Local Government Act 2000local government act 2000, local government municipal systems act 2000
The Local Government Act 2000 c22 is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that reformed local government in England and Wales Its principal purposes are:
- to give powers to local authorities to promote economic, social and environmental well-being within their boundaries
- to require local authorities to shift from their traditional committee-based system of decision-making to an executive model, possibly with a directly elected mayor subject to approval by referendum, and with a cabinet of ruling party group members
- to create a consequent separation of functions with local authorities, with backbench councillors fulfilling an overview and scrutiny role
- to introduce a revised ethical framework for local authorities, requiring the adoption of codes of conduct for elected members and standards committees to implement the codes of conduct; the introduction of a national Standards Board and Adjudication Panel to deal with complaints and to oversee disciplinary issues
- to require each local authority to produce a publicly available constitution
The introduction of directly elected mayors was the most radical innovation in the Act About thirty local referendums have been held, the majority of which have decided against the elected mayor option
Options for council executive formsedit
The act provided that the executive of a local authority must take one of the following forms:
- Leader and cabinet executive
- Mayor and cabinet executive
- Mayor and council manager executive
- Alternative arrangement Sec31
The mayor and council manager executive option was repealed by the Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007
Changes made by the Localism Act 2011 made it possible for larger authorities more than 85,000 population to revert to a committee system of governance
- Text of the Local Government Act 2000 as in force today including any amendments within the United Kingdom, from legislationgovuk
- The Local Government Act 2000, as originally enacted, from the Office of Public Sector Information
- Explanatory notes to the Local Government Act 2000 from the Office of Public Sector Information
|Acts of Parliament by states preceding
the Kingdom of Great Britain
|Acts of Parliament of the
Kingdom of Great Britain
|Acts of the Parliament of Ireland||
|Acts of Parliament of the United Kingdom of
Great Britain and Ireland and the United
Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
|Church of England measures||
|Legislation of devolved institutions||
|Legislation relating to the European Union||
|This article related to government in the United Kingdom or its constituent countries is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
|This legislation in the United Kingdom, or its constituent jurisdictions article is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it
local government act 2000, local government act 2000 summary, local government municipal systems act 2000
Local Government Act 2000 Information about
Local Government Act 2000
Local Government Act 2000
Local Government Act 2000 viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.