Leiomyosarcomaleiomyosarcoma, leiomyosarcoma cancer
Leiomyosarcoma, also referred to as LMS, is a malignant cancerous smooth muscle tumor A benign tumor originating from the same tissue is termed leiomyoma It is also important to note that while it has been believed that leiomyosarcomas do not arise from leiomyomas,1 there are leiomyoma variants for which classification is evolving
About 1 person in 100,000 get diagnosed with LMS each year2 Leiomyosarcoma is one of the more common types of soft-tissue sarcoma, representing 10 percent to 20 percent of new cases Leiomyosarcoma of the bone is more rare Sarcoma is rare, consisting of only 1 percent of cancer cases in adults3 Leiomyosarcomas can be very unpredictable They can remain dormant for long periods of time and recur after years It is a resistant cancer, meaning generally not very responsive to chemotherapy or radiation The best outcomes occur when it can be removed surgically with wide margins early, while small and still in situ4
- 1 Location
- 2 Treatment
- 3 Notable patients
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Smooth muscle cells make up the involuntary muscles, which are found in most parts of the body, including the uterus, stomach and intestines, the walls of all blood vessels, and the skin It is therefore possible for leiomyosarcomas to appear at any site in the body They are most commonly found in the uterus,5 stomach, small intestine and retroperitoneum6
Uterine leiomyosarcomas come from the smooth muscle in the muscle layer of the uterus7 Cutaneous leiomyosarcomas derive from the pilo-erector muscles in the skin Gastrointestinal leiomyosarcomas might come from smooth muscle in the GI tract or, alternatively, also from a blood vessel At most other primary sites—retroperitoneal extremity in the abdomen, behind the intestines, truncal, abdominal organs, etc—leiomyosarcomas appear to grow from the muscle layer of a blood vessel the tunica media Thus a leiomyosarcoma can have a primary site of origin anywhere in the body where there is a blood vessel4
The tumors are usually hemorrhagic and soft and microscopically marked by pleomorphism, abundant 15–30 per 10 high power fields abnormal mitotic figures, and coagulative tumor cell necrosis There is a wide differential diagnosis, which includes spindle cell carcinoma, spindle cell melanoma, fibrosarcoma, malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor and even biphenotypic sinonasal sarcoma
Surgery, with as wide a margin of removal as possible, has generally been the most effective and preferred way to attack LMS If surgical margins are narrow or not clear of tumor, however, or in some situations where tumor cells were left behind, chemotherapy or radiation has been shown to give a clear survival benefit8 While LMS tends to be resistant to radiation and chemotherapy, each case is different and results can vary widely
LMS of uterine origin do frequently, but not always respond to hormonal treatments910
Notable people who have had leiomyosarcoma include:
- Jim Boysen—software developer and recipient of world's first skull and scalp transplant11
- Padma L Atluri—writer for television series Men In Trees, 902101213
- Leicester City footballer Keith Weller who made over 300 appearances for the Foxes, scoring 47 goals Also made 4 appearances for England, scoring 1 goal 14
- Katie Price Jordan15
- Canadian public health physician Sheela Basrur 1956–2008, who developed uterine leiomyosarcoma in 200616
- American actress Diana Sands17
- Canadian comedian Irwin Barker, who was featured in a documentary, "That's my Time", which chronicled his battle with leiomyosarcoma In Barker's own words "Cancer has my body but not my spirit, and I'll continue to make jokes, not so much about cancer, but in spite of it"18
- E J McGuire Long time professional ice hockey coach, scout, and VP of the NHL Central Scouting Bureau
