Seattle Aquariumseattle aquarium, seattle aquarium admission
The Seattle Aquarium is a public aquarium opened in 1977 and located on Pier 59 on the Elliott Bay waterfront in Seattle, Washington, USA It is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums AZA
- 1 History
- 2 Exhibits
- 3 Notes
- 4 External links
The aquarium opened on May 20, 1977, and was initially owned and operated by the City of Seattle, Department of Parks and Recreation On July 1, 2010, the nonprofit Seattle Aquarium Society, the official 501c3 nonprofit organization for the Seattle Aquarium, assumed management of the Seattle Aquarium from the city5 Architects for the facility were Bassetti/Norton/Metler/Rekevics6
The aquarium promotes marine conservation and instructs over 800,000 visitors each year, including 50,000 students, to learn about their impacts on marine life It also conducts research on marine life In June 2013, an 18,000-square-foot 1,700 m2 expansion opened that includes a new 2,625-square-foot 2439 m2 gift store and café, as well as two new exhibits: Window on Washington Waters and Crashing Waves
ExhibitseditRockfish in the underwater dome at The Seattle Aquarium View of Seattle Aquarium along Alaskan Way, Seattle The salmon ladder
- Window on Washington Waters is a 120,000-US-gallon 450,000 l tank created as part of the 2007 expansion It is meant to replicate the coastal waters of Washington state from about 5 to 60 feet 15 to 183 m, and feature native marine life including salmon, rockfish, and sea anemones There are dive shows which take place several times a day Divers wearing special masks are able to converse with visitors78
- The Crashing Waves Exhibit is a 40-foot 12 m wave tank that replicates Washington shores from the intertidal zone to a depth of about 5 feet 15 m89
- Life on the Edge was opened in 2002 Two large exhibit pools that include touch zones allow visitors to see the tidepool life of Washington's outer coast and of Seattle's inland sea10
- Life of a Drifter includes a 12-foot 37 m high glass "donut" where visitors can be surrounded by moon jellies, a multi-species display featuring the giant Pacific octopus, and a 13-foot 40 m touch table where visitors can view some of the area's drifters including juvenile rockfish, sea stars, and plankton11
- Pacific Coral Reef is a man-made coral reef in a 25,000-US-gallon 95,000 l tank that contains fish that live in and around reefs
- Ocean Oddities is an exhibit displaying pinecone fish, cowfish, flying gurnards, potbellied seahorses, and short dragonfish
- Birds and Shores consists of three separate areas Northwest Shores is an area which shows birds in a variety of habitats of the coastal Northwest Alcids has diving birds such as tufted puffins and common murres There is also a Shorebird exhibit12
- The Marine Mammals area includes exhibits for harbor seals, Northern fur seals, sea otters, and river otters,9 as well as the Orca Family Activity Center The Orca Family Activity Center is meant to educate visitors about orcas, particularly those belonging to the Southern Resident Community residing in Puget Sound13
- Puget Sound Fish is a three-part exhibit that contains fish from the Puget Sound Fish included in the tank are grunt sculpins, Pacific spiny lumpsuckers, midshipman fish, canary rockfish, wolf eels, and decorated warbonnets14
- The Underwater Dome is an exhibit viewed from a mostly transparent spherical undersea room in a 400,000-US-gallon 1,500,000 l tank It was built as part of the original construction and opened in 1977 The tank exhibits species that would be found in Puget Sound including salmon, Lingcod, sharks, sturgeon, skates, and rockfish2
- ^ a b "Underwater Dome" seattleaquariumorg Seattle Aquarium Retrieved 27 February 2011
- ^ "Quick Facts" seattleaquariumorg Seattle Aquarium Retrieved 27 February 2011
- ^ "List of Accredited Zoos and Aquariums" azaorg AZA Retrieved 27 February 2011
- ^ "Seattle Aquarium Society" seattleaquariumorg Seattle Aquarium Retrieved 28 November 2010
- ^ "Bassetti Architects: Seattle Aquarium" bassettiarchcom Bassetti Architects Retrieved 18 March 2011
- ^ "Window on Washington Waters" seattleaquariumorg Seattle Aquarium Retrieved 27 February 2011
- ^ a b "Almost There: Work Continues on the Expanded Aquarium" PDF Currents Seattle, Washington: Seattle Aquarium Society Spring 2007: 3 Retrieved 27 February 2011
- ^ a b "Welcome to Seattle Aquarium" seattleaquariumorg Seattle Aquarium Retrieved 27 February 2011
- ^ "Life on the Edge" seattleaquariumorg Seattle Aquarium Retrieved 27 February 2011
- ^ "Life of a drifter" seattleaquariumorg Seattle Aquarium Retrieved 27 February 2011
- ^ "Birds and Shores" seattleaquariumorg Seattle Aquarium Retrieved 27 February 2011
- ^ "Orca Family Activity Center" seattleaquariumorg Seattle Aquarium Retrieved 27 February 2011
- ^ "Puget Sound Fish" seattleaquariumorg Seattle Aquarium Retrieved 27 February 2011
- Media related to Seattle Aquarium at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
|City parks and
seattle aquarium, seattle aquarium address, seattle aquarium admission, seattle aquarium cafe, seattle aquarium coupons, seattle aquarium discounts, seattle aquarium gift shop, seattle aquarium hours, seattle aquarium membership, seattle aquarium reviews
Seattle Aquarium Information about
Seattle Aquarium viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.