John Eisenmannjohn eisenman attorney, john eisenmann
John Eisenmann March 26, 1851 – January 6, 1924, was an architect in Cleveland, Ohio As part of Eisenmann & Smith he designed the Cleveland Arcade in downtown Cleveland He also designed Case Western University's Main building and was the school's first professor of civil engineering He pioneered structural steel construction in the United States and is credited with co-designing Cleveland's Arcade, "the first commercial building in the state designated an historic landmark in architecture"1 Eisenmann is also credited with designing the flag of Ohio in 190223
- 1 Arcade
- 2 Projects
- 3 References
- 4 External links
The arcade was erected in 1890, at a cost of $867,0004 It opened on Memorial Day May 31, 18904 and is an example of Victorian architecture, consisting of two nine-story buildings joined by a five-story arcade It includes a glass skylight spanning 300 feet 91 m along the four balconies4
The arcade is identified as the first indoor shopping mall in the United States5 and was built by Detroit Bridge Co, run by Stephen V Harkness4 It is one of the few remaining arcades of its kind in the United States Modeled after the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II located in Milan,4 the Arcade comprises two nine-story towers with a skylight, 100 feet 30 m high, made of 1,800 panes of glass spanning over 300 feet 91 m The construction was financed by John D Rockefeller, Marcus Hanna, Charles F Brush and several other wealthy Clevelanders of the day4 The Arcade was modified in 1939, with remodeling of the Euclid Avenue entrance and some structural supports added
The Arcade is a cross between a lighted court and a commercial shopping street, composed of three structures: two nine-story office buildings facing out to Euclid and Superior Avenues, connected via the five-story iron-and-glass-enclosed arcade4 The Richardsonian arched entrance along Superior Avenue is original but the Euclid Avenue front was remodeled in 19394 by the firm of Walker and Weeks
Vertical lines of the columns rise nearly 100 feet 33 m to the glass roof and create a spacious domed interior4 In 2001, the Hyatt corporation redeveloped the Arcade into Cleveland's first Hyatt Regency hotel The Hyatt Regency occupies the two towers and the top three floors of the atrium area The two lower floors of the atrium area remain open to the public with retail merchants and a food court In addition, the Hyatt's lobby and offices are located near the Superior Avenue entrance
ProjectseditEisenmann's original specification for the flag of Ohio,6 which he created to adorn the Ohio Building at the Pan-American Exposition
- Cleveland Arcade with Eisenmann & Smith
- Cinecraft Building 1898 Cleveland Public Library West Side Branch, 2515 Franklin Blvd78
- Esmond Apartment Building 1898, 4806 Euclid Ave7910
- Ohio Building at the 1901 Pan-American Exposition
- ^ 1 From a Case Western University website that no longer exists
- ^ http://wwwannincom/products/flag_us_ohioasp Flags of the Fifty States - Ohio
- ^ Sarah's Scrapbook
- ^ a b c d e f g h i Arcade, Encyclopedia of Cleveland History, Case Western Reserve University, 10 July 1997
- ^ "Cleveland+ Public Art" PDF Positively Cleveland 2008 p 3 Archived from the original brochure on 2008-05-17 Retrieved 2009-05-18
- ^ Eisenmann, John 1901 "The Ohio State Flag" – via Ohio Memory
- ^ a b Designated Cleveland landmarks Cleveland Planning Commission City of Cleveland
- ^ Cinecraft Building Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine includes photo City of Cleveland Planning
- ^ includes photo City of Cleveland Planning Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Cleveland landmarks list Archived 2009-07-02 at the Wayback Machine City of Cleveland Planning
- John Eisenmann
john eisenman architect, john eisenman attorney, john eisenman jeopardy, john eisenmann, john eisenmann architect
John Eisenmann Information about
John Eisenmann viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.