Oh No They Didn't
Oh No They Didn't, also known as ONTD, is the largest community on LiveJournal with over 100,000 members The community focuses on celebrity gossip and pop culture with most of its posts aggregated from other gossip blogs The site formed a partnership with pop culture blog network Buzz Media in July 2010 that was not renewed a year later
The blog boasts over 300,000 page views daily according to Popmatters When LiveJournal increased the comment limit on posts from 5000 to 10,000 comments, ONTD contained the first post to reach this new limit
- 1 Origins
- 2 Editorial style
- 3 Awards and recognition
- 4 Community culture
- 5 Exclusives
- 6 LiveJournal downtime
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The community was originally created in 2004 by teenagers Erin Lang, Bri Draffen and Breniecia Reuben Lang maintains that after her mother died in 2009 she was denied access to the site and lost control to the current moderators Brenden Delzer and Elizabeth Carter
The community publishes an average of 100 member posts per day, with most posts getting between 100 and 500 comments on average The community moderators post a weekly post called "Free for All Friday" or "FFAF" which allows members to post off-topic comments These free-for-all posts have often been expanded to include community discussion posts for important pop culture events such as the Academy Awards, the Olympics known as "Free for All Olympics" or "FFAO" posts and Saturday Night Live viewing posts
In addition to members submitting the posts themselves, ONTD relies heavily on user participation in the comments section, where members can express their opinions on posts Members often illustrate their reaction to a particular news item by posting an animated GIF image which represents their feelings After the death of Michael Jackson on June 25, 2009, according to MSNBC, "users expressed their collective grief by posting a Fantasia Barrino GIF, in which the American Idol star wails and flails her arms wildly," while other users expressed concern over the continued use of a popular GIF taken from the music video "Thriller" featuring a scene of Jackson eating popcorn, an image that is frequently posted on the community in anticipation of a controversial or "flame-worthy topic"
Oh No They Didn't's popularity has resulted in a series of spin-off communities which follow the same format, but with a different or specialized topic, such as ontd_political for politics A comprehensive list of other communities is available here
Awards and recognition
ONTD won the Best Gossip Blog award in the 2008 Weblog Awards, beating out other popular celebrity blogs such as D-Listed, Perez Hilton and TMZ, with a whopping 44% of the vote
ONTD has been noted in O, the Oprah Magazine, cited in Life & Style, and artist Lily Allen referenced the online community in the March 2009 issue of Playboy Magazine
The Swedish newspaper Metro described the community as "Gossip on steroids" The paper also noted that with a high volume of posts, the reader would "find a lot of highlights, and often before newspapers get their hands on it" The San Francisco Chronicle wrote that the "scandal-mongering community overflows with interactive snark" and encouraged the reader to "imagine a gossip clearinghouse run by teenagers with bad attitudes and sharp tongues" The AV Club cited ONTD as a "favorite time-wasting website" and wrote that "the comments section can sometimes be more amusing than the posts themselves" In December 2009, the users of ONTD were derisively referred to as "jackals" because the stories posted on the blog are taken from other sources In response, the users embraced the term and repeatedly used the term in later posts, as well as manipulating their icons to include photographs of the animals
The Village Voice called the community a "psychopathic celebrity news/gossip wire-of-sorts" and its users "a community of pathologically obsessive celebrity gossip sadomasochists"
