Little Girl Blue (album)
Little Girl Blue is the debut album by jazz singer, pianist and songwriter Nina Simone, released by Bethlehem Records Simone was in her mid-20s at the time, and still aspiring to be a classical concert pianist She immediately sold the rights for the songs on this album to Bethlehem for $3,000 US$24,903 in 2016 dollars2, with the deal eventually costing her royalty profits of more than a million dollars3 Simone was dissatisfied by the lack of effort the record company took in promoting her, and after this album she formed a long business relationship with Colpix Records The album Nina Simone and Her Friends was released after she had left Bethlehem, without her consent, and comprised songs that were left over from the Little Girl Blue recording session The session was the only one ever recorded for Bethlehem4
The original 1958 album was released in mono, but a second issue the following year, by Bethlehem Records SBCP-6028, was stereo
The album was reissued by Bethlehem in 1992 on CD Bethlehem 30042, with three additional tracks from the same session: "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands", "For All We Know" and "African Mailman"4 This format was released again in 2002, as Jazz as Played in an Exclusive Side Street Club by Charly / Snapper Music SNAP 216 CD, remastered and with the addition of "My Baby Just Cares for Me Extended Version"5
- 1 Song information
- 2 Track listing
- 3 Personnel
- 4 References
|This article needs additional citations for verification Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources Unsourced material may be challenged and removed December 2015 Learn how and when to remove this template message|
- "I Loves You, Porgy" is from George Gershwin's opera Porgy and Bess This was the song that started Simone's career The single became her only Billboard top 20 hit in the United States
- "Mood Indigo" is also featured on Let It All Out
- "Love Me or Leave Me" is also featured on the soundtrack of Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss 1998 and Let It All Out The song is also famous for the middle instrumental section in the style of a Bach Invention
- "Plain Gold Ring" was later covered by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, White Magic6 and New Zealand singer Kimbra
- "My Baby Just Cares for Me" was Simone's biggest hit It was one of the last songs she recorded during the session, because the record label wanted an uptempo song to finish with The fairly obscure song became a hit when it was re-released in 1987, after it had featured in a UK commercial for the Chanel No 5 perfume It helped the almost forgotten Simone back into the limelight
- "Central Park Blues" was created and recorded in a single take The record company needed another song, so Simone drew inspiration from a photo shoot earlier in the day at Central Park
- "Little Girl Blue" is a modern example of a quodlibet In this case Simone combined the Rodgers and Hart melody and lyrics with the melody of the popular carol "Good King Wenceslas"
- "Don't Smoke in Bed" is a jazz song written and originally recorded by Willard Robison7
- "Mood Indigo" – Duke Ellington, Barney Bigard, Irving Mills
- "Don't Smoke in Bed" – Willard Robison
- "He Needs Me" – Arthur Hamilton
- "Little Girl Blue" – Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart
- "Love Me or Leave Me" – Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn
- "My Baby Just Cares for Me" – Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn
- "Good Bait" instrumental – Count Basie, Tadd Dameron
- "Plain Gold Ring" – George Stone aka Earl Burroughs
- "You'll Never Walk Alone" instrumental – Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein II
- "I Loves You, Porgy" – DuBose Heyward, George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin
- "Central Park Blues" instrumental – Nina Simone
- Nina Simone – vocals, piano, arrangements
- Jimmy Bond – double bass
- Albert "Tootie" Heath – drums
- Joseph Muranyi – liner notes
- ^ AllMusic review
- ^ Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project "Consumer Price Index estimate 1800–" Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Retrieved January 2, 2017
- ^ Simone I Put a Spell on You p 60
- ^ a b 1
- ^ "Nina Simone: Jazz As Played In An Exclusive Side Street Club", Charly Accessed 9 June 2016
- ^ ""Through the Sun Door" track listing" Retrieved 7 July 2011
- ^ AllMusic
|Live and studio albums||
Little Girl Blue (album) Information about
Little Girl Blue (album)
Little Girl Blue (album)
Little Girl Blue (album) viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.