Shotover is a hill and forest in Oxfordshire, England
Shotover Hill is 3 miles 48 km east of Oxford Its highest point is 557 feet 170 m above sea level
- 1 Early history
- 11 Shotover giant
- 2 Shotover Road
- 3 Shotover Park
- 4 References in popular culture
- 5 References
- 6 Sources and further reading
- 7 External links
The toponym may be derived from the Old English scoet ofer, meaning "steep slope" Shotover was part of the Wychwood royal forest1 from around the period of the Domesday Book until 1660
A hill figure is recorded as having once been carved on the hill Antiquarian John Aubrey writes:"On Shotover Hill near Oxford was heretofore not long before the Civil Wars, in the memory of man the effigies of a Giant cut in the earth, as the White Horse by Ashbury Park"2
The road between London and Oxford used to pass over the top of Shotover Hill The road was made into a turnpike under the 1719 Stokenchurch Turnpike Act
Shotover ParkeditMain article: Shotover Park
Shotover Park and garden were begun in about 1714 for James Tyrrell of Oakley Tyrell died in 1718 and the house was completed by his son, General James Tyrell There is no known record of the name of the architect In 1855 the architect Joshua Sims added two wings in the same style of the original part of the house1
The garden was begun in 1718 and completed in 1730 It is a rare survivor of formal gardens of this period, laid out along an east–west axis 1,200 yards 1,100 m long The centrepiece of the garden east of the house is a straight canal, ending with a Gothic Revival folly The architect of the folly is unknown, but if it was built before 1742 it may be one of the earliest examples of the Gothic Revival The garden west of the house has a similarly long vista, ending with an octagonal temple designed in the 1730s by William Kent1
During the Second World War there was a prisoner-of-war camp in the groundscitation needed
Lieutenant-Colonel Sir John Miller, Crown Equerry 1961–87, lived in Shotover Park for most of his life He died on May 17, 2006, aged 87 It is now owned by Sir Beville Douglas Stanier, 3rd Baronet3456
References in popular cultureedit
"Shotover Hill" is also a track on the album Supergrass
- ^ a b c Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, pp 763–765
- ^ Crawford, O G S September 1929 "The Giant of Cerne and other Hill-figures" Antiquity 3 11: 277–282 Refers to John Aubrey's Monumenta Britannica, unpublished manuscript in the Bodleian, part 2, folio 242b
- ^ "Tory grandee calls police after gay doggers target estate" The Telegraph 26 November 2010 Retrieved 2 March 2014
- ^ "Tory grandee calls in police over gay cruisers on his land'" Pink News 26 November 2010 Retrieved 2 March 2014
- ^ "Queen's friend calls in police after his estate is overrun with people having outdoor sex" The Daily Mail 27 November 2010 Retrieved 2 March 2014
- ^ Allen, Emily 25 November 2010 "Lay-by 'still being used as a sex blackspot'" The Oxford Times Retrieved 2 March 2014
Sources and further readingedit
- Lobel, Mary D, ed 1957 A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 5: Bullingdon Hundred Victoria County History pp 275–281
- Roberts, Edward 1963 "The Boundary and Woodlands of Shotover Forest circa 1298" Oxoniensia Oxford Architectural and Historical Society XXVIII: 68–73
- Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus 1974 Oxfordshire The Buildings of England Harmondsworth: Penguin Books pp 763–765 ISBN 0-14-071045-0
- Shotover Hill and Country Park
- Shotover Geology - Shotover Wildlife 2001
Coordinates: 51°44′58″N 1°10′54″W / 5174944°N 118167°W / 5174944; -118167
shotover camera systems, shotover canyon swing, shotover drone, shotover f1, shotover g1, shotover jet boat, shotover jet video, shotover river, shotoverjet.com, www.shotoverjet.com
Shotover Information about
Shotover viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.