Members of the community often use acronyms such as TY "thank you", BB "baby" and IAWTC "I agree with this comment" The devoted followers of celebrities – such as Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Rihanna, and Lady Gaga – are nicknamed "stans" after the Eminem song "Stan" In FFAF free for all Friday posts, members are encouraged by moderators to ask any questions or to voice any comments or concerns about the site, as well as posting off-topic comments freely
ONTD was the first community to break the news of Jamie Lynn Spears' pregnancy, after leaking OK! Magazine's unpublished front page cover, and was the first to report that Kirk Acevedo had announced via his Facebook status update that he had been fired from the Fox drama, Fringe
When the rumors of Jon from Jon and Kate Gosselin's infidelity started appearing in February 2009, a photo of Jon out on town was posted on ONTD, which showed him posing with two young women in a local bar National gossip magazines picked up the news, and a screen grab of ONTD could be seen in Star and US Weekly
The most scandalous and notable events are often given nicknames to distinguish them in future posts, such as the January 2008 hospitalization of Britney Spears, which was dubbed Hostage Brituation '08 by the community's members This nickname was later picked up and used by Rolling Stone The abuse case between singers Rihanna and Chris Brown was dubbed Domestic Disturbia '09 by the community's members, and the community was also credited with starting a meme "Gokey is a douche" connected to some friends of American Idol contestant Danny Gokey's negative comments and pictures regarding fellow contestant Adam Lambert The forced removal of "#gokeyisadouche" from Twitter's trending topics list prompted a discussion on Twitter's censorship
The community was also responsible for a hoax that claimed actress Betty White had died After a post titled "Renner, Just Happy to Be Here" was approved to the community, the original poster edited the post to show a screen grab of a TMZ article claiming White had died Users displayed shock and confusion, before slowly realizing the article was a fake when not only did the source link just go to TMZ's main website, but the article mentioned "possibilities of foul play and drug abuse, and grandchildren that Betty White does not have" Community moderators deleted the post within 40 minutes, but not before "Betty White" became a Twitter trending topic Once the hoax was discovered, fans urged each other to tweet #BettyWhiteFacts and other positive messages about White instead of spreading further death rumours
Another notable hoax involved a fake Twitter screenshot of Michael Lohan saying his daughter Lindsay Lohan had an affair with Tommy Mottola when she was 17, and that she had HIV Though the post was quickly deleted, Perez Hilton reported on the screenshot as if it were true and other gossip sites followed Michael believed that the screenshot was real and that someone had hacked his Twitter account, while Lindsay refused to believe her father was innocent, stating "He's a grown man and has done the exact same things on TV/interviews, why wouldn't he lie on Twitter, and everywhere else!" The moderators of ONTD later apologized for the scandal, while stating that they were "pretty appalled to learn that NONE of the other gossip or news sites that posted the story bothered to check for accuracy and have yet to post a retraction or apology for spreading such a vicious rumor"
In January 2009, ONTD became the first LiveJournal community to surpass 16,777,216 224 comments This exceeded LiveJournal's previously unknown limit on comments This resulted in almost a week of downtime for the community, while LiveJournal worked to fix the issue A second community, ontd, was created and members posted and commented there until the issue was fixed
Oh No They Didn't was briefly suspended due to an explosion in usage following the death of Michael Jackson on June 25, 2009 The amount of traffic the community received brought all of LiveJournal's servers down, resulting in downtime for the entire domain During this time, members migrated temporarily to ontd once again
