Otto von Emmichgen. otto von emmich, otto von emmich
Albert Theodor Otto Emmich since 1913 von Emmich August 4, 1848 – December 22, 1915 was a Prussian general
- 1 Biography
- 2 Awards and decorations
- 3 Footnotes
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Emmich was the son of an Oberst Colonel He married Elise Pauline Sophie 1855, daughter of Karl von Graberg Born in Minden, Emmich entered the Prussian Army in 1866 A veteran of the Franco-Prussian War, he was promoted to major-general in 1901 and given command of the 31st Infantry brigade In 1905, he was promoted to lieutenant-general and given command of the 10th Division He attained the rank of general of infantry in 1909, and was placed in command of the X Army Corps at Hanover
During the early days of World War I in Europe in 1914, he was given command of a provisional army, Army of the Meuse, which was explicitly formed for the special task of taking the forts of Liège and securing the invasion roads into Belgium for the regular German armies
The Battle of Liège began shortly after the morning of August 5, 1914 when German bombardment began on the eastern Belgian forts That marks it chronologically as the first battle to take place during World War I, beginning shortly before the Battle of Mulhouse The Imperial German troops were obliged to entrench and bring up heavy siege artillery He laid siege to Liège, which he entered on August 7, 1914, but the last forts did not surrender until August 16, 1914
After the fall of Liège, Emmich reverted to corps command and fought at the Marne and in the trench warfare near Reims In April 1915 Emmich was transferred to the Eastern front where he fought in the Gorlice–Tarnów Offensive
Emmich was ennobled in 1913 He died of arteriosclerosis in Hanover
Awards and decorations
- Grand Cross of the Order of the Red Eagle
- Order of the Crown, 1st class Prussia
- Iron Cross of 1870, 2nd class
- Pour le Mérite 7 August 1914 together with Erich Ludendorff for the taking of Liege; Oak Leaves added to the Pour le Mérite on 14 May 1915
- ^ Keegan 1998, p 84
Referencesmw-parser-output refbeginmw-parser-output refbegin-hanging-indents>ulmw-parser-output refbegin-hanging-indents>ul>li,mw-parser-output refbegin-hanging-indents>dl>ddmw-parser-output refbegin-100
- The Siege of Liége: A Personal Narrative, by Paul Hamelius London, 1914
- Keegan, John 1998 The First World War London: Hutchinson ISBN 978-0-09-180178-6mw-parser-output citecitationmw-parser-output citation qmw-parser-output id-lock-free a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-free amw-parser-output id-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output id-lock-registration a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-registration amw-parser-output id-lock-subscription a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-subscription amw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registrationmw-parser-output cs1-subscription span,mw-parser-output cs1-registration spanmw-parser-output cs1-ws-icon amw-parser-output codecs1-codemw-parser-output cs1-hidden-errormw-parser-output cs1-visible-errormw-parser-output cs1-maintmw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registration,mw-parser-output cs1-formatmw-parser-output cs1-kern-left,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-leftmw-parser-output cs1-kern-right,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-rightmw-parser-output citation mw-selflink
- In Daily Chronicle War Books, Volume IV, 1914, "The Campaign Around Liége" by J M Kennedy
- The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman 1962
- Newspaper clippings about Otto von Emmich in the 20th Century Press Archives of the ZBW
|This biographical article related to the German Army is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it|
gen. otto von emmich, otto von emmich
Otto von Emmich Information about
Otto von Emmich
Otto von Emmich
Otto von Emmich viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.