Peschiera del Garda
Peschiera del Garda peˈskjɛːra del ˈɡarda Venetian: Pischera; Latin: Ardelica, Arilica is a town and comune in the province of Verona, in Veneto, Italy When Lombardy-Venetia was under Austrian rule, Peschiera was the northwest anchor of the four fortified towns constituting the Quadrilatero The fortress is on an island in the river Mincio at its outlet from Lake Garda Probably Village of Peschiera del Garda, 1533 or later by Girolamo dai Libri
- 1 History
- 2 Main sights
- 3 Bounding communes
- 4 Transport
- 5 Twin cities
- 6 World heritage site
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Roman Ardelica was a town of Gallia Transpadana that occupied the site of the modern Peschiera del Garda, at the southeast angle of the Lacus Benacus Lago di Garda, just where the Mincius modern Mincio issued from the lake The name is found under the corrupted form Ariolica in the Tabula Peutingeriana, which correctly places it between Brixia and Verona; the true form is preserved by inscriptions, of which one says that it was a trading place, with a corporation of ship-owners, collegium naviculariorum Ardelicensium Orell Inscr 4108 The town is mentioned as Arilica in Pliny the Elder's Naturalis Historia
The fortress at Peschiera played a prominent part in most military campaigns conducted in northern Italy after 1400, especially during the Italian campaigns of the French Revolutionary Wars and the Napoleonic Wars At the Battle of Peschiera fr fought on 6 August 1796, the day after the major French victory at the Battle of Castiglione, a French force commanded by general Masséna drives out the Austrians After the Siege of Peschiera it, during the First Italian War of Independence, it was taken by the Piedmontese from the Austrians, following a gallant defence by general Rath lasting six weeks, on 30 May, 1848
Peschiera del Garda was also known for its military jail, which closed in 2002
The comune is part of the Associazione Città del vino "Association of Wine Cities"
In winter, the nearby Laghetto del Frassino is the most important habitat for tufted ducks in Italy Morbioli & Sighele 2006
Main sightseditWestern corner of the fortress
- The Fortress and the external fortifications They were included in UNESCO's World Heritage Site list as part of "Venetian Works of Defence between 15th and 17th centuries: Stato da Terra – western Stato da Mar" in 20172
- Sanctuary of Madonna del Frassino 1511 It houses works by Paolo Farinati and Zeno da Verona
- Castelnuovo del Garda
- Valeggio sul Mincio
- Ponti sul Mincio
Peschiera del Garda railway station, opened in 1854, forms part of the Milan–Venice railway
- Ulà Tirso, Italy
- Capoterra, Italy
- Villa Carlos Paz, Argentina
World heritage siteedit
It is home to one or more prehistoric pile-dwelling or stilt house settlements that are part of the Prehistoric Pile dwellings around the Alps UNESCO World Heritage Site3
- ^ ISTAT
- ^ Centre, UNESCO World Heritage "Venetian Works of Defence between 15th and 17th centuries: Stato da Terra – western Stato da Mar" whcunescoorg Retrieved 11 July 2017
- ^ UNESCO World Heritage Site - Prehistoric Pile dwellings around the Alps
- Morbioli, Marco; Sighele, Maurizio 2006 "L'avifauna del Laghetto del Frassino Peschiera del Garda, Verona, Veneto" Bollettino del Museo Civico di Storia Naturale di Verona Botanica Zoologia 30: 275–291 PDF fulltext
- Associazione Città del vino association in Italian
|Italy Lombardy Province of Brescia Veneto Province of Verona Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol Province of Verona|
Peschiera del Garda Information about
Peschiera del Garda
Peschiera del Garda
Peschiera del Garda viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.