Rhode Island Greeningrhode island greening tree for sale, rhode island greening
The 'Rhode Island Greening' is an old, historic American apple variety and the official fruit of the state of Rhode Island
- 1 History
- 2 Characteristics
- 3 References
- 4 External links
The 'Rhode Island Greening' allegedly originated around 1650 near Green's End in Newport, Rhode Island in modern-day Middletown The first Greenings were allegedly grown by a Mr Green who operated a tavern and developed apple trees from seed Green gave many scions from the tree to visitors for grafting elsewhere, and the original tree died The apples became known as 'Green's Inn' apples from Rhode Island One of the oldest surviving trees was located on Mt Hygeia farm in Foster, Rhode Island, at the turn of the 20th century1 The 'Rhode Island Greening' was one of the most popular apples grown in New York in the 19th century2
It is tender, crisp, juicy, and quite tart, and similar to the 'Granny Smith' The fruit is large, uniformly round in shape, and flattened on the ends, with a dark, waxy, green skin that turns a greenish-yellow when fully ripe It ripens from September to October, keeping well into February or longer3
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rhode Island Greening|
- ^ The Apples of New York By Spencer Ambrose Beach, Nathaniel Ogden Booth, Orin Morehouse Taylor, New York State Dept of Agriculture, New York State Agricultural Experiment Station Published by JB Lyon, 1905 Item notes: v1, pg 2811
- ^ "Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation of Horticultural Plants, Descriptions of the Species of Fruits, Vegetables, Flowers, and Ornamental Plants Sold in the United States and Canada, Together with Geographical and Biographical Sketches" By Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller Edition: 2 Published by The Macmillan Company, 1902, pg 15152
- ^ Essentials of Fruit Culture: Varieties of Apples; Apple Culture; Apple Pests and Injuries; Apple Harvesting, Storing, and Marketing; Pear Culture; Cherries, Apricots, and Quinces By International Correspondence Schools Published by International Textbook Company, 1913, pg 36-37 3 accessed on Google Book Search on February 8, 2009
- Greening link from vintage Virginia Apples
- National Fruit Collection page
|This fruit-related article is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
rhode island greening, rhode island greening apple, rhode island greening apple tree, rhode island greening for sale, rhode island greening picking, rhode island greening pictures, rhode island greening pie, rhode island greening recipes, rhode island greening tree, rhode island greening tree for sale
Rhode Island Greening Information about
Rhode Island Greening
Rhode Island Greening
Rhode Island Greening viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.