John Laurent Giles
John 'Jack' Laurent Giles 1901–1969 was a naval architect who was particularly famous for his sailing yachts He and his company, Laurent Giles & Partners Ltd, designed more than 1000 boats from cruisers and racing yachts to megayachts
Notable examples of Laurent Giles' work include the famous 25-foot 76 m Vertue sail numbers suggest that some 230 of these have been made, Wanderer III, the 30' sloop in which Eric and Susan Hiscock circumnavigated, and the race-winning Gulvain, the first ocean racing yacht to be made from an aluminium alloy
His famous Myth of Malham, a revolutionary small displacement yacht for John Illingworth, was inspired by developments in aeronautics; the novel design helped win the Fastnet race in 1947 and 1949 The updated Miranda IV of 1951 had a rudder mounted separately from the aft of the keel a 'spade rudder' which heralded the arrival of the modern period of yacht design
Laurent Giles described as part of his design philosophy that a yacht should have "the utmost docility and sureness of manoeuvring at sea, in good or bad weather" - his boats were designed to maintain a steady course with minimal action by the helmsman but respond instantly to the helm if the need arose
He was awarded the honour of Royal Designer for Industry in 1951
- 1 List of Designs by Laurent Giles
- 2 See also
- 3 External links
- 4 References
List of Designs by Laurent Giles
- First Yacht Lutine C&N 60'
- Jolly Boat Laurent Giles
- Lymington-L-Class 1933 and the later modified/ revised L-Class design of 1955
- Maid of Malin
- Peter Duck yacht
- Robert C Seamans ship
- Sails Of Dawn, Mc Gruer 57' 1969 final yacht before death
- Seamaster Sailer 19
- Seamaster Sailer 23
- Vertue yacht
- Vertue II- a beamier version of the original Vertue design, mostly made in GRP
- Wanderer Class, 29’9”, 9 tons
- Westerly Yachts Westerly Marine Construction Ltd - a number of designs, including their Centaur 26, Pageant 24, Chieftain 26, Longbow 31, Westerly 33, Discus 33 and Konsort 29
- Category:Sailing yachts designed by Laurent Giles
- Category:Boats designed by Laurent Giles
- Laurent Giles Naval Architects
- Sailboat designs of Jack Laurent Giles at Sailboatdatacom
- The Laurent Giles Archive includes a full register of yachts; original construction and outfit drawings for many of projects produced by Laurent Giles & partners Ltd 1927 - 1979, Laurent Giles Ltd 1979 - 1987and Laurent Giles Naval Architects Ltd 1987 - present are available
- Brief biography of Laurent Giles in Spanish
- ^ Lee, Adrian; Philpott, Ruby 3 Jan 1991 Laurent Giles: Evolution of Yacht Design Adlard Coles Nautical ISBN 0-7136-3322-0
- ^ Lee, Adrian; Philpott, Ruby 1990 Laurent Giles & His Yacht Designs International Marine Publishing ISBN 0-87742-285-0
- ^ "Wanderer III - Details of Laurent Giles Yacht" Laurent Giles Archive Archived from the original on 2015-05-18
- ^ Vigor, John 1994 The Practical Mariner's Book of Knowledge McGraw-Hill Professional ISBN 0-07-067475-2
- ^ Website for Vertue Yachts VertueYachtscom
- ^ "Westerly Centaur archive details" Yachtsnet's archive of boat details and pictures Yachtsnet Ltd Archived from the original on 2014-04-03 Retrieved 2015-10-01
- ^ "Sailboat designs of Jack Laurent Giles by year" sailboatdatacom Archived from the original on 2015-09-28 Retrieved 2015-10-01
- ^ Laurent Giles Archive
John Laurent Giles Information about
John Laurent Giles
John Laurent Giles
John Laurent Giles viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.