Sławków is a town in Zagłębie Dąbrowskie part of historic province of Lesser Poland, near Katowice It borders the Upper Silesian Metropolitan Union - a metropolis with a population of around 2 million Sławków is situated in the Silesian Voivodeship, previously it was in Katowice Voivodeship The population of the town is 6,866 2008 From 1999 to 2001, Sławków was part of Lesser Poland Voivodeship When it was transferred to Silesian Voivodeship in 2002, it was assigned to Będzin County powiat, despite being separated from the rest of that county by the cities of Dąbrowa Górnicza and Sosnowiec It is the western terminus of the Broad Gauge Metallurgy Line
- 1 Location
- 2 History
- 3 Points of interest
- 4 Demographics
- 5 Broad gauge railway
- 6 External links
- 7 References
Sławków is located in western Lesser Poland, 29 kilometres 18 miles from Katowice, and 56 km 35 mi from Kraków, in Kraków-Silesia Upland part of Lesser Poland Upland, on the Biała Przemsza river The town borders Dąbrowa Górnicza, Sosnowiec, Jaworzno and Bukowno Apart from its historic center, Sławków has 25 smaller districts, and as much as 35% of the town is covered by forests The name of the town comes from ancient Slavic given name Sławomir Sławko, Sławek, and can be translated as The settlement of Sławko
Archaeological sites from the Paleolithic and Neolithic ages have been discovered giving evidence to early human settlement in the area The first written record of the town's name comes from 1220 However, the exact date of its incorporation remains unknown Indirect written sources indicate that it most probably took place between 1279 and 1286 This assumption is supported by two documents from the 13th century: a charter issued in 1279 by Prince Bolesław V the Chaste, in which the locality is still called a village villa episcopalis and an agreement dated 1286 between the Bishop of Kraków Paweł z Przemankowa and Prince Leszek II the Black, in which Sławków is already called a town civitas In the 1280s, Bishop Paweł z Przemankowa built here a defensive castle, located near western border of Lesser Poland
Due to rich deposits of lead and silver, and location on a merchant route from Kraków to Wrocław, Sławków quickly developed, and in the 13th century it was one of the most important urban centers of Lesser Poland In the 14th century its importance diminished, and later on, the town was destroyed several times in numerous wars 1433, 1434, 1455, as well as in a fire 1498 Furthermore, the deposits of silver and lead dried out Until the Partitions of Poland, Sławków remained administrative center of properties of the Bishop of Kraków
In 1795 Sławków briefly belonged to New Silesia, and in 1806 was annexed by the Duchy of Warsaw since 1815 - Russian-controlled Congress Kingdom In the mid-19th century first industrial enterprises were established here, and the town was connected with other locations in the area by a paved road In 1870 Sławków lost its town privileges, to recover them in 1958 In 1885 it got a rail connection with Kielce and Dąbrowa Górnicza, in 1887 with Sosnowiec In the Second Polish Republic Sławków belonged to Olkusz County, part of Kielce Voivodeship After the war, until 1975, it belonged to Kraków Voivodeship, then was transferred to Katowice Voivodeship Between 1977 and 1984, Sławków was a district of Dąbrowa Górnicza At that time the town grew in size, due to the construction of Katowice Steelworks
Points of interest
- Medieval center of the town, with a market square, and a town hall from 1905
- 18th-century inn austeria,
- St Nicholas Church,
- complex of church parish 18th century,
- hospital for miners 1758,
- ruins of the castle of Bishops of Kraków 13th century, destroyed in 1455 and never rebuilt,
- Lamus - manor house of Bishops of Kraków 18th century
- St Jacob Church 1827
- St Rozalia wayside shrine 1536
Sławków church 13th century
old inn from 1781
ruins of the Sławków castle 13th century
market square ca 1919
market square southern frontage
one of the streets
Broad gauge railway
Linia Hutnicza Szerokotorowa known by its acronym LHS, English: Broad gauge metallurgy line in Sławków is the longest broad gauge railway line in Poland Except for this one line, and a few very short stretches near border crossings, Poland uses the standard gauge for its railways, unlike Russia and the other former countries of the Soviet Union The line runs on a single track for almost 400 km 249 mi from the Polish-Ukrainian border, crossing it just east of Hrubieszów, to Sławków It is used only for freight transport, mainly iron ore and coal It is the westernmost broad gauge railway line in Europe that is connected to the broad gauge rail system of the countries which before 1991 constituted the Soviet Union The line is managed by PKP Linia Hutnicza Szerokotorowa Spólka z oo company Previous name of this line was Linia Hutniczo-Siarkowa English: Metallurgy - Sulfur Line, but after sulfur ceased to be transported on the line its name was changed
- Jewish Community in Sławków on Virtual Shtetl
- Official Website Official city website
- ^ Powierzchnia i ludność w przekroju terytorialnym w 2008 - Central Statistical Office in Poland ISSN 1505-5507 , 13082008
Coordinates: 50°19′N 19°23′E / 50317°N 19383°E / 50317; 19383
Sławków Information about
Sławków viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.