Jan Hieronimowicz Chodkiewiczjan chodkiewicz
Jan Hieronimowicz Chodkiewicz Lithuanian: Jonas Chodkevičius 1537 – 4 August 1579 was a 16th-century Polish-Lithuanian noble He was Grand Pantler of Lithuania 1559, general starost of Samogitia 1563, Elder of Samogitia 1564, starost of Telšiai and Plateliai 1566, Livonia Hetman and governor, Grand Marshal of Lithuania 1566, Kaunas starost 1569, Count on Szkłów 1568, Vilnius castellan 1574
- 1 Biography
- 2 Marriage and issue
- 3 Ancestry
- 4 See also
- 5 Sources
- 6 External links
- 7 References
He was one of the most famous Polish-Lithuanian magnates of the 16th century Raised a Calvinist he studied at the Universities of Königsberg, Leipzig, and Wittenberg, and entered in the service of Emperor Charles V from 1552 to 1555 After that he entered the service of the Grand Duke of Lithuania In 1558 Jan Chodkiewicz was made Livonia Hetman and sent to defend Livonia against Tsar Ivan IV 'the Terrible' who was trying to enforce a passage to the Baltic Sea With the help of Michael Radziwiłł, Great Chancellor of Lithuania, he succeeded in attaching Livonia to Lithuania But this territory remained for long the main target of Russian attacks In 1564 he became Elder of Samogitia, in 1566 Grand Marshal of Lithuania and governor of Livonia 1566–78, with headquarter at Sigulda near Riga, and in 1574 Castellan of Vilnius
As his uncle he was a strong opponent to the Union of Lithuania with Poland The Lithuanian delegation to the meetings preparing the Act of Union between Poland and Lithuania was led by Jan, who insisted in a long impassioned speech on the equality and independence of the two nations Finally "bowing to the king's power, he pointed out those parts of the Act of Union which were unacceptable to Lithuania and he stated that he yielded to the King's will only with the deepest sorrow" In practice the Union of Lublin in 1589 made sure that the Grand Duchy of Lithuania retained its own form of government and separate laws until the end of the joint state in 1795
In 1570 Jan Hieronimowicz converted to Catholicism and became a great benefactor of the Jesuits
He married the Calvinist Krystyna Zborowska before 1559 in Krakow, daughter of Marcin Zborowski, castellan of Krakow, and Anna Konarska She remained Calvinist despite his conversion and raised some of their daughters in that religion despite their father's will
They had issue: Hieronim was born at Vilnius in 1559; Aleksander at Trakai in 1560; Jan Karol at Vilnius in 1560-61; Anna at Vilnius in 1562; Zofia at Vilnius in 1564, Elzbieta at Vilnius in 1568; and Aleksandra at Vilnius in 1576
He died on 4 August 1579 and was buried in Vilnius Cathedral
Marriage and issue
Jan Hieronim married Krystyna Zborowska h Jastrzębiec in 1559 and had seven children:
- Aleksander Chodkiewicz 1560-1626, voivode of Troki, married Eufemia Sienieńska h Dębno, the daughter of voivode of Podole Jan Sienieński h Dębno and Katarzyna Korniakt h Krucyni, the daughter of Konstanty Korniakt h Krucyni
- Jan Karol Chodkiewicz 1561-1621, voivode of Wilno and Hetman, married Zofia Mielecka h Gryf, the daughter of voivode of Podole and Hetman Mikołaj Mielecki h Gryf and Princess Elżbieta Radziwiłł h Trąby His second wife was Princess Anna Alojza Ostrogska h Ostrogski, the daughter of voivode of Wołyń Prince Aleksander Ostrogski h Ostrogski and Anna Kostka h Dąbrowa
- Hieronim Chodkiewicz died 1576, unmarried
- Zofia Chodkiewicz died 1576, married Grand Marshal of Lithuania Krzysztof Drohostajski hLeliwa
- Anna Chodkiewicz died 1626, married Prince Joachim Korecki h Pogoń Litewska
- Aleksandara Chodkiewicz, married Prince Adam Wiśniowiecki h Korybut
- Elżbieta Chodkiewicz, married Prince Jan Żyliński and castelan of Nowogródek Samuel Wołłowicz h Bogorya
|Anna of Riazan||Fyodor Bielski||Chodko Jurewicz|
|Jarosław Hołwczyński||Jawnuta Bielska||Ivan Chodkiewicz|
|Elzbieta Hlebowiczówna||Melchior Szemet||Wasylissa Hołowczyńska||Aleksander Chodkiewicz|
|Anna Szemetówna||Hieronim Chodkiewicz|
|Jan Hieronimowicz Chodkiewicz|
- House of Chodkiewicz
- Lithuanian nobility
- Grand Duchy of Lithuania
Danuta Bogdan, Students of the Republic at the University of Königsberg, in Królewice and Poland, Olsztyn 1993, p 82
Leszek Kieniewicz the Senate for the Stefan Batory Foundation, Warsaw 2000, p 299
Joseph Janowski: Jan Chodkiewicz Hieronimowicz In: Polish Biographical Dictionary T 3: Brozek Jan – Chwalczewski Francis Cracow : Polish Academy of Learning – Main Ingredients in bookstores Gebethner and Wolff, 1937, pp 361–363 Reprint: Department of National Theatre Ossolińskich, Kraków 1989, ISBN 8304032910
- Genealogy of Chodkiewicz family
- Full interactive family tree in Polish
- ^ Encyclopedia Lithuanica
- ^ http://wwwsejm-wielkipl/b/35584
Jan Hieronimowicz Chodkiewicz Information about
Jan Hieronimowicz Chodkiewicz
Jan Hieronimowicz Chodkiewicz
Jan Hieronimowicz Chodkiewicz viewing the topic.
There are excerpts from wikipedia on this article and video
Our site has a system which serves search engine function.
You can search all data in our system with above button which written "What did you look for? "
Welcome to our simple, stylish and fast search engine system.
We have prepared this method why you can reach most accurate and most up to date knowladge. The search engine that developed for you transmits you to the latest and exact information with its basic and quick system.
You can find nearly everything data which found from internet with this system.