Leone Caetanileone caetani, leone caetani books
Leone Caetani September 12, 1869 – December 25, 1935, Duke of Sermoneta also known as Prince Caetani, was an Italian scholar, politician and historian of the Middle East
Caetani is considered a pioneer and founding father in the application of the Historical method on the sources of the early Islamic traditions which he subjected to minute historical and psychological analysis1
He emigrated to Canada in 1927 with Ofelia Fabiani They brought with them their daughter Sveva, who after an appalling childhood emerged as a highly talented painter
- 1 Life
- 2 Research
- 3 References
- 4 Works
- 5 External links
Caetani was born in Rome into the prominent and wealthy Caetani family His father Onorato, Prince of Teano and Duke of Sermoneta, was Minister of Foreign Affairs in Italy in 1896 in the second di Rudini cabinet; his English mother, Ada Bootle Wilbraham, was the daughter of the Earl of Lathom His paternal grandfather, Michelangelo, had married the Polish countess Calixta Rzewuski, whose ancestor Wacław Seweryn Rzewuski had been a well-known Polish orientalist
Caetani developed an interest in foreign languages at an early age At 15 he began to study Sanskrit and Arabic on his own Later he studied Oriental languages at the University of Rome, under Ignazio Guidi and Giacomo Lignana, with an intensive study of Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, Sanskrit and Syriac languages and perhaps also Turkish Caetani spent many years researching and travelling throughout the Muslim world gathering a great deal of material on a wide range of Islamic cultures from Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Iraq, the Levant, the Sahara, India, Central Asia and southern Russia Later, one of his disciples was Giorgio Levi Della Vida He had become a corresponding member of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei in 1911 and a full member in 1919 Later on, he left his rich library to the Lincei to create the Caetani foundation for Muslim studies
Leone Caetani also served as a deputy of the Italian Parliament 1909–1913, keeping a radical socialist stance He had married Vittoria Colonna, daughter of Marcantonio VI prince of Paliano, from which he later separated;2 since 1917 he had succeeded his father as Prince of Teano and Duke of Sermoneta
Due to his family's situation, after the end of his marriage3 and to the rise of Fascism, in 1927 he decided to emigrate to Vernon, British Columbia, with his new partner Ofelia Fabiani and their daughter Sveva He later become a Canadian citizen In 1935 the Fascist regime stripped him of his Italian citizenship and expelled him from the Accademia dei Lincei; he died soon afterwards in the same year in Vancouver
Caetani made extensive analysis of sources related to the origins of the Qur'an and Islamic thought between 1904–1926 during which he collected and arranged chronologically and sequentially all known existing primary sources and materials related to the origins of Islam Caetani presented his critical analysis and conclusions regarding what he believed to be inconsistencies, contradictions and variances in the Islamic sources in his monumental work in ten volumes "Annali dell'Islam"4unreliable source5 It is still regarded today as a milestone in Islamic studiescitation needed
Caetani claimed that most of the early traditions of Islam could be dismissed as fabrications by later generations of authors6unreliable source7 He also suggested that the Arab conquests during the formative era of Islam were driven not by religion but by material want and covetousness89unreliable source
Caetani was not a Muslim and he did not believe in the literal truth of the Qur'an Instead his views about its origins were as follows As long as Muhammad was alive, he could answer any doctrinal questions that arose, so there was little attention paid to written documents The reign of his successor Abu Bakr was characterized by increasing confusion as multiple written and oral versions of Muhammad's teachings coexisted To his great credit, Uthman understood the danger of this situation; he had an official version of the Qur'an developed and ordered the destruction of all unapproved versions To summarize, Caetani thought that the Qur'an as it exists today did not come word for word from the pen of the Prophet, but was the result of a standardization and cleanup effort "Uthman's recension" undertaken many years after his deathcitation needed
One of Leone Caetani's studies, Uthman and the Recension of the Koran, is included as a chapter in The Origins of The Koran: Classic Essays on Islam’s Holy Book edited by Ibn Warraq
- ^ From Babel to the dragomans Bernard Lewis Then came a second phase, when the great nineteenth-century scholars began to apply critical method, treating Muslim historians in the same way they had treated Greek, Latin, and their own historians, trying to detect biases, distortions, variant versions and so on Here I am thinking particularly of the work of such founding fathers of our discipline as de Goeje, Wellhausen, Caetani and others
