Road to ...road to hana, road to fame mod sims 4
Road to refers to a series of seven comedy films starring Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, and Dorothy Lamour They are also often referred to as the "Road" pictures or the "Road" series The movies were a combination of adventure, comedy, romance, and music The minimal plot often took a back seat to gags, many of them supposedly ad-libbed by Crosby and Hope during filming
- 1 Films in the series
- 2 Ownership
- 3 Running gags
- 4 Homages and other influence
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Films in the seriesedit
- Road to Singapore 1940
- Road to Zanzibar 1941
- Road to Morocco 1942
- Road to Utopia 1946
- Road to Rio 1947
- Road to Bali 1952
- The Road to Hong Kong 1962
Each film is not simply a comedy, but a satire of some of the popular film genres of the day, including jungle, Arabian nights, Alaskan adventure, and high seas The final film not only comes much later, but involves a newer genre; Hong Kong spoofs the spy films of the sixties
In 1977, an eighth Road to movie was planned, titled Road to the Fountain of Youth; however, Crosby died that year of a heart attack1
In 1947, Astor Pictures released a compilation film of several of Crosby's Educational Pictures short subjects called The Road to Hollywood to evoke the series
In Sweden, the first film was given the title Två glada sjömän går iland Two Jolly Sailors Go Ashore, which led to the subsequent films in the series all being given a title beginning with Två glada sjömän , except for the last film, which was instead called Vägen till Hong Kong a direct translation of the English title
In the 1980s, Eric Idle wanted to make a "Road" picture called The Road to Mars, but was so put off by the executive meddling done at Hollywood studios, that he decided to do it as a novel instead
The films have a complex ownership history
- Singapore through Utopia were originally released by Paramount but these films, which were part of Paramount's pre-1950 "classic" library, ended up with EMKA, Ltd, today part of NBC Universal Television Distribution, with sister company Universal Studios handling theatrical and video distribution
- Rio and Bali were made jointly by Hope and Crosby and released through Paramount Distribution for Rio today rests with Sony Pictures Television and FremantleMedia Bali's copyright was erroneously renewed one year too late and thus lapsed into the public domain in 1981
- The final "Road" film, The Road to Hong Kong, was released through United Artists, which still owns it via its sister company Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer SPT co-distributed the film on television for a short time after a Sony-led partnership bought MGM
|This article possibly contains original research Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding inline citations Statements consisting only of original research should be removed November 2010 Learn how and when to remove this template message|
Rumor has it that, during the filming of Singapore, Dorothy Lamour said to the camera, "Hey fellas, I haven't had a line for ages!" From that time on, the scene was set for what was one of the most enduring franchises in the history of motion pictures
Beginning with Road to Singapore the films also included in-joke references to other Hollywood actors and jabs at Paramount Pictures, the studio that released all the films except for The Road to Hong Kong There are also frequent instances in which Bob Hope breaks the fourth wall to address the audience directly, such as in Road to Bali, in which he says, "Crosby's gonna sing, folks Now's the time to go out and get the popcorn"
Hope and Crosby would usually play some form of confidence men trying to make a lot of money, with Bing coming up with the ideas and Bob usually doing most of the dirty workcitation needed
When confronted by the villain, Hope and Crosby would use a "patty cake" routine before throwing punches, though this would sometimes not work, as in Road to Morocco: "That gag sure gets around, huh" "Yeah, right back to US!" The only film in the series in which the routine was not used was in Road to Utopia
Both characters would usually promise to not allow women to interfere with their plans, and both would immediately see a woman and forget that promise Crosby would almost always get the girl, with the exceptions being in Road to Utopia and Road to Rio although hypnosis was involved in the latter case
Hope's character usually would have a nickname with which he would be referred to throughout the film, as in Road to Morocco, when he was called "Turkey", and Road to Zanzibar, in which he was called "Fearless"
Hope would also break the fourth wall continuously to over-act, often with an upbraiding from Crosby Hope would then blame his overacting on his attempt to win an Oscar In reality, Hope never won any Oscar for his work, although he did receive honorary Oscars Later, when Hope was a regular Oscar host, he incorporated his "Oscar bait" whines into his monologues there
Homages and other influenceedit
- The April 20, 1966 episode of The Danny Thomas Show, titled "The Road to Lebanon," featured Bing Crosby scouting locations in Beirut for a new Road picture without Bob Hope2
- In the 1981 Mel Brooks film History of the World, Part I, on escaping from the Romans, Brooks and co-star Gregory Hines parody the series' "We're off on the road to" signature song by singing "We're off on the road to Judea, we certainly do get around"
- The 1985 film Spies Like Us, starring Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase, is an homage to the films; Hope makes a cameo as himself in one scene
- The 1987 film Ishtar was envisioned by writer/director Elaine May as an homage to the "Road" series3
- The 1990 They Might Be Giants song "Road Movie to Berlin" references the films in its title
- The TaleSpin episode "Road to Macadamia" pays tribute to the series, including spoofs on the songs
- Three episodes of the 1991-1995 animated series Taz-Mania spoofed the Road to movies, starring Hugh Tasmanian Devil Taz's father, a Crosby parody and his brother Drew Tasmanian Devil parodying Hope The episodes were "Road to Taz-Mania," "Return of the Road to Taz-Mania Strikes Back" and "Yet Another Road to Taz-Mania"
- The Duckman episode "Road to Dendron" spoofs the series
- The 2000 animated film The Road to El Dorado is an homage to the Road movies
- In the 2001–2003 Disney animated series The Legend of Tarzan, the characters Hugo and Hooft are loosely based on Hope and Crosby though not in appearance
- The animated TV series Family Guy has had eight "Road to " episodes that spoof the original Road pictures, starring Brian and Stewie Griffin: "Road to Rhode Island", "Road to Europe", "Road to Rupert", "Road to Germany", "Road to the Multiverse", "Road to the North Pole", "Roads to Vegas", and "Road to India" In addition, the series' 2009 episode "Spies Reminiscent of Us" is an homage to Spies Like Us, which in turn was based on the "Road" films
- ^ "The 'Road' Films of Hope, Crosby and Lamour" h2g2 2004-10-09 Retrieved 2009-10-25
- ^ "BING magazine" BING magazine
- ^ "Elaine May in conversation with Mike Nichols" Film Comment July–August 2006
- Media related to Road to Bali film at Wikimedia Commons
road to avonlea, road to el dorado, road to fame mod sims 4, road to gaming, road to hana, road to hana map, road to perdition, road to recovery, road to success, road to the sun
Road to ... Information about
Road to ...
Road to ...
Road to ... viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.