Ray Chambersray chambers 5 keys to happiness, ray chambers foundation
Raymond G Chambers born August 7, 1942 is a philanthropist and humanitarian who currently serves as the United Nations Secretary-General's Special Envoy for Health in Agenda 2030 and for Malaria Chambers' philanthropic efforts are diverse, with major focus areas in global health, mentoring, and revitalizing his home city of Newark, New Jersey
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 21 Private Equity
- 22 Involvement in Newark
- 23 Global Health and United Nations
- 24 Other associations
- 25 Awards and recognition
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Early life and educationedit
Born and raised in the West Ward of Newark, Chambers attended West Side High School1
Chambers attended Rutgers University–Newark where he was a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, and earned an MBA from Seton Hall University in 19682
Chambers is the former Chairman of Wesray Capital Corporation, a private equity holding company which he co-founded with William E Simon, the former United States Secretary of the Treasury The "WES" in the firm's name represented Simon's initials and "RAY" was for Chamber's first name3 Their first big coup was the leveraged buyout of Gibson Greetings from RCA in 1981 for $80 million, with each partner contributing $330,000 and the balance paid for with loans; After taking Gibson public in 1984, each partner walked away with a profit exceeding $70 million4
After Simon ended his active involvement in the firm's management, Chambers was responsible for deals including the 1985 purchase of Avis Rent a Car System, which was sold 14 months later to an employee stock ownership plan for $175 billion along with the sale of other Avis assets for $674 million, netting a profit of $740 million on a $10 million capital outlay5
Chambers and Wesray were early investors in buyout firm Vestar Capital Partners, investing in the first Vestar fund in 19886
Involvement in Newarkedit
Chambers has played an active role in revitalizing Newark, working with organizations and schools throughout the city, including in the West Ward where he grew up He is a longtime supporter of the Boys & Girls Club of Newark, which he had belonged to as a child in the 1950s He has funded college educations for hundreds of Newark public school students served by the Club
Chambers was the founding Chairman of the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, helping obtain contributions from local corporations and contributing his own money, with the goal of creating a cultural center for Newark modeled after New York City's Lincoln Center and Washington, DC's John F Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
As a partner in YankeeNets, Chambers played a critical role in bringing the New Jersey Devils to what is now the Prudential Center, with YankeeNets contributing $105 million to construct the publicly owned facility Chambers' name was engraved on the Stanley Cup as President of 2003 New Jersey Devils 2 Chambers was an early supporter of Cory Booker, helping to convince him that he had a future in politics7
Global Health and United Nationsedit
In February 2008, the Secretary-General of the United Nations appointed Mr Chambers as his first Special Envoy for Malaria8 During his tenure, visibility, awareness, and funding for malaria each increased exponentially, contributing to the distribution of over 1 billion life-saving mosquito nets to sub-Saharan Africa and averting over 62 million malaria-related deaths, most of which were children under 5 years of age
In February 2013 the Secretary-General expanded Mr Chambers’ mandate as his first Special Envoy for Financing the Health Millennium Development Goals MDGs – the internationally agreed set of humanitarian targets9 Mr Chambers worked with key funding partners—including governments, financial institutions and the private sector—to secure adequate resources to provide the essential supplies, delivery mechanisms, systems support and measurement tools needed to attain the health MDGs In addition to his Special Envoy role, Mr Chambers served as one of the UN Secretary-General’s MDG Advocates
With the adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals, Mr Chambers was appointed by the Secretary-General as his Special Envoy for Health in Agenda 2030 In this role he is tasked with catalyzing efforts and commitments required for the successful implementation of the health-related goals in Agenda 2030—which includes ending the epidemics of AIDS, TB, and malaria Chambers concurrently maintains his role as Special Envoy for Malaria
Chambers was a member of the President's Council on Service and Civic Participation He is the Founding Chairman of the Points of Light Foundation and co-founded America's Promise Alliance with Colin Powell Chambers is also the co-founder of the MENTOR / National Mentoring Partnership and served as Chairman of the Millennium Promise Alliance With Peter Chernin, he co-founded Malaria No More and served as its co-chairman until being named UN Special Envoy for Malaria
Awards and recognitionedit
In 2002, Chambers received the William E Simon Prize for Philanthropic Leadership10
In December 2008, President Bush recognized Chambers with the Presidential Citizens Medal for his work helping children worldwide through the fight against malaria11
In April 2011, Chambers was named by Time magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world12
2014 New Jersey Hall of Fame inductee
Chambers has been awarded honorary degrees from the University of Notre Dame and American University
- ^ Booker, Cory United: Thoughts on Finding Common Ground and Advancing the Common Good, p 33 Random House Publishing Group, 2016 ISBN 9781101965160 "The other person I met was a man named Ray Chambers Ray was born in Newark in 1942 and later graduated from Newark's West Side High School"
- ^ a b Fallon, Scott "Sports Arena Is Part of Grand Plan for Newark, NJ", The Record Bergen County, June 11, 2001 Accessed August 26, 2016 "Born in 1942 into a blue-collar family, Chambers attended public schools before studying at Rutgers-Newark He received an MBA from Seton Hall in 1968 and went to work for a series of Wall Street firms"
- ^ Worthy, Ford S "WES THREATENS TO PULL OUT OF WESRAY", Fortune magazine, July 21, 1986 Accessed September 10, 2008
- ^ Davis, L J "WILLIAM SIMON'S FACIFIC OVERTURES", The New York Times, December 27, 1987 Accessed November 13, 2016
- ^ "Sans Simon, Wesray cleans up on Avis", Fortune magazine, October 26, 1987 Accessed September 11, 2008
- ^ "Vestar Capital Nears Blockbuster Final Close", Buyouts, November 8, 1999
- ^ "The Color of Politics", The New Yorker, February 4, 2008 Accessed September 11, 2008
- ^ "WHO welcomes UN Secretary-General's new envoy for malaria"
- ^ "Secretary-General Appoints Ray Chambers of United States as Special Envoy for Malaria, Financing of Health-Related Millennium Development Goals"
- ^ Excellence in Philanthropy: Updates On Past Winners 2001-2013, Raymond Chambers
- ^ "The President Participates in a Ceremony for 2008 Recipients of the Presidential Citizens Medal", The White House: President George W Bush, December 10, 2008 Accessed August 26, 2016 "Ray Chambers has reached out to help at-risk youth and worked to turn the tide against malaria in Africa By standing with the people of Africa in the fight against this treatable and preventable disease, he has helped lift a burden of unnecessary suffering The United States honors Ray Chambers for his steadfast commitment to mentoring young people and his noble work to eliminate malaria"
- ^ "The 2011 TIME 100", Time magazine Accessed August 26, 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ray Chambers|
ray chambers, ray chambers 5 keys to happiness, ray chambers actor, ray chambers amelior foundation, ray chambers basketball, ray chambers foundation, ray chambers grandaughter natalie, ray chambers net worth, ray chambers newton county, ray chambers united nations
Ray Chambers Information about
Ray Chambers viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.