- ^ they had a son, Onorato, mentally and physically disabled
- ^ Caetani was upset by the impossibility, under the italian laws of that time, to pass his name to the illegitimate daughter he had had with another woman
- ^ Studies on Muhammad and the Rise of Islam A Critical Survey Ibn Warraq Caetani had "compiled and arranged year by year, and event by event all the material which the sources, the Arab historians offered The resultant conclusions based on the facts, which took into account the variant forms in which they were found in the sources, were accompanied by a critical analysis that reflected the methodological skepticism which Langlois and Seignobos 109 had just set forth as absolutely indispensable for the historian" 110
- ^ "Review: Annali dell' Islam by Leone Caetani" The Athenaeum 4196: 379–380 March 28, 1908
- ^ The quest for the historical Mohammed Ibn Warraq In 1905, Prince Caetani, in his introduction to his monumental ten folio volumes of Annali dell'Islam 1905 to 1926, came to "the pessimistic conclusion that we can find almost nothing true on Muhammad in the Traditions, we can discount as apocryphal all the traditional material that we possess" 108 Caetani had "compiled and arranged year by year, and event by event all the material which the sources, the Arab historians offered
- ^ Uthman and the Recension of the Koran, Leone Caetani, Volume 5, p 380-390, 1915The koran was not collected during the Prophet's lifetime; this is clearly stated by good authorities Those who are enumerated as collectors can certainly have collected only a part, for otherwise there is no explanation of the great pains to which the three caliphs, Abu Bakr, 'Umar and 'Uthman, put themselves after Muhammad's death to produce the single official text of the Prophet's revelations The tradition of the first compilation in the reign of Abu Bakr is usually accepted without questioning, but an examination of the account quickly betrays certain contradictions Thus, if the death of so many Muslims at al-Yamamah endangered the preservation of the text, why did Abu Bakr, after making his copy, practically conceal it, entrusting it to the guardianship of a woman Hafsah's copy seems, in fact, to be an invention to justify the corrections of that subsequently compiled under 'Uthman I allow, however, the probability that in the time of Abu Bakr and 'Umar, quite independently of the battle of al-Yamamah, a copy of the Koran was prepared at Medina, perhaps at 'Umar's suggestion, exactly as others were compiled in the provinces, those, namely, which were afterwards destroyed by order of 'Uthman It may be that the copy in Medina had a better guarantee of authenticity; while the statement that in the text prepared by Abu Bakr and 'Umar no verse was accepted which was not authenticated by at least two witnesses, who declared that they had themselves heard it from the Prophet, leads us to suppose that already in the first Koranic compilation other verses were suppressed which had not the required support
- ^ Introduction to Islamic Theology and Law By Ignác Goldziher p119 As Leone Caetani clearly demonstrates in various parts of his work on Islam the Arabs's drive to conquest sprang chiefly from material want and cupidity, which is easily explained by the economic circumstances of Arabia Want and cupidity fired the enthusiasm to emigrate from a land that had declined and to occupy more fertile areas
- ^ The Quest of the Historical Muhammad Arthur Jeffery Caetani holds that the great outburst, which sent Arab armies out in conquest of the surrounding fertile lands, is only the latest of a series of similar outbursts of Semitic peoples which in historical times have been disgorged by Arabia, due to the economic stress consequent on the gradual desiccation of Arabia Muhammad thus becomes the leader of this movement, religious, if you will according to the ideas of religion in Arabia at that time, but above all a politician and an opportunist
- Annali dell' Islam Milan, Ulrico Hoepli, 1905–1907, 10 volumes
- Uthman and the Recension of the Koran, Muslim World 5 1915, pp 380–90
- Study of the history of the Orient Milan, Ulrico Hoepli, 1914
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
- Caetani, Leone in Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani – Volume 16 1973
- Fondazione Caetani per gli studi musulmani presso l'Accademia dei Lincei
- LATIUM – Online Information article about LATIUM at encyclopediajrankorg
- The Caetani Family: Popes, Princes, Scholars and Artists :: Greater Vernon Museum & Archives at wwwvernonmuseumca
- The Caetani family: The Caetani Family: Popes, Princes, Scholars and Artists
leone caetani, leone caetani books
Leone Caetani Information about
Leone Caetani viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.