John M. Higginsjohn m higgins, david m higgins
John McLaughlin Higgins 17 April 1961 – 21 November 2006 was an American reporter and editor specializing in the cable television industry His writings were often cited by academics, government officials, and other journalists, and a journalism award was named in his honor
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 3 Awards and tributes
- 4 References
Early life and educationedit
Born in Rochester, New York, Higgins attended Columbus High School in Miami, Floridacitation needed At the University of Notre Dame he became deeply involved with the student newspaper, The Observer Higgins graduated from Marquette University in 1984 with a degree in marketing1
As a reporter for the Milwaukee Sentinel, starting in 1983, Higgins most often worked the police desk He turned to business writing in 1986 on the Miami Review Beginning in 1989 he joined Multichannel News where, as financial editor, he covered the cable television industry and related media In 1996, he became business editor of Broadcasting and Cable1
Higgins covered the cable TV industry in the US from 1989 to 2006 These years saw cable TV revenues more than quadruple, direct-broadcast satellite services beginning to compete with cable, a frequently-changing regulatory landscape, a boom affecting the entire telecommunications industry, and the collapse of the boom
Richard Parsons, CEO of Time Warner, assessed Higgins as "an outstanding journalist and one of the smartest and best-informed reporters on our beat"1
A former chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Richard Wiley, said after Higgins's death: "I thought he was a terrific journalist… He got right to the point He was a keen analyst, and I will really miss reading his material"1
Higgins's writings have frequently been cited in books, government reports, and Wikipedia articles234567
Awards and tributesedit
Broadcasting & Cable published tributes to Higgins after his death8 CableFAX reported on a memorial held at MTV headquarters on 12 December 2006 9 Higgins was posthumously inducted into the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame in 200710
Five years after his death, in December 2011, the SI Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University announced the establishment of the John M Higgins Award for Best In-Depth/Enterprise Reporting11 The award, part of the school's annual Mirror Awards for media industry reporting, was co-sponsored by Discovery Communications and Time-Warner Cable 12 The first John M Higgins Award for Best In-Depth/Enterprise Reporting was presented to Peter Maass on June 13, 201213
- ^ a b c d Robichaux, Mark 2006-11-26 "A Reporter's Story: Celebrating the career and life of John Higgins" Broadcasting & Cable
- ^ Compaine, Benjamin M; Gomery, Douglas 2000 Who owns the media: competition and concentration in the mass media industry Psychology Press p 257
- ^ Caves, Richard E 2005 Switching channels: organization and change in TV broadcasting Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press p 310
- ^ Waterman, David; Weiss, Andrew A 1997 Vertical Integration in Cable Television AEI Studies in Telecommunications Deregulation Washington DC: American Enterprise Institute p 187
- ^ Kaplar, Richard T; Maines, Patrick D 1995 The government factor: undermining journalistic ethics in the information age Washington DC: Cato Institute p 81
- ^ Annual Assessment of the Status of Competition in Markets for the Delivery of Video Programming, CS Docket No 98-102 PDF Washington, DC: U S Federal Communications Commission 1998 p 24
- ^ Annual Assessment of the Status of Competition in the Market for the Delivery of Video Programming, CS Docket No 00-132 PDF Washington, DC: U S Federal Communications Commission 2001 p 20
- ^ "Remembering John M Higgins" Broadcasting & Cable Broadcasting & Cable Retrieved 24 January 2012
- ^ Arenstein, Seth "The Higgins Memorial: A Velvet Elvis for MTV" Cable360 CableFAX Retrieved 24 January 2012
- ^ Broadcasting & Cable Staff 23 October 2007 "B&C Honors Hall of Famers" Broadcasting & Cable Broadcasting & Cable Retrieved 24 January 2012
- ^ "Newhouse School Establishes John M Higgins Award as Part of Annual Mirror Awards Competition" Editor and Publisher Retrieved 26 December 2011
- ^ "Mirror Awards 2012" Mirror Awards SI Newhouse School of Public Communications Syracuse University Retrieved 24 January 2012
- ^ "Mirror Awards 2012" Mirror Awards SI Newhouse School of Public Communications Syracuse University Retrieved 20 June 2012
david m higgins, dr. m higgins, john m higgins, john m higgins actor, mark m higgins
John M. Higgins Information about
John M. Higgins
John M. Higgins
John M. Higgins viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.