John C. Newjohn c. newman, john c. new
John Chalfant New July 6, 1831 – June 4, 1906 was a United States banker and lawyer who held a variety of government positions He was Treasurer of the United States from 1875 to 1876
John C New was born on July 6, 1831 in Vernon, Indiana His father was John Bowman New, son of Jethro New, and his mother was Mariah Chalfant New His brother was Jeptha D New He was educated at Bethany College, studying law and graduating in 1851
After college, New worked as a banker, publisher, and lawyer He married Melissa Beeler in 1854; together the two had a son, Harry Stewart New, born in 1858
Following the resignation of Horatio C Newcomb from his seat in the Indiana Senate, New was elected to Newcomb's former seat in 1863
His first wife died in 1867 and he remarried to Elizabeth R McRae, and the couple had two children together She was born in Louisiana on 4 February 1845 and died in Indianapolis on 19 February 1935
In 1875, President of the United States Ulysses S Grant nominated New to be Treasurer of the United States, and New subsequently held that office from June 30, 1875 to July 1, 1876 In 1880, John New purchased the Indianapolis Journal, and also became chairman of the Indiana Republican Party In this position he gathered enough power to be called the "boss of Indiana Republican politics"1
As the leader of the Indiana delegation to the Republican National Convention held in Chicago in June 1880, New led the Indiana delegation in casting 26 of Indiana's 30 delegate votes for James G Blaine2 However, Blaine did not win the nomination on the first ballot at the Chicago Convention Nor did Blaine or anyone else gather enough delegates to win the nomination for the thirty-three ballots as the convention dragged on in search of a nominee Finally, on the 34th ballot, Wisconsin cast 16 delegate votes in favor of James A Garfield, a "dark horse" candidate Immediately, on the 35th ballot, James New and future President Benjamin Harrison brought 27 of the 30 Indiana delegates over to Garfield, starting a stampede at the convention that ended in the nomination of James A Garfield as the Republican nominee for President3
In 1882, John New was again elected chairman of the Indiana Republican Party He continued to serve in this position until he was appointed the First Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, a position he held from 1882 to 1883 New also served as US consul general in London from 1889 to 1893
New died in Indianapolis on June 4, 1906
- ^ Reeves, Thomas C, Gentleman Boss: The Life of Chester Alan Arthur Alfred A Knoft: New York, 1975 p 198
- ^ Siever, Harry J, Bejamin Harrison Volume II: Hoosier Statesman American Political Biography Press: Newton, Connecticut, 1958 p 171
- ^ Peskin, Allan, Garfield Kent State University Press: Kent Ohio, 1980 p 474-476
- "Historical Background" in "John C New Collection, 1814-1936, Collection Guide" PDF Indiana Historical Society 1995-06-23 Retrieved 2012-11-05
- Biographical History of Eminent and Self-Made Men of the State of Indiana Volume II Ohio: Western Biographical Publishing Company, 1880, pp 269–270
- Dunn, Jacob Piatt, ed Indiana and Indianans Volume I Ohio: The American Historical Society, 1919, p 338
- Shepherd, Rebecca A, Calhoun, Charles W, Shanahan-Shoemaker, Elizabeth, and January, Alan F A Biographical Directory of the Indiana General Assembly Volume I Indiana: Indiana Historical Bureau, 1980, p 290
Francis E Spinner
|Treasurer of the United States
June 30, 1875 – July 1, 1876
A U Wyman
john c. new, john c. newell, john c. newell md, john c. newman, john c. newman florida, john c. newton
John C. New Information about
John C. New
John C. New
John C. New viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.