Jefferson, North Carolinajefferson north carolina blue ridge mountains, jefferson north carolina cheese factory
Jefferson is a town in Ashe County, North Carolina, United States The population was 1,611 at the 2010 census4 It is the county seat of Ashe County5
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The North Carolina General Assembly created a special commission in 1799 to create a county seat for Ashe County The commission purchased 50 acres 200,000 m2 of land to form the town of Jeffersonton, later named Jefferson It is one of the first towns in the nation to bear the name of Thomas Jefferson, who was the Vice President of the United States in 17996
The Ashe County Courthouse and Poe Fish Weir are listed on the National Register of Historic Places7
Jefferson is located at 36°25′12″N 81°28′08″W / 36419922°N 81468899°W / 36419922; -814688998
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 21 square miles 54 km2, of which 00039 square miles 001 km2, or 020%, is water4 The New River, which is part of the Ohio River watershed and is one of the oldest and most scenic rivers in the eastern United States, flows through the town
|US Decennial Census9|
As of the census2 of 2000, there were 1,422 people, 582 households, and 334 families residing in the town The population density was 7382 people per square mile 2845/km2 There were 617 housing units at an average density of 3203 per square mile 1234/km2 The racial makeup of the town was 9543% White, 141% African American, 035% Asian, 253% from other races, and 028% from two or more races Hispanic or Latino of any race were 373% of the population
There were 582 households out of which 199% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 452% were married couples living together, 105% had a female householder with no husband present, and 426% were non-families 395% of all households were made up of individuals and 206% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older The average household size was 202 and the average family size was 266
In the town, the population was spread out with 143% under the age of 18, 68% from 18 to 24, 212% from 25 to 44, 231% from 45 to 64, and 347% who were 65 years of age or older The median age was 51 years For every 100 females there were 734 males For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 707 males
The median income for a household in the town was $22,847, and the median income for a family was $34,554 Males had a median income of $26,500 versus $18,929 for females The per capita income for the town was $15,505 About 116% of families and 153% of the population were below the poverty line, including 183% of those under age 18 and 196% of those age 65 or over
- Jefferson Township, Ashe County, North Carolina
- ^ a b "Population and Housing Unit Estimates" Retrieved June 9, 2017
- ^ a b "American FactFinder" United States Census Bureau Retrieved January 31, 2008
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names" United States Geological Survey October 25, 2007 Retrieved January 31, 2008
- ^ a b "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data G001: Jefferson town, North Carolina" US Census Bureau, American Factfinder Retrieved July 3, 2013
- ^ "Find a County" National Association of Counties Archived from the original on May 31, 2011 Retrieved June 7, 2011
- ^ "History of Ashe County by Ashe County Government" Archived from the original on October 9, 2006 Retrieved October 11, 2006
- ^ National Park Service 2009-03-13 "National Register Information System" National Register of Historic Places National Park Service
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990" United States Census Bureau February 12, 2011 Retrieved April 23, 2011
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing" Censusgov Archived from the original on May 12, 2015 Retrieved June 4, 2015
- Town of Jefferson official website
|County seat: Jefferson|
jefferson north carolina blue ridge mountains, jefferson north carolina cabin rentals, jefferson north carolina cheese factory, jefferson north carolina churches, jefferson north carolina golf course, jefferson north carolina news paper, jefferson north carolina obituaries, jefferson north carolina scenic view, jefferson north carolina weather, jefferson north carolina zip code
Jefferson, North Carolina Information about
Jefferson, North Carolina
Jefferson, North Carolina
Jefferson, North Carolina viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.