Nicola Blackwoodnicola blackwood, john blackwood
Nicola Claire Blackwood1 born 16 October 19792 is a British Conservative Party politician She was elected as Member of Parliament MP for Oxford West and Abingdon in the 2010 election and as Chair of the Commons Science and Technology Select Committee in June 20153 She became Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Health Services Public Health Minister in July 20164
- 1 Early life
- 2 Political career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Blackwood was born on 16 October 1979 in Johannesburg to a nurse and a cardiologist parents Two months later her family returned to the United Kingdom and she was brought up in Oxford5 As a child she suffered from asthma and was also diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome when she was 15, which meant that she was taught at home for her GCSE and A-Level exams6 From the age of fourteen she trained as a singer at Trinity College of Music, then went up to St Anne's College, Oxford, where she obtained a First class degree in music She later graduated MPhil in musicology from Emmanuel College, Cambridge5
Before her election to parliament, Blackwood worked for Andrew Mitchell She also worked as a volunteer on human rights and aid projects in the Middle East, Mozambique, Rwanda and Bangladesh, and has also worked as a volunteer among the disadvantaged in Birmingham and Blackpool
Prior to standing for election, Blackwood worked with the Conservative Party Human Rights Group which was set up to find ways for the UK to combat human rights abuses in countries like Burma and the Democratic Republic of the Congo and subsequently as an adviser to the then Shadow International Development Secretary, Andrew Mitchell during the 2005–10 parliament
Blackwood was chosen as the Conservative prospective parliamentary candidate for Oxford West and Abingdon at an open primary on 13 November 20067 The seat had previously been held by the Conservatives between its creation in 1983 and 1997, when it was won by Dr Evan Harris for the Liberal Democrats, but he had held the seat comfortably in 2001 and 2005 Boundary changes which came into effect in 2010 were thought to have favoured the Conservatives, with some 8,000 urban voters including many students being moved into the Oxford East constituency and more rural voters added8
Blackwood won the seat at the 2010 general election by 176 votes on a 69% swing to the Conservatives from the Liberal Democrats In late 2010, Blackwood was elected to serve on the Home Affairs Select Committee and is secretary of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Overseas Development9 She is a member of the Conservative Party Human Rights Commission,10 as well as holding a position on the Council of Advisors for ZANE, a charity which seeks to support pensioners in Zimbabwe11
Blackwood voted against the Marriage Same Sex Couples Bill in 2013 after intimating to students that she would support the measure, for which she was criticised by Oxford University Student Union12 Blackwood said she had voted against the final draft of the Bill because she was not satisfied the protections of religious freedoms were sufficient She has also been criticised by student activists for her support of fox-hunting and her wish to have the ban on fox-hunting repealed13
Blackwood criticised the handling of Work Capability Assessments by ATOS after an Oxfordshire man starved to death in 2013 after his Incapacity Benefit was wrongly stopped,14 and later said that she had spoken personally "on numerous occasions" with her colleague Mark Harper at the Department of Work and Pensions to complain about the length of time it has taken the DWP to finalise the report into his death"
At the 2015 general election Blackwood retained her seat with an increased majority of 9,58215 Following the announcement of the result, she said that she will "continue to fight for A34 investment, affordable housing and flood defences"16
Blackwood's biggest donor in the lead up to the 2015 election was a company called Countrywide Developments Limited 17, controlled by AC Gallagher who was also Director of Gallagher Estates No1 Limited Notably Gallagher Estates was and continues to be involved in several housing developments in Oxfordshire, including those near Banbury and Bicester Countrywide Developments made two donations of £10,000 to Blackwood, one in July 2014 and the other in March 2015 18
On 19 June 2015, she was announced as having been elected to the chairmanship of the Science & Technology Select Committee3
She became Undersecretary of State for Health Services Public Health Minister in July 2016
Blackwood was opposed to Brexit prior to the 2016 referendum19
Blackwood has been a member of the Conservative Christian Fellowship since 2005 and is a regular worshipper at the Church of England's St Aldate's in Oxford11
In March 2015, she revealed that she had been diagnosed with the genetic condition Ehlers–Danlos syndrome in 2013 and had later been diagnosed with the associated secondary condition of postural tachycardia syndrome, which causes chronic migraines for which she is treated by having 32 injections in the head every 10–12 weeks6 She also stated that her medical conditions had not affected her performance as a member of parliament and that she planned to continue in front line politics6
- ^ "no 59418" The London Gazette 13 May 2010 p 8744
- ^ "Democracy Live: Your representatives: Nicola Blackwood" BBC Retrieved 20 November 2012
- ^ a b "Winning candidates for select committee Chairs announced" UK Parliament 18 June 2015 Retrieved 19 June 2015
- ^ "Nicola Blackwood appointed Minister in Department of Health" Oxford Mail Retrieved 21 July 2016
- ^ a b "About Nicola Blackwood" Retrieved 25 April 2015
- ^ a b c Rodgers, Keeley 31 March 2015 "Nicola Blackwood: I'm battling a genetic mobility condition EhlersDanlos" Oxford Mail
- ^ ConservativeHome's Seats & Candidates blog: Oxford West and Abingdon open primary
- ^ Tory topples Evan Harris From The Oxford Times
- ^ Executive, Apgood, UK
- ^ Oxford City Conservatives — Nicola Blackwood Archived 1 May 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ a b Profile of Nicola Blackwood
- ^ Gerretsen, Isabelle 23 May 2013 "Anger as Oxford MP votes against gay marriage" Cherwell
- ^ Mintz, Luke 24 April 2015 "Oxford West MP under fire for fox hunting stance" The Oxford Student
- ^ Ormiston, Katriona 29 March 2014 "Government admits Mark Wood's benefits cut before he starved to death 'was wrong'" Oxford Mail Retrieved 26 March 2015
- ^ "Oxford West & Abingdon parliamentary constituency – Election 2015" BBC News Retrieved 10 May 2015
- ^ "Oxford West & Abingdon: Nicola Blackwood 'I will continue to fight for A34 investment, affordable housing and flood defences' Meridian – ITV News" ITV News Retrieved 10 May 2015
- ^ https://betacompanieshousegovuk/company/02865543
- ^ https://wwwtheyworkforyoucom/regmem/p=24842
- ^ Goodenough, Tom 16 February 2016 "Which Tory MPs back Brexit, who doesn't and who is still on the fence" The Spectator Retrieved 11 October 2016
- Nicola Blackwood website
- Profile at the Conservative Party website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Oxford West and Abingdon
john blackwood, john blackwood and ursula hamilton, john blackwood beckman, john blackwood beckman coulter email, john blackwood becton dickinson, john blackwood linkedin, john blackwood mcewen, nicola blackwood, nicola blackwood husband, nicola blackwood mp
Nicola Blackwood Information about
Nicola Blackwood viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.