Luzon B. Morris
Luzon Buritt Morris April 16, 1827 – August 22, 1895 was an American lawyer and politician from Connecticut He served as the 55th Governor of Connecticut
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Death and legacy
- 4 References
- 5 Further reading
- 6 External links
Morris was born in Newtown, Connecticut He prepared for college at the Connecticut Literary Institute in Suffield, Connecticut and worked as a blacksmith and in a factory until he entered Yale University He studied law with a local attorney while attending Yale, graduating in 1854, and attaining admission to the bar in 185612 While at Yale he became a member of Skull and Bones3
Morris served in the Connecticut House of Representatives from 1855 until 1856, 1870, 1876, 1880 and in 1881 He was probate judge from 1857 until 1863, and served in the Connecticut Senate in 18744 He served as President pro tempore of the Connecticut Senate During his service in the Connecticut General Assembly, he was a member of the commission that settled the border dispute with New York He was an officer of the Connecticut Savings Bank for several years, and served as the bank president5
As Governor of Connecticut from January 4, 1893 until January 9, 1895, Morris was the only member of the Democratic Party to hold the governorship between 1885 and 1911 During his governorship, Morris advocated for constitutional amendments in the election laws, but failed to get the appropriate legislation passed His popularity eroded due to the bleak financial depression that overwhelmed the state, and he did not seek reelection6 After leaving office, Morris returned to his law practice
Morris married Eugenia L Tuttle in 1856 They had six children together including Mary Seamoor Morris Pratt, Helen Harrison Morris Hadley, Ray Morris and Robert Tuttle Morris
His daughter Mary married oil industrialist Charles Millard Pratt, and they had five children His daughter Helen married Yale University president Arthur Twining Hadley, and they had three children7 His son Ray was a partner in the investment banking house of Brown Brothers Harriman His son, Dr Robert Tuttle Morris, became a famous surgeon and author8
Death and legacyedit
Morris died of a stroke at his home in New Haven, Connecticut on August 22, 1895 He is interred at the Zoar Cemetery in Newtown, Connecticut His home in New Haven was purchased by Yale University in 1957 and restored in 1990 The house was originally built in 1873 and features Italianate architecture9
- ^ "LUZON B MORRIS, GOVERNOR OF CONNECTICUT, 1893-1895" Connecticut State Library Retrieved December 7, 2012
- ^ Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University, 1895-6, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, pp 388-9
- ^ The National cyclopaedia of American biography , Volume 10 JT White 1900
- ^ "Luzon B Morris" The Political Graveyard Retrieved 8 December 2012
- ^ "OBITUARY SKETCH OF LUZON B MORRIS" Connecticut State Library Retrieved December 7, 2012
- ^ "Luzon B Morris" National Governors Association Retrieved 8 December 2012
- ^ "Morris, Luzon Burritt 1827-1895" The Political Graveyard Retrieved December 7, 2012
- ^ Robert T Morris 1935, Fifty Years A Surgeon, New York: EP Dutton & Co, Inc
- ^ "The Luzon B Morris House 1873" Historic Buildings of Connecticut Retrieved December 7, 2012
- "Obituary Sketch of Luzon B Morris" Memorials of Connecticut Judges and Attorneys As Printed in the Connecticut Reports Connecticut State Library 2007-05-30 pp volume 66, pages 599–600 Retrieved 2007-06-28
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Luzon B Morris|
- The Political Graveyard
- Luzon B Morris at Find a Grave
- National Governors Association
Morgan G Bulkeley
|Governor of Connecticut
O Vincent Coffin
Luzon B. Morris Information about
Luzon B. Morris
Luzon B. Morris
Luzon B. Morris viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.