Serge Poliakoff January 8, 1906 – October 12, 1969 was a Russian-born French modernist painter belonging to the 'New' Ecole de Paris Tachisme
- 1 Biography
- 2 Exhibitions
- 3 Works
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 Sources
- 7 External links
Serge Poliakoff was born in Moscow in 1906, the thirteenth of fourteen children Some sources claim that he was born in 1900, which in fact fits in better with his later history - 1906 would have him leaving home and earning his living as a musician at the age of 12 His father, a Kyrgyz, supplied the army with horses that he bred himself and also owned a racing stable His mother was heavily involved with the church, and its religious icons fascinated him He enrolled at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, but fled Russia in 1918 He arrived in Constantinople in 1920, living off the profits from his talent as a guitarist
He went on to pass through Sofia, Belgrade, Vienna, and Berlin before settling in Paris in 1923, all the while continuing to play in Russian cabarets In 1929 he enrolled at the Académie de la Grande Chaumière His paintings remained purely academic until he discovered, during his stay in London from 1935 to 1937, the abstract art and luminous colours of the Egyptian sarcophagi It was a little afterwards that he met Wassily Kandinsky, Sonia and Robert Delaunay, and Otto Freundlich
With these influences, Poliakoff quickly came to be considered as one of the most powerful painters of his generation In 1947, he was trained by Jean Deyrolle in Gordes in the Vaucluse region of France amongst peers such as Gérard Schneider, Giloli, Victor Vasarely, and Jean Dewasne By the beginning of the 1950s, he was still staying at the Old Dovecote hotel near Saint-Germain-des-Prés, which was also home to Louis Nallard and Maria Manton, and continuing to earn a reliable income by playing the balalaika A contract enabled him to quickly gain better financial stability
In 1962 a room was given over to his paintings by the Venice Biennial, and Poliakoff became a French citizen in the same year His works are now displayed in a large number of museums in Europe and New York Poliakoff also worked with ceramics at the Manufacture nationale de Sèvres He influenced the paintings of Arman
In 2006, works by Poliakoff were chosen by the Musée du Luxembourg for their exhibition entitled 'L'Envolée lyriquelit:'lyric Flight', Paris 1945-1956', namely 'Composition en brun', 1947, Ny Carlsberg Glypothek, Copenhagen; 'Composition rouge avec trait', 1952, Cologne Museum; 'Composition IV', 1954
In 2013, The Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris is devoting a large-scale retrospective to the abstract painter which includes 150 works from the period 1946-1969 Since 1970 there has been no significant exhibition of the work of Serge Poliakoff in what became his home city
- Serge Poliakoff, Galleria Lorenzelli, Bergamo 1970
- Serge Poliakoff, Lorenzelli Arte, Milan 1983
- Serge Poliakoff, Le rêve des formes, Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris 2013
- Serge Poliakoff, Galerie Applicat-Prazan, Paris 2013
- Available Paintings, Works on Paper and Biography Galerie Ludorff, Düsseldorf, Germany
- Ecole de Paris
- ^ a b c d e "Serge Poliakoff" Encyclopædia Britannica Retrieved 15 June 2010
- ^ a b "Serge Poliakoff" Ketterer Kunst Retrieved 15 June 2010
- ^ a b "12 October" ifrance Retrieved 15 June 2010
- ^ "Archived copy" Archived from the original on 2013-10-04 Retrieved 2013-09-27
This article draws heavily on the fr:Serge Poliakoff article in the French-language Wikipedia, which was accessed in the version of November 20, 2006
- Jean Cassou, Poliakoff, Bodensee-Verlag, Amriswil Switzerland, 1963
- Lydia Harambourg, Serge Poliakoff, dans L'École de Paris 1945-1965, Dictionnaire des peintres, Neuchâtel, Ides et Calendes, 1993 ISBN 2-8258-0048-1
- Alexis Poliakoff et Gérard Schneider, Poliakoff, Editions Galerie Française, München, 280 p ISBN 3-00-002049-7
- Françoise Brütsch, Serge Poliakoff, Editions Ides et Calendes, Neuchâtel, 1993, 200 p ISBN 2-8258-0044-9
- Artfactsnet containing a portrait of Poliakoff, and nine reproductions of his goauche and lithograph work
- Lorenzelli Arte Milano: Serge Poliakoff Biography
- - Serge Poliakoff, The Dream of Forms - Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris
Serge Poliakoff Information about
Serge Poliakoff viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.