Richard D. Hubbardjohn d. hubbard sheriff deputy shasta county, richard d. hubbard elementary school
Richard Dudley Hubbard September 7, 1818 – February 28, 1884 was a United States Representative and the 48th Governor of Connecticut
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Death and legacy
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Born in Berlin, Connecticut, he was orphaned while young, he pursued preparatory studies at East Hartford and graduated from Yale College in 1839, where he was a member of Skull and Bones1 He studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1842 and commenced practice in Hartford He married Mary Juliana Morgan and they had six children2
Hubbard was a member of the Connecticut House of Representatives in 1842, 1855, and again in 1858, and was prosecuting attorney for Hartford County from 1846 to 1868 A lifelong Democrat, he nevertheless supported the Federal government throughout the Civil War
Hubbard was elected as a Democrat to the Fortieth Congress, holding office from March 4, 1867 to March 3, 18693 He declined to be a candidate for renomination in 1868 and resumed the practice of law in Hartford He was a delegate to Democratic National Convention from Connecticut, 1876 and a member of the Resolutions Committee4
In November 1876 Hubbard was elected Governor of Connecticut, the first to be elected to a two-year term He successfully advocated for legislation that altered the property rights of women, "making husband and wife equal in property rights"5 Also, a bill was constituted that formed the State Board of Health; a commission was formed that managed Connecticut's dams and reservoirs, and regulations were amended that benefited the insurance industry2 He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1878 He engaged in the practice of law from 1877 until his death in Hartford
Death and legacyedit
Hubbard died of Bright's disease on February 28, 1884 He is interred at Cedar Hill Cemetery6
A statue of Hubbard is on the east lawn of the Connecticut State Capitol building in Hartford Connecticut with a plaque that describes him as "Lawyer, Orator, Stateman"57
- ^ Millegan, Kris 2003 "The Skeleton Crew" Fleshing Out Skull and Bones: Investigations into America's Most Powerful Secret Society Walterville, OR: Trine Day pp 597–690 ISBN 0-9720207-2-1 "This list is compiled from material from the Order of Skull and Bones membership books at Sterling Library, Yale University and other public records The latest books available are the 1971 Living members and the 1973 Deceased Members books The last year the members were published in the Yale Banner is 1969"
- ^ a b "Richard D Hubbard" National Governors Association Retrieved 6 December 2012
- ^ "Richard D Hubbard" Govtrack US Congress Retrieved 6 December 2012
- ^ "Richard D Hubbard" Biographical Directory of the United States Congress Retrieved 6 December 2012
- ^ a b Norton, 295
- ^ "Richard D Hubbard" The Political Graveyard Retrieved 6 December 2012
- ^ Connecticut General Assembly: "Richard D Hubbard 1818–1884", accessed September 18, 2010
- United States Congress "Richard D Hubbard id: H000888" Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Dwight Loomis and J Gilbert Calhoun, The Judicial and Civil History of Connecticut Boston: Boston History Company, 1895
- Frederick Calvin Norton, The Governors of Connecticut New Haven, CT: Connecticut Magazine Company, 1905, available online
- Robert Sobel and John Raimo, Biographical Directory of the Governors of the United States, 1789–1978 Greenwood Press, 1988, ISBN 0-313-28093-2
- The Political Graveyard
- Govtrack US Congress
- National Governors Association
- Richard D Hubbard at Find a Grave
|US House of Representatives|
Henry C Deming
|Member of the US House of Representatives
from Connecticut's 1st congressional district
March 4, 1867 – March 3, 1869
Julius L Strong
Charles Roberts Ingersoll
|Governor of Connecticut
Charles B Andrews
john d. hubbard sheriff deputy shasta county, richard d. hubbard, richard d. hubbard elementary school, richard d. hubbard school berlin ct, richard d. hubbard school ct
Richard D. Hubbard Information about
Richard D. Hubbard
Richard D. Hubbard
Richard D. Hubbard viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.