis, ed 1970–1978 "Administration" Encyclopedia Lituanica I Boston, Massachusetts: Juozas Kapočius pp 17–21 LCC 74-114275 
  2. ^ a b Kotilaine, Jarmo 2005 Russia's Foreign Trade and Economic Expansion in the Seventeenth Century: Windows on the World Northern world BRILL p 45 ISBN 978-90-04-13896-4 
  • Smolensk Voivodeship, description by Zygmunt Gloger

Coordinates: 54°46′58″N 32°02′43″E / 54782778°N 32045278°E / 54782778; 32045278



Smolensk Voivodeship Information about


Smolensk Voivodeship
Smolensk Voivodeship
Smolensk Voivodeship viewing the topic.
Smolensk Voivodeship what, Smolensk Voivodeship who, Smolensk Voivodeship explanation

There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video



Random Posts

Social Accounts

Facebook Twitter VK
Copyright © 2014. Search Engine