Mon . 19 Nov 2019
TR | RU | UK | KK | BE |

New Marston

new marston primary school, st michael and all angels new marston
New Marston is a suburb about 125 miles 2 km northeast of the centre of Oxford, England

Contents

  • 1 History
  • 2 Churches
  • 3 Schools
  • 4 References
  • 5 Sources

Historyedit

New Marston is built on land that was originally part of the manor of Headington It was rural until the 19th century, when housing began to develop along Marston Road from St Clement's towards the village of Marston The first residential development appears to have occurred in the area of William Street, Edgeway Road and Ferry Road The 1886 - 1890 OS County Series map of Oxfordshire shows William Street sub-dividend in to a number of plots but only two significant buildings and a single dwelling on Edgeway Road By the time of the 1899 edition of the same map Ferry Road has been extended in a Westerly direction to its modern extent and along with William Street, the southern side of Edgeway Road, and adjoining parts of Marston Road, had seen significant development Development of New Marston appears to have stalled between the turn of the century and the 1920s, the 1921 map 1 shows little change from the 1899 edition save for the Northern side of Edgeway Road and the site of present day Hugh Allen Crescent being designated as allotments the land would be developed in 1930, and the addition of the Wadham College Cricket Ground to the North

New Marston seems to have received a mains water supply by the end of the 1870s and mains drainage by the 1920s2

New Marston's main development was in the 20th century, shortly after 216 acres of land were incorporated within the boundary of Oxford City in 1929,3 when the County Borough of Oxford developed estates of council houses around Marston Road and north of Headley Way The County Borough had built 138 council houses at New Marston by 1938 and added another 70 after 19504

Marston cycle path

Churchesedit

Cowley Road Congregational Church opened a mission hall in New Marston in 18855 This was replaced by a new building opened in 19395 It is now Marston United Reformed Church6

The former Church of England mission hall, now the Russian Orthodox church of St Nicholas the Wonderworker

In 1919 the Church of England parish of St Nicholas, Marston opened a mission hall in Ferry Road to serve the parts of New Marston that had been built by that time7 Somewhat later a campanile was added, its style and sand-lime brick suggesting that it is the work of the then Oxford Diocesan Architect T Lawrence Dale

In 1954-56 Saint Michael and All Angels parish church8 was built on Marston Road at the corner of Jack Straw's Lane as a chapel of ease for the parish of St Andrew, Headington7 St Michael's was consecrated in September 19559 and superseded the Ferry Road mission hall, which was then deconsecrated and sold for secular use7 In 1963 the Diocese of Oxford constituted St Michael's as a parish church, with its new parish formed from parts of Headington, Marston and St Clement's parishes7

St Michael & All Angels parish church from the southeast

St Michael's was designed by TL Dale10 in a "vaguely Italian renaissance style"7 that includes a slender campanile9 for its single bell It has a statue of St Michael by Michael Groser and a reredos painted by Leon Underwood911 St Michael's is unusual for its elliptical windows and for its tall, box-like chancel

The Russian Orthodox Diocese of Sourozh established the parish of Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker in Oxford in 200612 The congregation worshipped in rented premises until 2010, when it acquired the former Church of England mission hall in Ferry Road and restored it to use as a church12 The Russian congregation has added a small onion dome and a small mosaic picture of St Nicholas to the south gable of the building

Schoolsedit

New Marston Church of England School in Marston Road opened in 1928 and became St Michael's Church of England Aided Primary School in 19551314

Milham Ford School, a girls' secondary school that had been founded in Cowley Place in 1906, moved to newly built and larger premises in Marston Road in 193913 The school was closed in 2003 and its premises sold to Oxford Brookes University

Infant and junior mixed schools were opened in Copse Lane north of Headley Way in 194813 They are now New Marston Primary School15

Referencesedit

  1. ^ https://wwwold-mapscouk/#/Map/452954/207313/12/101122
  2. ^ Crossley & Elrington, 1979, pages 350–364
  3. ^ http://wwwoldmarston-pcgovuk/timelinehtml
  4. ^ Crossley & Elrington, 1979, pages 181–259
  5. ^ a b Crossley & Elrington, 1979, pages 415–424
  6. ^ Marston United Reformed Church
  7. ^ a b c d e Crossley & Elrington, 1979, pages 369–412
  8. ^ Saint Michael and All Angels, New Marston, UK
  9. ^ a b c "Colourful New Church — Consecration Tonight" Oxford Mail 28 September 1955 
  10. ^ Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 336
  11. ^ Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 337
  12. ^ a b "Parish Background" Parish of Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker Parish of Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker Retrieved 12 March 2011 
  13. ^ a b c Crossley & Elrington, 1979, pages 442–462
  14. ^ St Michael's CE Aided Primary School
  15. ^ New Marston Primary School

Sourcesedit

  • Crossley, Alan; Elrington, CR eds; Chance, Eleanor; Colvin, Christina; Cooper, Janet; Day, CJ; Hassall, TG; Selwyn, Nesta 1979 A History of the County of Oxford, Volume 4 Victoria County History 
  • Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus 1974 Oxfordshire The Buildings of England Harmondsworth: Penguin Books pp 336–337 ISBN 0-14-071045-0 

new marston primary, new marston primary school, new marston primary school oxford, new marston primary school website, st michael and all angels new marston


New Marston Information about

New Marston


  • user icon

    New Marston beatiful post thanks!

    29.10.2014


New Marston
New Marston
New Marston viewing the topic.
New Marston what, New Marston who, New Marston explanation

There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video

Random Posts

The San Francisco Examiner

The San Francisco Examiner

The San Francisco Examiner is a longtime daily newspaper distributed in and around San Francisco, Ca...
Frederator Films

Frederator Films

Frederator Films is an animation studio founded by Fred Seibert as part of Frederator Studios, with ...
John Hasbrouck Van Vleck

John Hasbrouck Van Vleck

John Hasbrouck Van Vleck March 13, 1899 – October 27, 1980 was an American physicist and mathematici...
Christian Lacroix

Christian Lacroix

Christian Marie Marc Lacroix French pronunciation: ​kʁistjɑ̃ lakʁwa; born 16 May 1951 is a Fren...