Fri . 19 Apr 2019

Preston and Olin Institute

preston and olin institute
The Preston and Olin Institute was a Methodist academy for boys in Blacksburg, Virginia which operated 1851-1872 Until it was rechartered in 1869, it was named The Olin and Preston Institute The institute fell into financial trouble in its later years and in 1872, in conjunction with strong lobbying by local residents, the academy was selected to be reorganized as the state's primary land grant institution under the Morrill Land-Grant Colleges Act, and would be renamed Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College Due to the specific stipulations in the Morrill Act regarding racial equality, the new institution had to be either racially integrated or the state had to establish a second institution for people of color Virginia chose the latter, and as such, the newly founded Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College would receive only two-thirds of the land grant funding, and the remaining one-third would go toward the establishment of Virginia Normal and Collegiate Institute, in Petersburg, Virginia, an institution organized for free blacks, and Virginia's first state-supported HBCU

Preston and Olin Building

The Preston and Olin building was originally constructed 1855 as a three-story, 100 x 40-ft red brick edifice; located on a hill facing Main Street in Blacksburg The building contained three recitation rooms, a chapel, and 24 lodging rooms During the Civil War, Major General George C Crook occupied the building as his headquarters when his federal troops passed through Blacksburg following the Battle of Cloyd's Mountain At the time, the building was empty because the school had closed due to the war After the founding of Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College, the Preston and Olin building was used as a dormitory until 1888

After students moved into Barracks No 1, now known as Lane Hall, the Preston and Olin building was remodeled and converted into the Machine Shop, and two additions, the last completed in 1904, were made forming a quadrangle In the early morning hours of, June 14, 1913, the Preston and Olin building, then known as the VPI shop building caught fire and burned to the ground The area where the Preston and Olin building once stood on the Virginia Tech campus is now the site of the Moss Arts Center

References

  1. ^ Wallenstein, Peter; Kennelly, Tamara "Time Line of the History of Virginia Tech" Retrieved 2008-03-22 
  2. ^ Kinnear, Duncan Lyle "A Short History of Virginia Tech" Retrieved 2007-10-14 
  3. ^ http://wwwunirelvtedu/history/physical_plant/Preston_and_Olin_Buildinghtml

preston and olin institute


Preston and Olin Institute Information about

Preston and Olin Institute


  • user icon

    Preston and Olin Institute beatiful post thanks!

    29.10.2014


Preston and Olin Institute
Preston and Olin Institute
Preston and Olin Institute viewing the topic.
Preston and Olin Institute what, Preston and Olin Institute who, Preston and Olin Institute explanation

There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video

Random Posts

Ralph Neville, 2nd Earl of Westmorland

Ralph Neville, 2nd Earl of Westmorland

Ralph Neville, 2nd Earl of Westmorland 4 April 1406 – 3 November 1484 was an English peer Content...
Mamprusi language

Mamprusi language

The Mamprusi language, Mampruli Mampelle, Ŋmampulli, is a Gur language spoken in northern Ghana by t...
Singapore Changi Airport

Singapore Changi Airport

Singapore Changi Airport IATA: SIN, ICAO: WSSS, or simply Changi Airport, is the primary civili...
Christian Siriano

Christian Siriano

Christian Siriano born November 18, 1985 is an American fashion designer and member of the Council o...