locate (Unix)locate unix command, locate file in unix
locate is a Unix utility which serves to find files on filesystems It searches through a prebuilt database of files generated by the updatedb command or by a daemon and compressed using incremental encoding It operates significantly faster than find, but requires regular updating of the database This sacrifices overall efficiency because of the regular interrogation of filesystems even when no user needs information and absolute accuracy since the database does not update in real time for significant speed improvements, particularly on very large filesystems
locate was first created in 19821 The BSD and GNU Findutils versions derive from the original implementation2 Their primary database is world-readable, so the index is built as an unprivileged user
mlocate Merging Locate and the earlier slocate Secure Locate use a restricted-access database, only showing filenames accessible to the user34
- ^ Woods, James A 1983-01-15 "Finding Files Fast" ;login: Vol 8 no 1 Usenix pp 8–10 Retrieved 2016-03-27
- ^ "Finding Files" GNU Free Software Foundation 2012-11-17 Retrieved 2016-03-27 GNU locate and its associated utilities were originally written by James Woods, with enhancements by David MacKenzie
- ^ Miloslav Trmač 2005 "mlocate" Archived from the original on 2006-04-11 Retrieved 2016-03-27 faster and does not trash the system caches as muchattempts to be compatible to GNU locate, when it does not conflict with slocate compatibility
- ^ Kevin Lindsay 1999 "Secure Locate" Archived from the original on 2005-05-07 Retrieved 2016-03-27 will also check file permissions and ownership so that users will not see files they do not have access to
- GNU Findutils
- locate1 – FreeBSD General Commands Manual
- locate1 – OpenBSD General Commands Manual
- rlocate - Variant using kernel module and daemon for continuous updates
- KwickFind - KDE GUI frontend for locate
- Locate32 for Windows - GPL'ed graphical Windows variant
|List of Unix commands|
|This Unix-related article is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
locate command in unix, locate command unix, locate file in unix, locate in unix, locate unix command
locate (Unix) Information about
locate (Unix) viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Random Posts (searchxengine.com)
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.