Pavel Tichý Czech pronunciation: ˈpavɛl ˈcɪxiː; 18 February 1936 Brno, Czechoslovakia – 26 October 1994 Dunedin, New Zealand was a Czech logician, philosopher and mathematician He worked in the field of intensional logic and founded Transparent Intensional Logic, an original theory of the logical analysis of natural languages – the theory is devoted to the problem of saying exactly what it is that we learn, know and can communicate when we come to understand what a sentence means He spent roughly 25 years working on it His main work is a book The Foundations of Frege's Logic, published by Walter de Gruyter in 1988
- 1 Early life and education
- 11 Degrees and academic appointment
- 2 Books
- 3 External links
Early life and educationedit
Tichý was born in Brno in 1936 His father was an insurance clerk His family lived in Zlín until 1948 when they moved to Vsetín At school he was already a brilliant student He also liked playing music of Jaroslav Ježek on the piano After finishing studies in Vsetin he moved to Prague followed by his parents Tichý graduated in 1959 at Charles University in Prague He stayed there tutoring as an assistant from 1961 to 1968 at the department of Logic at Faculty of Philosophy One of his other hobbies was carpentry He was said to be perfectionist in everything he did, whether he was learning a foreign language or making a table
In 1968 he received an invitation from Exeter University in the United Kingdom He was permitted to leave the country even though it was shortly after Soviet troops invaded Czechoslovakia in the Prague Spring He decided not to return In 1970 he emigrated with his family to New Zealand, by ship He started teaching at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand where he became Professor of Philosophy at Otago in 1981 Tichý stayed teaching there until his death He is remembered as ferocious debater who liked to express his views directly regardless of any bad implications it could have This made him a lot of friends but also a lot of enemies
Four years after the Velvet revolution, in 1993, Tichý was offered the position of Head of the Department of Logic at the Faculty of Philosophy and Arts of Charles University in Prague He planned to move to Prague in 1995 but committed suicide before taking up this positioncitation needed
Degrees and academic appointmentedit
- PhDr Charles University, 1959, thesis: Výklad Gödelovy věty o neúplnosti v prosté teorii typů An Exposition of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem in the Simple Theory of Types
- Candidate of Sciences Charles University, 1964, thesis: Vyčíslitelnost ve vztahu k teoriím On Computability wrt Theories
- Docent Charles University, 1969, thesis: Intensions in Terms of Turing Machines and On the Vicious Circle in Definitions: Two Studies in Logical Semantics
- PhD Exeter University, 1971, thesis: Contributions to the Theory of Postulate Systems
- Associate Professor, University of Otago, 1978
- Professor, University of Otago, 1981
- P Tichý 1988: The Foundations of Frege's Logic De Gruyter, Berlin and New York 1988, 333 pp, ISBN 3-11-011668-5
- V Svoboda, B Jespersen, C Cheyne Eds 2004: Pavel Tichý's Collected Papers in Logic and Philosophy Filosofia, Prague and Otago University Press, Dunedin, 901 pp, ISBN 1-877276-98-7
- Tichy's biography and bibliography – Transparent Intensional Logic website, Masaryk University, Brno
- Tichy's biography – Mac Tutor Biographies, University of St Andrews, Scotland
- Tichy's biography – University of Otago
Pavel Tichý Information about
Pavel Tichý Information Video
Pavel Tichý viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.