Mikulčice Czech pronunciation: is a municipality obec in the Czech Republic, situated 7 km south of Hodonín, nearby the Slovak border It extends for 1,530 ha, comprising 1,955 inhabitants in 623 homes, and a biospheric reserve, containing beavers and storks The local economy is predominantly based on agriculture and tourism
- 1 History
- 2 Statistical divisions
- 3 References
- 4 External links
HistorySaints Cyril and Methodius monument The foundations of a 9th-century church in Mikulčice-Valy
From the sixth until the tenth century, a Slavic fortified settlement existed 3 km away from the modern village The settlement was one of the main centres of the Great Moravian Empire, plausibly its capital city Excavations, led by Josef Poulík, unearthed the remnants of twelve churches, a palace, and more than 2,500 graves three containing African skeletons including a horse burial The only still-standing church safely dated to the Great Moravian period is found in the nearby Slovak village of Kopčany just across the Morava river The excavation complex is nationally recognised as the Mikulčice-Valy or Mikulčice Archaeopark heritage site
The oldest written reference to the village itself dates to 1131, when the village was referred to as Miculcici in Medieval Latin Both the Czech Mikulčice and the Latin Miculcici are nouns which exist only in the plural form, like the Netherlands Mikulčice meaning simply "the people of Mikul dialectal form of Nicholas"
- Mikulčice 303 homes, 918 inhabitants
- Těšice 320 homes, 988 inhabitants
- ^ Berend, Nóra 2007 Christianization and the Rise of Christian Monarchy: Scandinavia, Central Europe and Rus' C 900-1200 Cambridge UP pp 216, 321 ISBN 9780521876162 Retrieved 25 June 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mikulčice|
- Polacek, Lumir Ninth-century Mikulcice: The «market of the Moravians» The archaeological evidence of trade in Great Moravia // Post-Roman towns, trade and settlement in Europe and Byzantium Vol 1 The heirs of the Roman West / Ed by Joachim Henning Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2007 P 499-524
- Official website of Mikulčice in Czech
- Mikulčice-Valy Heritage Site in Czech
- A short history in English
- Census information about the municipality in Czech
|This South Moravian Region location article is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
Mikulčice Information about
Mikulčice viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.