On January 18, 2012, Oh No They Didn't blacked out for 12 hours, in protest of SOPA The decision was left up to the users, who voted in support of the site's blackout
- Kermit Bale, meme with its origin in ONTD
- ^ "LiveJournal news", retrieved on 2010-04-29
- ^ Oh Yes We Did! BUZZMEDIA and Oh No They Didn’t Partner
- ^ a b "Through the Grapewine", PopMatters, 2008-06-09 Retrieved 2009-06-19
- ^ Livejournal September 2009 LiveJournal: The First Decade Blurb
- ^ Mitchell Sunderland and Emalie Marthe 6 October 2014 "OH NO HE DIDN'T DID A WHITE GUY STEAL A POPULAR GOSSIP SITE FROM THREE BLACK TEENAGERS" Retrieved 6 October 2014
- ^ "ONTD! Calendar", retrieved 2009-02-27
- ^ a b c Popkin, Helen AS: "'Net Big Enough For Michael Jackson and Iran", MSNBC 2009-06-26 Retrieved on 2009-06-26
- ^ Best Gossip Blog - The 2008 Weblog Awards
- ^ Winfrey, Oprah: "Guilty Pleasures" O, The Oprah Magazine, June 2008 Retrieved 2009-02-27
- ^ "Is Taylor Growing Too Fast" Life & Style, October 2008 Retrieved 2009-02-27
- ^ "Playboy Music Awards", Playboy, March 2009 Retrieved 2009-02-27
- ^ a b Nanok Bie: "Ett himmelrike för skvallertanten", Swedish Metro, 16-02-2009 Retrieved on 11-06-2009 "Oh No They Didn’t är en skvallersajt på steroider I stället för att några utvalda ”journalister” skriver inläggen är det här medlemmarna själva som skvallrar Och med fler än 50 000 medlemmar blir tempot på skvallret högt och kvaliteten högst varierande Men om man älskar skvaller och orkar vada igenom mer än 100 inlägg om dagen så hittar man många guldkorn, ofta innan de större tidningarna fått upp ögonen för det"
- ^ Chonin, Neva "Surfing for the Superficial" San Francisco Chronicle 2006-08-14 Retrieved 2009-06-19
- ^ http://wwwavclubcom/articles/favorite-timewasting-websites,31112/
- ^ Leins, Jeff "Perez Hilton Ironically Declares Avatar a Failure" News in Film 2009-12-21 Retrieved 2009-12-27
- ^ "perez continues to be a moron- ontd gets a mention" 2009-12-22 Retrieved 2009-12-27
- ^ Andrew Breitbart vs Oh No They Didn't: A Media Spat with Epic Potential
- ^ Karger, Dave 'Fringe' star Kirk Acevedo announces firing on Facebook Entertainment Weekly May 20, 2009 Retrieved June 18, 2009
- ^ Star magazine, issue 03-04-2009, page 58-59
- ^ US Weekly, issue 03-11-2009, page 42
- ^ Kreps, Daniel: "Britney Spears Hospitalized After “Hostage Brituation” Involving Her Two Kids; Released Next Day", Rolling Stone, 2008-01-04 Retrieved 2009-02-27
- ^ Wednesdays Word Up: Domestic Disturbia
- ^ Montgomery, James Danny Gokey Detractors Take Their Fight To Twitter, Google MTV News June 18, 2009 Retrieved June 18, 2009
- ^ Seth Abramovitch: How a Photo of Adam 'The Ferosh Hulk' Lambert Ignited a Gokey-Hating Revolution Movieline, 2009-06-18 Retrieved on 2009-06-19
- ^ a b Betty White is just fine -- though one hoaxer better lie low for a while Los Angeles Times March 2, 2010 Retrieved March 3, 2010
- ^ The Cutting Room Floor - ALERT : Betty White is Alive
- ^ Kurtz, Howard 2010-05-07 "Michael and Lindsay Lohan lies go viral, and the truth is hard to corral" The Washington Post
- ^ Lewis, Nick Web of Gossip Calgary Herald February 11, 2009 Retrieved June 9, 2009
- ^ Livejournal responds: "Minor database maintenance -- ONTD!!!1", 2009-01-28 Retrieved 2009-02-27
- ^ Continually updated ONTD post detailing the issue: "It appears that ONTD has reached an undocumented limit - journals can only have approximately 167 million total comments made to them before running out of room in the database to store more comments", 2009-01-28 Retrieved 2009-02-27
- ^ "Oops" - ONTD,
- ^ "Welcome back!" Oh No They Didn't Retrieved 2012-01-19
- ^ "CENSORSHIP PROTEST" Oh No They Didn't Retrieved 2012-01-19
- Oh No They Didn't
Oh No They Didn't Information about
Oh No They Didn't
Oh No They Didn't
Oh No They Didn't Information Video
Oh No They Didn't viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.