Pneumonectomypneumonectomy, pneumonectomy procedure
A pneumonectomy or pneumectomy is a surgical procedure to remove a lung Removal of just one lobe of the lung is specifically referred to as a lobectomy, and that of a segment of the lung as a wedge resection or segmentectomy
- 1 Indications
- 2 Types
- 3 History
- 31 Pioneering dates
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
IndicationseditA chest x-ray of a person who has had their right lung removed
The most common reason for a pneumonectomy is to remove tumourous tissue arising from lung cancer In the days prior to the use of antibiotics in tuberculosis treatment, tuberculosis was sometimes treated surgically by pneumonectomy
The operation will reduce the respiratory capacity of the patient; before conducting a pneumonectomy, the surgeon will evaluate the ability of the patient to function after the lung tissue is removed After the operation, patients are often given an incentive spirometer to help exercise their remaining lung and to improve breathing function
A rib or two is sometimes removed to allow the surgeon better access to the lung
TypeseditDiagram showing the parts removed in a pneumonectomy
There are two types of pneumonectomy:
- Simple pneumonectomy: removal of just the affected lung
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy EPP: removal of the affected lung, plus part of the diaphragm, the parietal pleura lining of the chest and the pericardium lining of the heart on that side1 The linings are replaced by Gore-Tex in this radical and painful surgery that is used primarily for treatment of malignant mesothelioma
- 1895: first pneumonectomy in multiple stages by William Macewen on a patient with tuberculosis and emphysema
- 1912: first anatomical dissection lobectomy by Hugh Morriston Davies2
- 1918: first successful lobectomy, by Harold Brunn3
- 1931: first successful pneumonectomy in two stages by Rudolph Nissen on a patient with crush injury to the thorax
- 1933: first successful single-stage total pneumonectomy by Graham and Singer4
- 1939: first segmentectomy, by Churchill and Belsey5
- Medical ventilator
- List of surgeries by type
- ^ http://wwwcancergov/templates/db_alphaaspxCdrID=367446
- ^ Naef, A 1993 "Hugh Morriston Davies: First Dissection Lobectomy in 1912" Annals of Thoracic Surgery 56 4: 988–989 PMID 8215687 doi:101016/0003-49759390377-t
- ^ Rosenthal, R; Zenilman M 2001 "Principles and Practice of Geriatric Surgery" Springer: 393
- ^ Horn, L; Johnson DH July 2008 "Evarts A Graham and the first pneumonectomy for lung cancer" Journal of Clinical Oncology 26 19: 3268–3275 PMID 18591561 doi:101200/JCO2008168260
- ^ Churchill, E; Belsey R 1939 "Segmental Pneumonectomy in Bronchiectasis: The Lingula Segment of the Left Upper Lobe" Annals of Surgery 109 4: 481–499 PMC 1391296 PMID 17857340 doi:101097/00000658-193904000-00001
- Fuentes PA April 2003 "Pneumonectomy: historical perspective and prospective insight" Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23 4: 439–45 PMID 12694756
|Upper RT||nose Rhinoplasty Septoplasty Alarplasty Rhinectomy Rhinomanometry sinus Sinusotomy larynx Laryngoscopy Laryngectomy Laryngotomy Thyrotomy Laryngotracheal reconstruction|
|Lower RT||trachea Cricothyrotomy Tracheoesophageal puncture Tracheotomy bronchus Bronchoscopy lung Pneumonectomy Lobectomy Wedge resection Lung transplantation Decortication of lung Heart-lung transplant|
|Chest wall, pleura,
mediastinum, and diaphragm
|pleura/pleural cavity Thoracentesis Pleurodesis Thoracoscopy Thoracotomy Chest tube mediastinum Mediastinoscopy Nuss procedure|
|Lung function test||
pneumonectomy, pneumonectomy chest tube, pneumonectomy complications, pneumonectomy icd 10, pneumonectomy meaning, pneumonectomy medical definition, pneumonectomy post op care, pneumonectomy procedure, pneumonectomy surgery, pneumonectomy vs lobectomy
Pneumonectomy Information about
Pneumonectomy viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.