- Dr Amy Reed US physician who campaigned for discontinuing the use of morcellators, which have been shown to spread the disease19
- Uterine sarcoma
- ^ Kumar, Vinay; Abbas, Abul; Aster, Jon 2015 Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier pp 1020–1021 ISBN 978-1-4557-2613-4
- ^ http:wwwseercancergov "Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results SEER Program Stat Database: Incidence - SEER 18 Regs Research Data + Hurricane Katrina Impacted Louisiana Cases, Nov 2016 Sub 2000-2014 Katrina/Rita Population Adjustment - Linked To County Attributes - Total US, 1969-2015 Counties, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program" National Cancer Institute April 2017 Retrieved June 6, 2017
- ^ Serrano, Cesar; George, Suzanne "Leiomyosarcoma" Hematology/oncology clinics of North America
- ^ a b "Basic info" wwwleiomyosarcomainfo LMS leiomyosarcoma
- ^ Arnold LM, Burman SD, O-Yurvati AH April 2010 "Diagnosis and management of primary pulmonary leiomyosarcoma" J Am Osteopath Assoc 110 4: 244–6 PMID 20430913
- ^ Piovanello P, Viola V, Costa G, et al 2007 "Locally advanced leiomyosarcoma of the spleen A case report and review of the literature" World J Surg Oncol 5 1: 135 PMC 2221972 PMID 18045454 doi:101186/1477-7819-5-135
- ^ Sue Ghosh; Jonathan Hecht; Tanaz Ferzandi,; Christopher Awtrey 2007 "Leiomyosarcoma of the Uterus ULMS: A Review" The Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative Retrieved 1 February 2016
- ^ "About Chemotherapy" wwwleiomyosarcomainfo LMS leiomyosarcoma August 2002
- ^ Abu-Rustum, N R; Curtin, J P; Burt, M; Jones, W B 1997 "Regression of uterine low-grade smooth-muscle tumors metastatic to the lung after oophorectomy" Obstetrics and gynecology 89 5 Pt 2: 850–852 PMID 9166348 doi:101016/S0029-78449700033-1
- ^ Hardman, M P; Roman, J J; Burnett, A F; Santin, A D 2007 "Metastatic Uterine Leiomyosarcoma Regression Using an Aromatase Inhibitor" Obstetrics & Gynecology 110 2 Pt 2: 518–520 PMID 17666649 doi:101097/01AOG000026753356546c2
- ^ "World's first skull and scalp transplant performed on cancer sufferer with huge hole in head"
- ^ "deadlinecom"
- ^ "pforpadmaorg"
- ^ "Leicester legend Weller mourned" BBC Online 2004-11-13 Retrieved 2010-05-14
- ^ "Jordan treated for cancer" BBC Online 2002-08-11 Retrieved 2009-10-30
- ^ Gillespie, Kerry 2008-04-12 "'Can't ever give up hope,' Basrur says" The Toronto Star Retrieved 2010-01-08
- ^ Brown, Stacia "Diana Sands: What Was and What Could've Been" Retrieved 25 May 2017
- ^ "That's My Time" wwwirwinbarkercom Archived from the original on 2008-10-02 Retrieved 5 March 2015 In Irwin's own words: “Cancer has my body but not my spirit, and I'll continue to make jokes, not so much about cancer, but in spite of it”
- ^ https://wwwnytimescom/2017/05/24/us/amy-reed-died-cancer-patient-who-fought-morcellation-procedurehtmlmodule=WatchingPortal®ion=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=3&version=internal&contentCollection=wwwnytimescom&contentId=https%3A%2F%2Fwwwnytimescom%2F2017%2F05%2F24%2Fus%2Famy-reed-died-cancer-patient-who-fought-morcellation-procedurehtml&eventName=Watching-article-click
- Two Detailed Review Articles on Leiomyosarcoma
- LMS leiomyosarcomainfo Comprehensive reference site for information on leiomyosarcoma
- National Leiomyosarcoma Foundation
- Leiomyosarcoma Direct Research Foundation
- Sloan Kettering website
- #2434 Pathology images
- Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors at eMedicine
- Live Leiomyosarcoma Video Gupta Gastro Associates Unique Findings
|Not otherwise specified||
|Connective tissue neoplasm||
|Complex mixed and stromal||
leiomyosarcoma, leiomyosarcoma cancer, leiomyosarcoma foundation, leiomyosarcoma metastasis, leiomyosarcoma of the uterus, leiomyosarcoma pathology outlines, leiomyosarcoma prognosis, leiomyosarcoma survival rate, leiomyosarcoma symptoms, leiomyosarcoma treatment
Leiomyosarcoma Information about
Leiomyosarcoma viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.