Richard S. Hamiltonrichard's hamilton, richard's hamilton pittsburgh
Richard Streit Hamilton born 1943 is Davies Professor of Mathematics at Columbia University
- 1 Biography
- 2 Selected publications
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
He received his BA in 1963 from Yale University and PhD in 1966 from Princeton University Robert Gunning supervised his thesis Hamilton has taught at UC Irvine, UC San Diego, Cornell University, and Columbia University
Hamilton's mathematical contributions are primarily in the field of differential geometry and more specifically geometric analysis He is best known for having discovered the Ricci flow and starting a research program that ultimately led to the proof, by Grigori Perelman, of the Thurston geometrization conjecture and the solution of the Poincaré conjecture In August 2006, Perelman was awarded, but declined, the Fields Medal for his proof, in part citing Hamilton's work as being foundational
Hamilton was awarded the Oswald Veblen Prize in Geometry in 1996 and the Clay Research Award in 2003 He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1999 and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2003 He also received the AMS Leroy P Steele Prize for a Seminal Contribution to Research in 2009
On March 18, 2010, it was announced that Perelman had met the criteria to receive the first Clay Millennium Prize for his proof of the Poincaré conjecture On July 1, 2010, Perelman turned down the prize, saying that he believes his contribution in proving the Poincaré conjecture was no greater than that of Hamilton, who first suggested a program for the solution In June 2011, it was announced that the million-dollar Shaw Prize would be split equally between Hamilton and Demetrios Christodoulou
- Hamilton, Richard S 1982, "Three-manifolds with positive Ricci curvature", Journal of Differential Geometry, 17 2: 255–306, ISSN 0022-040X, MR 0664497
- Hamilton, Richard S 1984, "Four-manifolds with positive curvature operator", Journal of Differential Geometry, 24 2: 153–179, MR 0862046
- Hamilton, Richard S 1993, "The Harnack estimate for the Ricci flow", Journal of Differential Geometry, 37 1: 225–243, doi:104310/jdg/1214453430, MR 1198607
- Hamilton, Richard S 1995, "A compactness property for solutions of the Ricci flow", American Journal of Mathematics, 117 3: 545–572, doi:102307/2375080, JSTOR 2375080, MR 1333936
- Hamilton, Richard S 1995, "The formation of singularities in the Ricci flow", Surveys in Differential Geometry, 2: 7–136, MR 1375255
- Hamilton, Richard S 1997, "Four-manifolds with positive isotropic curvature" PDF, Communications in Analysis and Geometry, 5 1: 1–92, doi:104310/CAG1997v5n1a1, MR 1456308
- Hamilton, Richard S 1999, "Non-singular solutions of the Ricci flow on three-manifolds" PDF, Communications in Analysis and Geometry, 7 4: 695–729, doi:104310/CAG1999v7n4a2, MR 1714939
- Earle–Hamilton fixed-point theorem
- Gage–Hamilton–Grayson theorem
- Yamabe flow
- ^ "The Poincaré Conjecture" Archived from the original on 2013-07-27
- ^ $500,000 for mathematician who laid Poincaré groundwork
- Richard Hamilton at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Richard Hamilton – faculty bio at the homepage of the Department of Mathematics of Columbia University
- Richard Hamilton – brief bio at the homepage of the Clay Mathematics Institute
- 1996 Veblen Prize citation
- Lecture by Hamilton on Ricci flow
- Shaw Prize Autobiography
richard s hamilton md, richard's franklin indiana, richard's hamilton, richard's hamilton ohio, richard's hamilton pittsburgh
Richard S. Hamilton Information about
Richard S. Hamilton
Richard S. Hamilton
Richard S. Hamilton viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.