Okhotsk Plateokhotsk plate, okhotsk plate and pacific plate
The Okhotsk Plate is a minor tectonic plate covering the Sea of Okhotsk, the Kamchatka Peninsula, Sakhalin Island and Tōhoku and Hokkaidō in Japan It was formerly considered a part of the North American Plate, but recent studies indicate that it is an independent plate, bounded on the north by the North American Plate1 The boundary is a left-lateral moving transform fault, the Ulakhan Fault On the east, the plate is bounded by the Pacific Plate at the Kuril-Kamchatka Trench and the Japan Trench, on the south by the Philippine Sea Plate at the Nankai Trough, on the west by the Eurasian Plate, and possibly on the southwest by the Amurian Plate2
The boundary between Okhotsk Plate and Amurian Plate might be responsible for many strong earthquakes that occurred in the Sea of Japan as well as in the Sakhalin island, such as the MW71 MS75 according to other sources earthquake of May 27, 1995 in northern Sakhalin345 The earthquake devastated Neftegorsk, and the town was not rebuilt after the earthquake Other notable intraplate earthquakes such as the 1983 Sea of Japan earthquake and the 1993 Hokkaidō earthquake triggered tsunamis in the Sea of Japan
The boundary between Okhotsk Plate and Pacific Plate is a subduction zone, where Pacific Plate subducts beneath the Okhotsk Plate Many strong megathrust earthquakes occurred here, some of them among the largest on world record, including the Kamchatka earthquakes of 1737 estimated M90~93 and 1952 M90 Such strong megathrust earthquakes can also occur near the Kuril Islands, as the M83 earthquake of November 15, 2006,67 Hokkaido, as the M83 earthquake of September 26, 200389 and the M90 2011 Tōhoku earthquake off the coast of Honshu
GPS measurements and other studies show that the Okhotsk Plate is slowly rotating in a clockwise direction Models indicate that it rotates 02 deg/Myr about a pole located north of Sakhalin10
- ^ Apel et al, 2006; and Seno et al, 1996 http://onlinelibrarywileycom/wol1/doi/101029/2006GL026077/full
- ^ http://wwwstephan-mueller-spec-publ-sernet/4/147/2009/smsps-4-147-2009pdf
- ^ Tamura, Makoto; et al 2002 "The ShalIow Seismicity in the Southern Part of Sakhalin" PDF Geophysical Bulletin of Hokkaido University 65: 127–142
- ^ "Earthquake Information for 1995" USGS
- ^ Arefiev, S S; et al 2006 "Deep structure and tomographic imaging of strong earthquake source zones" Izvestiya Physics of the solid Earth 42 10: 850–863 Bibcode:2006IzPSE42850A doi:101134/S1069351306100090
- ^ "IEEE Xplore Abstract – Offshore Tsunami Observation by the Kuril Islands Earthquake of 15 November 2006" PDF Ieeexploreieeeorg doi:101109/UT2007370767 Retrieved 2016-01-01
- ^ "Magnitude 83 – KURIL ISLANDS" Earthquakeusgsgov Retrieved 2016-01-01
- ^ Watanabe, Tomoki; et al 2006 "Seismological monitoring on the 2003 Tokachi-oki earthquake, derived from off Kushiro permanent cabled OBSs and land-based observations" Tectonophysics 426 1–2: 107–118 Bibcode:2006Tectp426107W doi:101016/jtecto200602016
- ^ "Magnitude 83 – HOKKAIDO, JAPAN REGION" Earthquakeusgsgov Retrieved 2016-01-01
- ^ Apel, et al, 2006
- Okhotsk Plate Modeling
- Joint US-Russia Workshop on the Plate Tectonic Evolution of Northeast Russia, Dec 2004
|List of tectonic plates|
|Faults and rift zones||
|Trenches and troughs||Kuril Trench Mariana Trench Japan Izu-Ogasawara Trench Japan Trench Nankai Trough Sagami Trough Suruga Trough Okinawa Trough Ryukyu Trench Philippines Manila Trench Philippine Trench East Luzon Trench|
|This tectonics article is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
okhotsk plate, okhotsk plate and pacific plate, okhotsk-plate-fixed
Okhotsk Plate Information about
Okhotsk Plate viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.