Ken Cumberlandken finlay cumberland, ken cumberland
Kenneth Brailey Cumberland CBE 1 October 1913 – 17 April 2011 was a New Zealand geography academic and local-body politician
- 1 Academic career
- 2 Political career
- 3 Honours
- 4 Death
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
After a bachelor's in geography at Nottingham University College and a MSc at University College, London, Cumberland emigrated to Canterbury College, Christchurch now the University of Canterbury immediately before the outbreak of World War II After the war he moved to Auckland University College now the University of Auckland In each place he played a key role in the establishment of teaching of physical geography After retiring in 1978 he made and narrated a television series, Landmarks, on the geography of New Zealand
Cumberland was an associate of Dove-Myer Robinson and were both members of the Drainage League that opposed the Brown's Bay scheme supported by the then mayor John Allum Later, he was elected to the Auckland City Council in 1953 as part of Robinson's United Independents ticket He was re-elected in both 1956 and 1959; in the latter he was on the "Civic Reform" ticket that briefly succeeded the United Independents He was the leader of the Civic Reform group at the 1959 election
Cumberland was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand in 1973 In the 1982 Queen's Birthday Honours, he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire, for services to geography and the community
Cumberland died on 17 April 2011, aged 97 He was survived by two of his children
- ^ Pountney, Charmaine 16 July 2012 "Kenneth Brailey Cumberland" Royal Society of New Zealand Retrieved 29 July 2014mw-parser-output citecitationmw-parser-output citation qmw-parser-output id-lock-free a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-free amw-parser-output id-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output id-lock-registration a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-limited a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-registration amw-parser-output id-lock-subscription a,mw-parser-output citation cs1-lock-subscription amw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registrationmw-parser-output cs1-subscription span,mw-parser-output cs1-registration spanmw-parser-output cs1-ws-icon amw-parser-output codecs1-codemw-parser-output cs1-hidden-errormw-parser-output cs1-visible-errormw-parser-output cs1-maintmw-parser-output cs1-subscription,mw-parser-output cs1-registration,mw-parser-output cs1-formatmw-parser-output cs1-kern-left,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-leftmw-parser-output cs1-kern-right,mw-parser-output cs1-kern-wl-rightmw-parser-output citation mw-selflink
- ^ "Kenneth Cumberland" NZ On Screen 24 August 2009 Retrieved 29 July 2014
- ^ "The institutionalisation of geography in New Zealand, an interpretation: a thesis submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Geography, Massey University" Muirmasseyacnz Retrieved 29 July 2014
- ^ Edgar 2012
- ^ "Declaration of Poll" The New Zealand Herald 16 November 1953 p 16
- ^ "Declaration of Poll" The New Zealand Herald 28 November 1956 p 5
- ^ "Declaration of Result of Poll" The New Zealand Herald 5 December 1959 p 31
- ^ "List of all fellows with surnames A–C" Royal Society of New Zealand 2017 Retrieved 20 June 2018
- ^ "No 49010" The London Gazette Supplement 12 June 1982 p 40
- ^ "Geographer gave us story of NZ" The New Zealand Herald 23 April 2011 Retrieved 20 June 2018
- Edgar, John 2012 Urban Legend: Sir Dove-Meyer Robinson Hodder Moa
|This biographical article about a New Zealand academic is a stub You can help Wikipedia by expanding it|
ken cumberland, ken finlay cumberland
Ken Cumberland Information about
Ken Cumberland viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.