Phanera purpurea is a species of flowering plant in the family Fabaceae, native to South China which includes Hong Kong and Southeast Asia Common names include orchid tree, purple bauhinia, camel's foot, butterfly tree, and Hawaiian orchid tree
- 1 Description
- 2 Cultivation
- 3 Traditional medicine
- 4 Chemistry
- 5 References
- 6 External links
DescriptionPhanera purpurea flower Kaniar in Hyderabad, India
Phanera purpurea is a small to medium-size deciduous tree growing to 17 feet 52 m tall The leaves are 10–20 centimetres 39–79 in long and broad, rounded, and bilobed at the base and apex The flowers are conspicuous, pink, and fragrant, with five petals The fruit is a pod 30 centimetres 12 in long, containing 12 to 16 seeds Leaves are alternatePhanera purpurea leaf Phanera purpurea bark
In the United States of America, the tree grows in Hawaii, coastal California, southern Texas, and southwest Florida Bauhinia blakeana is usually propagated by grafting it onto P purpurea stems
Phanera purpurea is called Mandarai in Tamil and is used in traditional Tamil medicine in India
A wide range of chemical compounds have been isolated from Phanera purpurea including 5,6-dihydroxy-7-methoxyflavone 6-O-β-D-xylopyranoside, bis -5-C-5-biflavonyl and 4'-hydroxy-7-methyl 3-C-α-L-rhamnopyranosyl-5-C-5-4'-hydroxy-7-methyl-3-C-α-D-glucopyranosyl bioflavonoid, bibenzyls, dibenzoxepins, mixture of phytol fatty esters, lutein, β-sitosterol, isoquercitin and astragalin
- ^ Sinou C, Forest F, Lewis GP, Bruneau A 2009 "The genus Bauhinia sl Leguminosae: a phylogeny based on the plastid trnL–trnF region" Botany 87 10: 947–960 doi:101139/B09-065
- ^ Wunderlin RP 2010 "Reorganization of the Cercideae Fabaceae: Caesalpinioideae" PDF Phytoneuron 48: 1–5
- ^ "The Plant List: A Working List of All Plant Species"
- ^ a b c d "Bauhinia purpurea" Germplasm Resources Information Network GRIN Agricultural Research Service ARS, United States Department of Agriculture USDA Retrieved 2 January 2018
- ^ Kumar T; Chandrashekar KS Research 2011 "Bauhinia purpurea Linn: A review of its ethnobotany, phytochemical and pharmacological profile" Journal of Medicinal Plant 5 4: 420–431 doi:103923/rjmp2011420431
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Phanera purpurea|
- Phanera purpurea L, Purple camel's foot
Phanera purpurea Information about
Phanera purpurea viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.