Michael Maniacimichael maniaci, michael maniaci male soprano
Michael Maniaci born May 3, 1976 is an American opera singer Possessing a male soprano voice, Maniaci is noted for his claim to be able to sing into the upper soprano range without resorting to falsetto, an otherwise common phonation for men who sing in high registers, such as countertenors Although this was possible for castrati because of the hormonal imbalance following castration, Maniaci claims that, for some unknown reason, his larynx did not develop and lengthen completely during puberty, causing his voice not to "break" in the usual manner Maniaci claims that this physical particularity has given him the ability to sing in the soprano register without sounding like a typical countertenor or a female singer There are, however, critics who claim that Maniaci actually sings in falsetto
Maniaci is becoming an important presence on the international classical music scene, having already appeared in lead roles at companies such as the Metropolitan Opera, La Fenice, and Opera North He is known mostly for singing the works of Handel, Mozart, and Monteverdi
- 1 Biography
- 11 Early life
- 12 Education
- 2 Career
- 3 Recording
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Maniaci spent his early childhood in the American Midwest During his early teens, his family relocated to Western Pennsylvania and resided in Peters Township, a small community located approximately twenty miles south of Pittsburgh During his middle school years, Maniaci began to develop his musical skills within numerous school musicals, as well as a variety of community musical groups While a student at Peters Township High School, Maniaci participated in several junior musical organizations, winning many awards and honors, for his work as both a singer and an instrumentalist He graduated from high school in 1994
Michael Maniaci graduated from the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music with a bachelor's degree in Vocal Performance and went on to the Juilliard School of music where he graduated with a Masters in Vocal Performance Maniaci first received notice when he received the Bronze Medal in the 1997 Rosa Ponselle International Opera Competition He went on to gain experience with several prestigious American young artist programs such as Wolf Trap Opera, Glimmerglass Opera's Young American Artists Program, Aspen Opera Theater and the Tanglewood Music Festival
In 1999 he won the Houston Grand Opera Competition He is a winner of the 2002 Sara Tucker Study Grant and the 2002 Shoshana Foundation Career Grant In 2003 he won the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions
In the 2001–2002 season, Maniaci made his Carnegie Hall debut in Chichester Psalms with The Orchestra of St Luke's, sang Nerone in L'Incoronazione di Poppea for Toronto's Opéra Atélier, and the title role in Xerxes with Wolf Trap Opera In the 2002–2003 season, Maniaci made his European debut as Ulisse in Handel's Deidamia with the Goettingen International Handel Festival, his New York City Opera debut as the Sandman in Hänsel und Gretel, and his return to Glimmerglass Opera as Medoro in Handel's Orlando In the 2003–2004 season, Maniaci sang Nerone in L'Incoronazione di Poppea with Chicago Opera Theater which marked the opening of the company's new theatre, and with Cleveland Opera He also sang the title role in Handel's Oreste with the Juilliard Opera Center, and at Glimmerglass Opera he appeared as Tirinto in Handel's Imeneo That same year, Maniaci won the 2003 Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions
In 2004, Maniaci portrayed the role of Cherubino in Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro with Pittsburgh Opera This was the first time the role was performed by a man in the United States In 2005, Maniaci made his debut performances with Santa Fe Opera singing the role of Lucio Cinna opposite Susan Graham's Cecilio in Mozart's Lucio Silla and his debut with the Royal Danish Opera In 2006, Maniaci made his Metropolitan Opera debut in the role of Nireno in Handel's Giulio Cesare In 2007, he made his debut with Opera North as Atis in The Fortunes of King Croesus and with La Fenice in the role of Armando in Giacomo Meyerbeer's Il crociato in Egitto Also in 2007, Maniaci returned to Glimmerglass Opera to perform the title role in Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice
In 2008, Maniaci performed the role of Idamante in Mozart's Idomeneo re di Creta with Opera Atelier and sang the title role in Xerxes with Boston Baroque In 2009, Maniaci is scheduled to appear in Francesco Cavalli's Eliogabalo with the Grange Park Opera and return to Opera Atelier to perform Nerone in L'incoronazione di Poppea In 2010 he will perform in Martín y Soler's L'arbore di Diana at the Liceu in Barcelona
In 2010, Maniaci originated the role of Xiao Ching in the world premiere of Zhou Long's opera Madame White Snake with Opera Boston and the Beijing Music Festival
Maniaci has also had a prolific concert schedule His orchestral engagements have included appearances with Tafelmusik, the New Holland Baroque Orchestra, the Bridgehampton Chamber Music Festival, and a tour with Academie Baroque de Montréal throughout Canada and Germany Maniaci has also performed with Boston Baroque and toured throughout Asia with the Shanghai Opera Orchestra He has also been heard in concert with L'Opéra de Montréal
In 2011, Maniaci played the role of Sesto, alongside Measha Brueggergosman as Vitellia, in Opera Atelier's production of La Clemenza di Tito in Toronto, Canada He received a standing ovation on opening night, April 22, 2011 In 2014 he made his debut with the Cincinnati Opera as Endymion in La Calisto
- Meyerbeer: Il crociato in Egitto Michael Maniaci, Patrizia Ciofi, Marco Vinco, Laura Polverelli, Fernando Portari, Iorio Zennaro, Silvia Pasini, Luca Favaron, Emanuele Pedrini; Orchestra and Chorus of Teatro La Fenice; Conductor: Emmanuel Villaume Dynamic DV 33549 DVD
- Mozart: Arias for Male Soprano Michael Maniaci, Boston Baroque, Conductor: Martin Pearlman Telarc International, TEL-31827-02 Released January 26, 2010
- ^ a b The man with the 300-year-old voice – Times Online
- ^ David Laviska, "Mozart Arias for Male Soprano," musicalcriticismcom, February 2010, retrieved December 2015 "Regardless of the label he chooses for himself however, like all counter-tenors, Maniaci sings exclusively in falsetto"
- ^ a b Opera Today : An Interview With Michael Maniaci
- ^ "Michael Maniaci: male soprano" Archived from the original on December 17, 2007 Retrieved December 9, 2007mw-parser-output citecitationmw-parser-output citation qmw-parser-output id-lock-free a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-free amw-parser-output id-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output id-lock-registration a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-registration amw-parser-output id-lock-subscription a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-subscription amw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registrationmw-parser-output cs1-subscription span,mw-parser-output cs1-registration spanmw-parser-output cs1-ws-icon amw-parser-output codecs1-codemw-parser-output cs1-hidden-errormw-parser-output cs1-visible-errormw-parser-output cs1-maintmw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registration,mw-parser-output cs1-formatmw-parser-output cs1-kern-left,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-leftmw-parser-output cs1-kern-right,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-right
- ^ "Glimmerglass review" Archived from the original on January 13, 2009 Retrieved January 28, 2008
- ^ "Michael Maniaci" Archived from the original on July 16, 2011 Retrieved March 29, 2008
- ^ Opera Today, 02 November 2008
- ^ Janelle Gelfand July 13, 2014 "The love of 'La Calisto'" wwwcincinnaticom
- Michael Maniaci at Fletcher Artist Management
- Michael Maniaci sings Mozart's "Tu virginum corona" This is a historically informed performance
- Michael Maniaci Operabase
michael maniaci, michael maniaci accident, michael maniaci baroque and beyond, michael maniaci brooklyn, michael maniaci countertenor, michael maniaci imdb, michael maniaci instagram, michael maniaci male soprano, michael maniaci rock shrimp productions, michael maniaci youtube
Michael Maniaci Information about
Michael Maniaci viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.