Marseilles, Illinoismarseilles illinois school district, marseilles illinois fun days
Marseilles is a city in LaSalle County, Illinois, United States The population was 5,094 at the 2010 census, and was estimated to be 5,032 by July 20133 It is part of the Ottawa-Peru, IL Micropolitan Statistical Area
- 1 History
- 11 Nabisco Building
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 See also
- 5 References
Historyedit1938 WPA mural, "Industrial Marseilles" by Avery Johnson in Marseilles Post Office
Lovell Kimball arrived at the area along the Illinois River known as the Grand Rapids in 1833 from Watertown, New York Kimball, aware that the Illinois-Michigan Canal Bill had passed and the canal would eventually reach the rapids, hired a surveyor to lay out a town Kimball called the town Marseilles in reference to the French city of Marseilles as he hoped it would become a similar industrial center in Illinois Marseilles was officially platted on June 3, 1835; the plat was revised twice for railroad and canal right-of-ways4
In 1921 the National Biscuit Company Nabisco built an eight-story corrugated cardboard box production plant in Marseilles, the largest industrial building in the state outside of Chicago at the time, and the first air-conditioned factory in the Midwest Nabisco was a major employer in the area but ceased production at the plant in 20025
Marseilles is located at 41°19′40″N 88°42′4″W / 4132778°N 8870111°W / 4132778; -8870111 41327795, -887011216 The city is at the head of rapids along the Illinois River historically known as "the Grand Rapids" or the "Rapids of Maninumba"4
According to the 2010 census, Marseilles has a total area of 9206 square miles 2384 km2, of which 872 square miles 2258 km2 or 9472% is land and 0486 square miles 126 km2 or 528% is water7
|US Decennial Census8|
As of the 2010 Census9 there were 5,094 people, 2,045 households, and 1,327 families residing in the city The population density was 584 people per square mile 225/km² There were 2,422 housing units at an average density of 278 per square mile 107/km² The racial makeup of the city was 962% White, 004% African American, 04% Native American, 05% Asian, 14% from other races, and 12% from two or more races Hispanic or Latino of any race were 56% of the population
There were 2,045 households out of which 306% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 468% were married couples living together, 113% had a female householder with no husband present 296% of all households were made up of individuals and 260% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older The average household size was 245 and the average family size was 300
The city's age distribution consisted of 239% under the age of 18, and 149% who were 65 years of age or older The median age was 385 years, and females made up 507% of the population
During the period of 2009-2013 the median income for households was $37,558, per capita income was $20,931, and 128% of the population was below poverty level3
- William D Boyce
- William H Stead
- Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad Depot Marseilles, Illinois
- ^ "2016 US Gazetteer Files" United States Census Bureau Retrieved Jun 29, 2017
- ^ a b "Population and Housing Unit Estimates" Retrieved June 9, 2017
- ^ a b "Marseilles, Illinois" State and County Quick Facts US Census Bureau Retrieved 13 December 2014
- ^ a b Jakupcak, Joseph M "Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Depot" PDF, National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, June 5, 1995, Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, accessed May 20, 2008
- ^ Balynas, Joe "Former Nabisco Plant, located in Marseilles,IL" flickercom Flickr Retrieved 8 October 2015
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990" United States Census Bureau 2011-02-12 Retrieved 2011-04-23
- ^ "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1" United States Census Bureau Retrieved 2015-12-27
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing" Censusgov Retrieved June 4, 2015
- ^ "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010" American Factfinder US Census Bureau Retrieved 12 December 2014
|County seat: Ottawa|
|Footnotes||‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties|
marseilles illinois elementary, marseilles illinois evacuation, marseilles illinois flooding, marseilles illinois fun days, marseilles illinois funeral homes, marseilles illinois memorial, marseilles illinois mining in 1800, marseilles illinois newspaper the times, marseilles illinois post office, marseilles illinois school district
Marseilles, Illinois Information about
Marseilles, Illinois viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.